Thread: ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★

Threaded View

Exclamation ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★

NOTE: This thread was from 2012. If you want to join in, I suggest using this thread for 2013 instead: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread75095.html

If you can't currently do an unassisted pull-up and you are ready to set this goal, this is the place for you! Reply to sign up.

And for those of you who can already do pull-ups (either before now, or since joining this challenge), please do stick around and offer your sage wisdom and/or cheering from the top of that bar!

First, a definition: "Pull-ups" are the type with your palms facing away; "chin-ups" with palms inward are easier for most people. But we're here to do a pull-up! (kipping or dead hang, just get that chin over the bar in an overhand grip without assistance.)

Some encouragement

Some of us have never done a pull-up before in our lives, while others are trying to get back in condition to do pull-ups again. Depending on condition, inherent and trained upper body strength, etc., some will achieve a pull-up right away and others may take all year (or longer!) to get to our goal. Just focus on what it takes to get there, and try not to be dismayed by how long it may take you to get there.

The mere idea of officially signing up will be intimidating for some: "what if I can't do it by the end of the year?" I suggest that you sign up anyway as a way of making a commitment to yourself and as an additional reason to keep coming back here for tips and motivation.

Come back to this page for updates

You can come back to the first page any time for a synopsis because I'll continue editing the first few entries as follows:

• This first post has the latest sign-up list.
    • The next replies below will include an ongoing summary of useful links and tips. I started with key items from the past thread and will add more from this current one.

Rather than assume everyone from last year necessarily wants to compete again, here's a fresh list of participants. Reply to let me know and I'll add you to the list.

2012 participants in alphabetical order."★" means pull-up achieved! Still accepting signups. (Final update 2013-01-07)

abstractpersona
    adameads ★ 2012-03-28
    adzaxkan
    Aila
    AliceAnne ★ 2012-11-30
    alphamango
    Analog6
    Angieh
    artyscat
    B. Knight
    becks83
    betty301
    bigbadrobbo
    BigChris
    Bron
    Busphan
    Buzz71
    BygoneCat
    calicowgirl
    Carolyn (iniQuity's GF)
    Cassanina
    charolais.bull
    chelsealosingit
    Chickwit
    Cin
    Cybes
    elainevdw
    EmeraldRose
    excursivey ★ 2012-12-12
    Fabbecky
    Ferti
    geostump
    GoLisaGo
    Hardwarehank
    HeyChelle
    iroc8210
    IvyBlue
    Jenny
    jtgeo
    Kakes ★ 2012-02-13
    kauz&effect
    Kimelah
    kkratz57
    Knifegill
    Lex26
    Lily
    mamacaz
    Marianne
    Melisa
    metalsporks
    MissPiggy
    MFSUNSHINE ★ 2012-03-28
    Mike Gager
    missblue
    Mogs
    naiadknight ★ 2012-01-21
    OntarioGrrrl
    Patchthebun
    pbj
    PeaceKaren
    PearlTigress
    PlastiqueFruit
    Pov
    primal4fifty
    PrimalJosh ★ 2012-07-02
    recursion
    SavageCabbage
    Shanster
    Sigi
    sigzephyr
    SkyDaver
    Sunlva
    Swedish Eve
    SweetPickles
    teach2183
    thehallowprince
    thesmilingone
    TobelikeGroketta
    Tribal Rob ★ 2012-05-02
    Turnstone
    Urban Forager ★ 2012-08-08
    winencandy
    wooty
    yawaii34

Read on for the lists of of resources and tips, and after that replies from the participant community.
    Last edited by Jenny; 05-17-2013 at 06:56 AM.