Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: ★ ★ ★ Challenge Yourself: Do a Pull-Up in 2012 ★ ★ ★ page 12

chelsealosingit is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am so in - this was one of my main goals for going Primal (trying to avoid restricting myself to weight loss goals). I am currently doing pullups on an assisted pullup/dip machine, but I'm planning on getting a pullup bar for home in the next few weeks so I can start doing the negative pullups and foot-assisted pullups Mark (and others) recommend(s).

Great challenge for 2012!

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    Today's baby step toward a pull-up was doing bicep pulls on the TRX--handles above my head, feet on the floor, deadweight body, and just puuuuuull. Somewhat equivalent to chair-assisted pull-ups on an official bar I would think. Three sets of 10 reps each, and I was so very, very finished. Still, it felt great to take this tiny step toward the ultimate goal--although I'm wondering if I'll even be able to lift my arms to brush teeth tomorrow morning!

otzi Guest
    My goal for 2011 was to do 20 pullups. In Jan 2011, I could do maybe 1. By June I was doing 10 and can now easily do 20.

Things that helped me: Do pullups whenever you can. Focus on form more than numbers. Don't go to failure every day, but 1 or 2 short. Go to failure once every couple weeks, just to guage your progress. Switch up the grip: over hand, underhand, one of each hand, wide, narrow.

For the last couple months, I have been doing reverse pyramid pullups. 10, 8, 6, 4, 2. Rest 1-2 minutes between sets. I can normally do 22 to failure, but this is 30!

I alternate pullups and chinups on different days, MWF - pullups, TTH - chins. I can do way more chins than pullups, but they work a completely different set of muscles.

I haven't done any weighted pullups, but may give that a try this summer.

Cheers!

wooty is offline Member
    i'd like to join in on this! i've always been able to lift a lot of weight, but have never done a pull up!

PrimalJosh is offline Member
    I started simplefit (simplefit.org for those of you haven't been there before) and work out one I did 69 negatives (3 subs equal 1 normal pull up in sf) and today another 30, along with plenty of push ups and squats.

Before I started today's session I tried chinning from a dead hang and there was a lot more movement than even a week ago. Greasing that groove!
    Believe and achieve.

Mogs is offline Junior Member
    Count me in! Last year was push-ups (up to 35 in 1 minute) and this year is pull-ups. Tested myself on the assist machine today and I'm down to 24lbs of weight assisting me. I've never been able to do a pull-up, but I feel like I'm close!

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

Things that helped me: Do pullups whenever you can. Focus on form more than numbers. Don't go to failure every day, but 1 or 2 short. Go to failure once every couple weeks, just to guage your progress. Switch up the grip: over hand, underhand, one of each hand, wide, narrow.

For the last couple months, I have been doing reverse pyramid pullups. 10, 8, 6, 4, 2. Rest 1-2 minutes between sets. I can normally do 22 to failure, but this is 30!
    Thanks, Otzi -- this is great advice to follow. I don't have a bar, but am trying to use my arm muscles in any way possible lots of different times during the day. Then check my progress during a once/week TRX workout. I'm going to start investigating the home bar options in a few more months. Any recommendations?

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Currently I don't make any progress at all. I try hard, but I am down from 3 or 4 assisted pull-ups to 1-2 assisted pull-ups. I don't know what's going on, but it's a little bit frustrating

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I did a semi-kipping pullup!!!! I did 5 of them! Semi-kipping because I was standing 3" off the ground to give my arms a 30* bend at the elbow and then jumping, but it counts, dammit!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

mamacaz is offline Junior Member
    Well I finally got out there in the garage and down to the playground with the kids. I can manage a few decent negative chins but can only hang and lift an inch or so in the pull up position. Was it Primal4fifty who said about bike gloves? Not sure about affecting my grip but my hands are letting me down big time.

Thanks to everyone for the videos and advice (and warning on the rhabdo, eek!), this is just what I need. Can't wait for the kids to go back to school as we wallk thru the playground twice a day (well 4 x actually, so no excuses!) - loads of hanging potential there.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast