Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★ page 4

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    im in. i cant do a pull up and it is one of my strength/fitness goals. hopefully i can get it done this year lol
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Put my gf down, she didn't get hers in 2011 even though she was dangerously close many times. Her name is Carolyn.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Stick at it guys, this is acheivable for you all. After shoulder surgery in 2009 it took me a long time to get build up the strength to do pull ups, I can push out quite a few of them now and they are by far my favourite exercise.

Great achievements only come with great persistance.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Something my daughter tried and it worked for her. I think there may have been some days off so call them working days.
    Day 1 - one negative (4s down)
    Day 2 - two negatives
    Day 3 - three negatives
    Day 14 - fourteen negatives
    Day 15 - one pullup

She was also working on inverted rows and I think she did some greasing the grove but the main work was the negatives.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill, wow, what a story! Sounds like it was very frustrating for you. And maybe my reading comprehension is down, but can you do a pull-up now, or do you want to sign up, or...?

Dirlot, you say you can do chins comfortably -- can you also do a pull-up? If so, you're too advanced to go on the list above -- congratulations, though! Very impressive, regardless! (Want to start a "Beyond the Pull-Up" challenge thread?) And some of us may be working on more advanced versions after achieving this goal so you have an interesting perspective. Meanwhile, thanks so much for dropping in suggestions for us!

So many people joining, this is great. 16 people so far! I updated the list on the first page. Let me know if I missed you.

What do you all think... when people on our list manage their first pull-up, should I put a little ★ by their name above?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    I'm in. =)

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member

Hi, I want to sign up too.

Right now I can't even jump and hold, so I don't know how to even get to that point (chair doesn't work either),
    But maybe if every time I walk by the pull-up bar I jump up (even if I drop immediately), maybe that will work for me.

When I wanted to join the Army I went from 0 to 19 push-ups, one of the most fun times I had in my life :-) It's silly, but it really makes you feel proud.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Been working on them myself since last month, so put me down Jenny!! At the gym I go to, they have a weighted machine that I use to help me with my pull-ups. You decrease your weight as you get stronger. I took 2 weeks off from the gym and I have improved immensely. I've decreased my assisted weight by 30 pounds! Started off at 160 pounds of assistance and am down to 130 pounds of assistance. Woot!
    Well, my story with the machines is a long trail of failure. Initially I would improve, but then have diminishing returns and never succeed. I think it was Al K. that advised to avoid the machines because they do not mimic the actual motion of the pull up. I think he was spot on...at least for me and as I get used to the muscles that are actually in use, I really think it makes sense. Once I started doing negatives and Australian pull-ups I began progressing more steadily and moved from 1 to 5 pull ups in a fairly linear fashion. Don't listen to me though...listen to the experts. I am just a single data point after all.

Let me add too, I use one of those assisted machine without the assistance on the days I am actually in the gym. It is really good to be able to stand on the foot rest you use for dips and then let yourself down from there.
    Last edited by tplank; 01-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.

kauz&effect is offline Junior Member
    I'm in! One of my goals for the year was to do 10 pull ups by the end of the year. I'm back at the gym next week. i'm already thinking that 10's a bit much...ok 5 -10.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All three added.

I've heard really mixed reports about the assistance machines. Geo, sounds like they're helping you to some extent, but if you hit a plateau at some point perhaps switching to something else (bands? negs?) may be the way to go.

But what do I know? I'm no pull-up expert myself!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast