Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal for One Month and now depressed page

afroette is offline Member

Primal for One Month and now depressed

I have been doing primal for the past month. I haven't cheated since I began. Lately, I have noticed that I am feeling sooo low. I don't want to eat, even if my body feels hungry. I am tired but I do not sleep well. I feel "blah" and "ugh." This may be indicative of the depth of my sugar addiction, but I just feel that there is no meaning to this all. I want a brownie, maybe?

When I first began my carbs were around 50-75gs, excepting some fruit binge days, but I have since cut out fruit when I noticed that one dried fid turned into 9. So for the past week or so, I have been under 50gs. I also cut out dairy recently, when my lactose intolerance reared its gaseous, cramping head.

What can I do to get over this hump? I am afraid I'll go devour an entire cake! I have a knee injury that still needs to heal some, so I cannot exercise for, I assuming, at least another week.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried carbs from other sources? Sweet potatoes, for example? What's your fat intake look like? What about exercise?

you supplement vitamin D?

I do supplement with Vit. D. I am Vit. D. deficient. Sometimes I will eat squash or pumpkin. I could also eat sweet potato.

I exercised at the beginning and injured my knee. I am waiting for it to heal.

At first I felt jubilant with this way of eating. Now I just sigh.

ETA; I do eat a lot of fat. Olive oil, coconut, butter, or avocado added to every meal, sometimes seasame oil. I also eat nuts for a snack.
    Last edited by afroette; 01-05-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

My first thought is to wonder if your brain/body is getting everything it needs.

I don't think there's anything wrong with experiment with dense carb sources--throw in some sweet potatoes and see what happens.

Are you eating enough fat? That stuff is really important for your brain. If you're not eating enough, then it might have adverse affects.

I understand the knee issues, but I also don't think that totally precludes activity. You could still do some activity. Hell, you could sit on your bed and shadowbox.

Lastly, maybe it's a bigger issue, and you need to go talk to a doc about it. Have you checked out the Paleo Physicians Network to see if there's anyone close to you? Paleo Physicians Network

Well, I do the prescribed exercises to strengthen the muscles surrounding my knee. I need to google shadowbox.

I will buy a sweet potato this evening and pray that I don't shove the entire thing down my throat. I am getting most of my calories from fat, >50%, according to fitday.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

Man--from where I'm standing--I think that you should eat the whole sweet potato. All of it. I don't see why that's going to be a bad thing for you. Sweet potatoes are a really solid starch source, and I've found that it's REALLY hard to overeat on them, they're dense enough that you get full before you've done much damage. If you're scared of food, and doing some kind of significant calorie restriction, there's all kinds of nasty effects that can have you on mentally and physically.

Shadow boxing is ridiculously easy--you're just punching the air. Hard. Like you really hate it. It sounds silly, but you can work up a lather surprisingly quickly.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Rest more, relax and do something nice. Try to forget about food. If you do not want to eat, do not eat. If you need to eat the entire sweet potato - eat it. Go to the foods that are as basic and as simple as it gets. Don't eat dry fruit. Have a piece of a fresh fruit instead, like buy yourself 1 grapefruit with your sweet potato. You are probably carb-fluing, and since you can't workout, don't push, just relax, and wait it out and make things better for yourself in other way than crappy food. Have a bath, go for a ride, visit a library, get a funny movie, soak in a hot tub or a steam room... anything.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    If you're getting enough fat, then you may just need to up the carbs. Some of us don't do so well on so few. I would be worthless and hopeless on the amount of carbs you are consuming. I eat a baked potato a couple of times a week (not even a sweet one--shhhh).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's not that I am restricting calories, as I eat as much meat, fat, and veggies as I want. I just have trigger foods that I am trying to avoid, and if I taste anything sweet, the sugar monster takes control of me. Seriously, I can't even have a pack of sugar-free gum because I'll eat it all in an hour. Sweet potatoes have always been treated as desserts by me. I can eat a squash without getting crazy though.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast