Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★ page 13

PrimalJosh is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Part of today's work out equalled a mix of 69 negatives or assisted pull ups. Getting there slowly!
    Believe and achieve.

PrimalJosh is offline Member
    Two days later and bam, did my first dead hang unassisted chin up. I can work toward a pull up from there (cos that's my proper goal). Chin up is still a great effort though.
    I was just suprised as my body kept getting higher and higher and then I went 'oh I can do it' and got the chin over the bar easily.
    Could only do one though!
    Believe and achieve.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    I am frustrated....
    I bought a pull-up-bar for my door in November, but it didn't fit the doors in my appartement, so we build something instead. I took the pullup-bar to my parents to give it away for christmas to my brother, my nephews or whomever wanted it, but forgot about it and left it in the guestroom at my parents home.
    This friday we were back at my parents home and I realized that the pullup-bar was gone. I asked my father, and he just said "I took it upstairs to do pullups every other day." And then he showed me 2 perfect pullups. He just turned 65! He's lean, and moves a lot, but I never thought he could do a single pullup! I am really proud of him, but I am quite frustrated, too, because I hang on the pullup-bar like a sandbag...

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hey everybody! Sorry I've been so tremendously MIA lately. I wanted to be a better thread host than this. I will work my way through the new pages of the thread over the weekend to add to the names list above and then start in on trying to capture/summarize the key tips and links you've given the group! Thanks.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
    I am frustrated....
    I bought a pull-up-bar for my door in November, but it didn't fit the doors in my appartement, so we build something instead. I took the pullup-bar to my parents to give it away for christmas to my brother, my nephews or whomever wanted it, but forgot about it and left it in the guestroom at my parents home.
    This friday we were back at my parents home and I realized that the pullup-bar was gone. I asked my father, and he just said "I took it upstairs to do pullups every other day." And then he showed me 2 perfect pullups. He just turned 65! He's lean, and moves a lot, but I never thought he could do a single pullup! I am really proud of him, but I am quite frustrated, too, because I hang on the pullup-bar like a sandbag...
    I bought a removable bar (I rent) and it didn't fit in my door frames because they're too thick. I haven't found a solution yet, as I'm not handy so I don't think I could build anything. I found a bar that should work fine, it stays up from tension, and I'm well under the max weight of 200lbs.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Swedish Eve is offline Junior Member
    OK, this is my first post here on the forum. I did my first set of Heavy Lifting today, most exercises was the easiest set and I managed them rather well, but not able to make all the repetitions on the second set. The Pull-ups however feels quite ridiculous. I have my feet on a stool and can not make more than 2 with help from both legs, and are not able to get my head over the bar either. Now I was never able to make pull-ups, not even when my weight were 110lbs less than today so no wonders I am not able to make it today.

This challenge seems to be the right place for me.

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Eve View Post

This challenge seems to be the right place for me.
    Hej Eve -- Don't worry, you're in good company here! Lots of us are currently hopeless with pull-ups, but are trying. Remember, we have until the end of the year--not tomorrow--to actually accomplish this challenge :-) Personally, I think I will be lucky if I manage one by New Year's Eve!
    My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Count me in! (I'm a little late to the challenge.) I have been practicing negatives and pull ups with a little jump assistance. I can almost do one... it takes a little kick at the end to get me there!
    I know I will be able to do a really great unassisted within the next few months!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Count me in too, I used to be able to do about 5 pull ups years ago when I was much lighter, but now can't even do one. I've had a couple of goes at the trim trail in the park on the low bars, which I am just about tall enough to get my nose up to if I go onto the points of my toes.

I've ordered one of those Iron gym door pull up bars from the ebay so should get that this week. What I really want is to be able to do 5 propper pull ups by the summer, at the park out in the fresh air, that and to be able to do the monkey bars there as well

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Can I offer a little advice as someone who can do them but is always trying to get better. I can currently do about 10 or so but it's taken a while to build up. Two friends and I started training together with the pb philosophy about a year ago and could only do one reps chin ups at the start. We've worked hard to get better.

The trouble with pull ups is getting better, I for one always tend to do what I can which doesn't improve anything. So what me and my training partners do is negatives and cheats. This helps.

Negatives do your normal set of whatever then on the last one hold it at the top a count of ten. Lower halfway and hold for ten then back up if you can to finish.

Cheats - on the last set we get one of those half balance balls and use it to jump up which tends to get us half a rep. We set a goal of say 15 reps and cheat our way there.

All this means we're doing more than we normally could and it ends up with us improving.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast