Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★ page 20

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just added FIVE reps to my clapping chin-ups. At 20 now, and could have gone more - but I didn't want to push it too hard.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    This is slow going for me, but with the over-the-doorframe bar- standing, I can pull myself up to my tiptoes. Hanging I can pull myself up an inch or so?

Going to take awhile...

jdebelly is offline Junior Member
    Just keep listening to your husband (me). :-)

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    This is slow going for me, but with the over-the-doorframe bar- standing, I can pull myself up to my tiptoes. Hanging I can pull myself up an inch or so?

Going to take awhile...
    IME if you can raise yourself unassisted even a inch or 2 you are not far off, do you do negatives and holding your weight at the top of and half way up of a pull up position?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

MissPiggy is offline Junior Member
    Hello,

I would like to join this challenge too. My husband has installed a pull-up bar for me. But that was the easy part (and that even took a while...) I can do zero pull-ups now. I can do 10 with a lot of assistance from both my legs. Any idea how long this will take? Because there are only good 5 months left in 2012?

Greetz,
    MissPiggy

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    IME if you can raise yourself unassisted even a inch or 2 you are not far off, do you do negatives and holding your weight at the top of and half way up of a pull up position?
    I haven't done much with trying negatives yet. I do have a bar out in the garage, but I think the pull up belt we have is one of the looser ones? I think I need one that is stronger still.

Usually, it's throwing the portable bar over a doorframe and trying to do a few from standing or hanging before my kids see me doing them and want to do some too. It's scary how good my 9 year old is, and even the younger two are able to pull a little...

becks83 is offline Member
    I'd like to join too please! Although mine is more 'Do a pull-up before next March 7th' as it's on my list of things to do before I turn 30....
    I got a doorframe bar about a week ago. On first attempt I can just about do one chin-up but mostly right now I'm just working on holding myself up there for a few seconds. I guess once I can chin-up a bit stronger I will progress to working on the pull-up position. I have to take it slow anyway because I have a funny shoulder/arm and doing too much makes my right arm really hurt. But here's to the challenge!

AliceAnne is offline Member
    So happy to see progress updates & new additions. I had hoped to have my pull up by now but I am making progress. I'm using resistance bands and my progress is as follows:

March - 1 green + 1 blue bands
    April - 1 green + 1 red bands
    May - 1 green + 1 purple bands
    June (2 weeks) - 1 green band
    June (2 weeks) - 1 blue + 1 purple bands
    July - 1 blue band
    August - 1 red band - just started this, I have to kip, but I can do 5 in a row ) I'll move on from this when I can do it without kipping.

For those interested - the resistance bands from highest resistance to lowest are: Green, Blue, Red, Purple
    "Quit waiting for everything to be perfect. You have everything you need right now." - makingthingshappen.com

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/member82937.html

Paleobird Guest
    I'm so glad to see this thread thriving.

Lately I have been adding something that I think could help a lot of the ladies out there. You know that hard foam that they make you squeeze to pump up your veins for the blood bank or doctor? I got two blocks of it (about the size of a box of playing cards but you can vary this to fit) and am just doing hand squeezes while I watch tv.

It feels like it is helping me with hand strength. Women tend to have smaller hands for the same body weight compared to men so just getting a firm grip is harder for us.

They also make mechanical squeezer exercisers that you can buy at a sporting goods store but the foam is a cheap and comfortable alternative.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    I haven't done much with trying negatives yet. I do have a bar out in the garage, but I think the pull up belt we have is one of the looser ones? I think I need one that is stronger still.

Usually, it's throwing the portable bar over a doorframe and trying to do a few from standing or hanging before my kids see me doing them and want to do some too. It's scary how good my 9 year old is, and even the younger two are able to pull a little...
    Are you working on pull-ups (palms facing a way) or chin-ups (palms facing you)? I've been working on chin-ups as they are a little easier. I started by jumping up to the bar; at first that's all I could do but after while I was able to hold myself there for a few seconds. Next I worked on negatives, lowering myself as slowly as possible, over time I was able to do it in 8-10 seconds. I just kept working on that and then one day I thought I would just try a chin-up and sure enough I could do it.

I started in February never having done 1 chin-up in my life, I'm 52. Now I am up to 5. The negatives really work!

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast