Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★

Shop Now
    Just added FIVE reps to my clapping chin-ups. At 20 now, and could have gone more - but I didn't want to push it too hard.
    The remainder is an unjustifiable, egotistical power struggle
    At the expense of the American dream, American dream
    Of the American

We don`t give a damn about your world
    With all your global profits
    And all your jeweled pearls
    We don`t give a damn about your world
    Right now, right now!

This is slow going for me, but with the over-the-doorframe bar- standing, I can pull myself up to my tiptoes. Hanging I can pull myself up an inch or so?

Going to take awhile...

Just keep listening to your husband (me). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    This is slow going for me, but with the over-the-doorframe bar- standing, I can pull myself up to my tiptoes. Hanging I can pull myself up an inch or so?

Going to take awhile...
    IME if you can raise yourself unassisted even a inch or 2 you are not far off, do you do negatives and holding your weight at the top of and half way up of a pull up position?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Hello,

I would like to join this challenge too. My husband has installed a pull-up bar for me. But that was the easy part (and that even took a while...) I can do zero pull-ups now. I can do 10 with a lot of assistance from both my legs. Any idea how long this will take? Because there are only good 5 months left in 2012?

Greetz,
    MissPiggy

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    IME if you can raise yourself unassisted even a inch or 2 you are not far off, do you do negatives and holding your weight at the top of and half way up of a pull up position?
    I haven't done much with trying negatives yet. I do have a bar out in the garage, but I think the pull up belt we have is one of the looser ones? I think I need one that is stronger still.

Usually, it's throwing the portable bar over a doorframe and trying to do a few from standing or hanging before my kids see me doing them and want to do some too. It's scary how good my 9 year old is, and even the younger two are able to pull a little...

I'd like to join too please! Although mine is more 'Do a pull-up before next March 7th' as it's on my list of things to do before I turn 30....
    I got a doorframe bar about a week ago. On first attempt I can just about do one chin-up but mostly right now I'm just working on holding myself up there for a few seconds. I guess once I can chin-up a bit stronger I will progress to working on the pull-up position. I have to take it slow anyway because I have a funny shoulder/arm and doing too much makes my right arm really hurt. But here's to the challenge!

So happy to see progress updates & new additions. I had hoped to have my pull up by now but I am making progress. I'm using resistance bands and my progress is as follows:

March - 1 green + 1 blue bands
    April - 1 green + 1 red bands
    May - 1 green + 1 purple bands
    June (2 weeks) - 1 green band
    June (2 weeks) - 1 blue + 1 purple bands
    July - 1 blue band
    August - 1 red band - just started this, I have to kip, but I can do 5 in a row ) I'll move on from this when I can do it without kipping.

For those interested - the resistance bands from highest resistance to lowest are: Green, Blue, Red, Purple
    "Quit waiting for everything to be perfect. You have everything you need right now." - makingthingshappen.com

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/member82937.html

Paleobird Guest
    I'm so glad to see this thread thriving.

Lately I have been adding something that I think could help a lot of the ladies out there. You know that hard foam that they make you squeeze to pump up your veins for the blood bank or doctor? I got two blocks of it (about the size of a box of playing cards but you can vary this to fit) and am just doing hand squeezes while I watch tv.

It feels like it is helping me with hand strength. Women tend to have smaller hands for the same body weight compared to men so just getting a firm grip is harder for us.

They also make mechanical squeezer exercisers that you can buy at a sporting goods store but the foam is a cheap and comfortable alternative.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    I haven't done much with trying negatives yet. I do have a bar out in the garage, but I think the pull up belt we have is one of the looser ones? I think I need one that is stronger still.

Usually, it's throwing the portable bar over a doorframe and trying to do a few from standing or hanging before my kids see me doing them and want to do some too. It's scary how good my 9 year old is, and even the younger two are able to pull a little...
    Are you working on pull-ups (palms facing a way) or chin-ups (palms facing you)? I've been working on chin-ups as they are a little easier. I started by jumping up to the bar; at first that's all I could do but after while I was able to hold myself there for a few seconds. Next I worked on negatives, lowering myself as slowly as possible, over time I was able to do it in 8-10 seconds. I just kept working on that and then one day I thought I would just try a chin-up and sure enough I could do it.

I started in February never having done 1 chin-up in my life, I'm 52. Now I am up to 5. The negatives really work!