Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★ page 9

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    The machines help me as I'm still over 200 lbs and probably would just hang there if I did it any other way. The trainer at my gym told me that since I'm over 200 lbs, the machine will help my body with at least getting the motion down but he doesn't want me to try to do them without the machine until I get around 180. Come on 30 lbs!
    This was my exact situation. Struggled to accomplish it this way over the years. Turns out, the trainers were wrong and the body weight gurus like Al K. were right. Ditch the machine...its the wrong movement. When someone like Al speaks, one is wise to listen to him and ignore the trainer unless you are really sold on your trainer.

Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Learning to Do a Pull-up

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    imagine pulling the bar down towards you as opposed to pulling yourself up towards the bar.....

in other words, think the bar is moving and you are staying still....
    That's pretty cool actually... !
    My biggest struggle was understanding what my body has to do to accomplish a pull up.

I have a really hard time understanding how just a little muscle or two in my arm could move my whole body up.
    But if I imagine pulling the bar down, I can "see" how my muscles do it.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Started today! There's a pullup bar at my MMA place, so after class I did some negatives. On a couple sets I had a parter assist me back up. I think I only did five or so (veeeery slowly) but holy cats my back and shoulders are ALREADY sore.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    can I join now? I started SimpleFit this week... I'm a hot mess who can barely hang there. I'm gonna use bike grip gloves today when I go out. Great reading this thread. Thanks for all the terrific trips. I want to be comfortable with this pull up(s) business by my 50th birthday in may of 2013.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member

Darn....

just tried it and did two of them. I can't join this, hmmm or can I ?

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    I've not read all of the thread so may be going over old ground but I would try to put some exercises into your pull up routine to balance out the muscles your working. So I would recommend a super-set of Pull Ups against Military Press with a 90 sec rest in-between each set including the super-set. This way you will be working the pulling and pushing muscles in your body and retain balance/symmetry.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    I'm following the SimpleFit program, so I think I'm covered there Elliot. But thank you for that!

SkyDaver is offline Junior Member
    OK, put me in the list. I've had a pull up bar for the door frame for a while now, and this might be the kickstart I need to use it regularly.

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    This was my goal as of November of this year... so far I can do 4 reverse pull ups, progressed from chair assisted 100%... add me to the list! I want to do at least ONE pull up!! Been looking for a bar I can get under at a playground or something to try Australlian pull ups....
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For those who can't find a bar for an Australian pull-up: I found two ways to do it at the house without having a specific bar for it. I'm alternating between the two.
    1) If you have a futon, or a bed that sits a couple feet off the ground, you're in luck. Just use one of the support bars as a pull-up bar, after GENTLY testing one for stability and such. DO NOT JUST GO DO PULL-UPS ON THESE. Test to make sure that you won't break the bar or pull it away from it's sister components. I don't want to hear about someone having a mattress land on them because they didn't check. Avoid trauma, folks.
    2) If that idea skeeves you out, hang your pull up bar in the door or wherever. Then grab a kitchen stool, ladder, or other sturdy article that can resist a decent amount of weight and shoving. I use a kitchen stool shoved up against the island. The key here is to either have a partner or something to jam your "helper" against. Get up on the pull-up bar and walk you way up the "helper" object to where you need. Now, either have a friend pull it back until you're in position or shove it back into the aformentioned jammed position. This will take some trial and error, but you should be able to find a good, SAFE position.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast