Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! New and with a couple of questions! page

black.rabbit is offline Junior Member

Hello! New and with a couple of questions!

Primal Fuel
    Hello! I have been a long time lurker of the Daily Apple and this forum and I finally took the dive this week into living primal and I have a couple of questions!

A quick background to get an idea of my mentality and issues I am facing.

Rolling back 12 years I was a fit teenager, I was put on the Depo-provera shot by my doctor at 17 and went from a fit 125 lbs girl to a waddling, energy sapped, chubby in just a few short months. Three to be exact as I did not go back for my second dose having gained 40 lbs… No matter what I did that weight would not budge.

I got pregnant and ballooned up to 235 lbs. Through chronic cardio, starvation diets, and at times down right starvation I got down to 155 lbs and there I have stayed. Now, I joined a gym in November figuring that by paying money and going I would motivate myself to give my all. And it has worked! I still at my last weigh in sit at 155 lbs but my BMI went from 29 down to 21 in just one short month.

When I first started the gym I did the treadmill at a slow pace and kept my weight lifting moderate. Well along came December and having trolled the Daily Apple before I took some of the advice on working out and started lifting heavy and though I have not had a weigh in (want to wait until Feb after I have done the primal diet some) I see my muscles starting to peek through. Yays!

Ok, here is where I am now. I have been eating primal clean for four days now. Other than going through the urge to consume a loaf of bread on the first day I feel pretty good. However, I discovered something gross last night when I woke up. This foul, slimly, something has crawled into my mouth and died taste. Is this normal?

Also I was wondering is it best to cut my gym time in half or keep at the pace I am at now? I feel great, but I want to do the physical activity correctly. My typical week is as such.

Monday
    1 mile jog (moderate pace)
    Fully body circuit x3
    1 mile cool down

Tuesday
    Warm up and cool down same
    Lower body circuit x5

Wednesday
    Warm up and cool down same
    Upper body circuit x5

Thursday and Friday repeat of Tuesday and Wednesday

Saturday
    HIIT on elliptical 4 min. 20 second all out 10 second rest x4 followed by a mile cool down.

I really desire to have a lean cut look but do not want to get into a gym rat lope of pain and small gain. I seem to be getting big gains right now but is this sustainable? I am still very new to working out at a gym and am debating on if I suckered myself into newbie kill mode hehe.

Any insiders would be wonderful!

valeo44 is offline Junior Member
    Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question as I am just starting PB myself (I was a long time lurker on here as well ... but I just wanted to say Welcome, and I love your writing style! I'm sure someone will have an answer to your question... All the best!

Oh that's ok. I just wanted to express concerns. *puts on her floppy Noob ear's* And thank you for your compliment!

Well I sprinted like Grok and have concluded Grok is nuts! Dear Gods my poor body! However, I feel great, still have a foul taste in my mouth at night though, but I think it might be due to eating mostly meat. I have to go shopping for veggies soon. Food choices are very limited due to living in a household of non-primal eaters and a tight budget. However, I think I can pull it off. I found the fish section in my store and though the cheap end is not great, great, I figured it was better than nothing. Now to crawl into a corner and cry into my cry pillow.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by black.rabbit View Post
    Well I sprinted like Grok and have concluded Grok is nuts! Dear Gods my poor body! However, I feel great, still have a foul taste in my mouth at night though, but I think it might be due to eating mostly meat. I have to go shopping for veggies soon. Food choices are very limited due to living in a household of non-primal eaters and a tight budget. However, I think I can pull it off. I found the fish section in my store and though the cheap end is not great, great, I figured it was better than nothing. Now to crawl into a corner and cry into my cry pillow.

Well what you are having is "keto breath" or "Caveman breath"... and it can be kicking...

I have only found constant suger free gum chewing or beaverage consumption to be the only thing that keeps it at bay for me. I love primal... everything but this...

Fyi keep with it... I have lost 60lbs since Easter of 2011 and feel GREAT!!!!!!!

+1 being in for more options

Really!?! Really!?! That's wonderful! *laughs* I had a sneaking feeling that was it from the research I did a few years back on water fasting. I did a water fast for 5 days and never got the keto breath... I've been stuffed to the gills on primal food for this is the fifth day and I gots the breath! Yays! *laughs* I hope the breath goes away of course but it is nice to know that my body actually switched over! I think it might be due to burning off all my excess sugar this time around at the gym, vs when I was just lounging during the water fast. Either way I am happy. Yes, yes! *hops*

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    If you were fasting, you got into ketosis for sure. But interestingly I notice on a water fast the keto breath comes much slower for me too.

I IF pretty heavily now - I have 1 4hr eating window (basically a big primal meal and some snack while I prepare it, as well as a dessert) every 2 days (48hrs). I have found I don't have keto breath nearly as strong while fasting as when I was in ketosis but eating a lot. Never even thought about it before.

Not saying to eat once every 2 days, but maybe if you throw in a little IF it will help you balance stuff. Maybe you're a dinner eater and fast the rest of the day. Or maybe you pick a 24hr window that spans dinner and breakfast of 2 days. Im curious if IFing wll help the breath for you too!

Well. Hehe... I fell off the wagon this weekend. Namely Saturday but it was a time for celebration and I was outside of my home with very limited options as far as eats go. So yes, I fell off and I giggled and rolled around in the mud as I did so. That's right! I have no guilt what so ever for messing up on the diet or for missing the gym today. NONE! Lalalala! *laughs* Which is rather liberating because in times before it was guilt city. Different this time though which is neat. Needless to say I am back on the wagon. I got my play on today with the kid and the dog and even did some muscle building though not a huge amount. I am doing a 24 hour fast to get my body back on track and I will be breaking it tomorrow on some eggs, followed up by a gym visit. Feeling great though! Weeee!

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    You may try rinsing your mouth with BIOTENE or the new ACT for dry mouth. Usually dry mouth comes from a medicine (usually a blood pressure med) but I am not uncertain there cannot be other causes.

Welcome, I need to get some of them noob ears too.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Suggestion:

If you fall off the wagon, always try REALLY HARD to make sure it doesn't include grains of any kind It will make it easier to get back on the wagon. Plus, I am of the school of thought that even a tiny bit of grain once in a while is too much for health, even if you don't notice it on the scale. So, while staying meat & veg is best (and there really are very few restaurants where you can't get a salad or a bunless burger) I find that if I just want to be BAD, I can slip up on things like white rice/rice noodles, potato (even fries in PUFA oil) or grain-free baked goods without any real longterm harm.

You should have GRAIN FREE (or I suppose at the very least wheat free) as a rule you will not break, no matter what. You'll be healthier for it, and have an easier time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast