Thread: What's the most nutritious dish you can prepare ? page

Primal Nick K is offline Junior Member

Question What's the most nutritious dish you can prepare ?

Primal Fuel
    Greetings from <cynicism>overcast and rather dreary Belgium!</cynicism>

Being a long time reader of MDA and having done extensive research myself into nutrition, I was wondering whether "the tribe" could suggest the gram for gram, ounce for ounce, most nutritious feasts they can think of.

I recently did for my fam. pan seared wild salmon steak in butter and olive oil with the skin coated in paprika, herbs de Provence, lemon slices, sea salt and pepper.. ..with lardon (posh frenchish for diced bacon) and garlic, butter sautéed kale with cherry tomatoes (I know being a brit I pronounce it tom-ah rather than tom-aye but lets not bring Louis Armstrong or Gershwin into this )

I wanted to have a go at kale after watching one of Mark's links from a recent "Weekend love link". The inspiring Dr. Terry Wahls (catch it here TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube)

The salmon was cooked to perfection, full of taste, light and flaky. The kale was so crunchy and full of flavour it bought a tear to my eye. How can good food taste this good?

What do you reckon is the most nutritionally dense meal you can think of?

Cheers!

Nick K.

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    Probably something involving liver, leafy greens, and a root vegetable.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm, bacon wrapped chicken livers on a big spinach salad with beets and homemade vinaigrette
    =)
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Livers....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*whispers* yeah i am not a fan

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    -Blood soup with clotted blood pieces (blood only poured into bone broth after heat is turned off and taking pott off burner).
    Add vegetables like celery, cilantro, tomatos, onions if want.

-Casserole of lung, heart, liver, kidney, tongue, sweetbread and salivary glands. Add bone marrow for fat/texture. More nutrient dense would be eating it all raw.

I make both of these dishes/recipes regularly.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    -Blood soup with clotted blood pieces (blood only poured into bone broth after heat is turned off and taking pott off burner).
    Add vegetables like celery, cilantro, tomatos, onions if want.

-Casserole of lung, heart, liver, kidney, tongue, sweetbread and salivary glands. Add bone marrow for fat/texture. More nutrient dense would be eating it all raw.

I make both of these dishes/recipes regularly.
    I would really like to see your recipe list...
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Blood Soup:

Make a gallon of bone broth.
    Get half a gallon of blood...if some of it is already clotted even better, cut the clotted chunk of blood into tiny (dog kibble size) bits.
    Heat up your broth (which could have cilantro, onions, etc in it...cut very, very small, no big chunks)...and when your broth starts to simmer, pour in the fresh blood and blood chunks. Let simmer for 30 seconds until it turns brown, take off heat immediately, off the burner, too. Don't want to kill too many nutrients. The simmering is only supposed to kill pathogens. Add salt, black pepper. DONE.

Organ casserole:

Fry onions in butter on top of stove, until they turn glassy/slightly brown. (flavor)
    Chop your organs into bite size pieces or smaller, add the fried onion, add parsley, celery, tomato and whatnot...spice it up, throw into casserole dish, put lid on it. Cover the organs 1/2 with water and add 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil (or lard, or kidney fat, or butter, or bone marrow, coconut tastes best).
    Preheat oven to 350F (175 C) and cook the dish for ~2 hours. If there is no tongue in the casserole you can stop cooking sooner. Tongue gets REALLY tough after a few minutes but turns very palatable,soft at around 1hr 45 mins-2hrs.
    Best combo of meat is face (lips and all) and tongue (those 2 being 80% of the dish)...then a bit of kidney and pancreas. (Liver makes it too 'livery').
    Don't forget tons of veggies....no starchy ones xept carrots.
    Last edited by Issabeau; 01-05-2012 at 05:11 PM.

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I probably ain't doing that...haha!

More power to ya, though!