Thread: New to Primal; Former Distance Runner page

fleet_fox is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hey everyone,

I've been extremely busy the past few days reading the forums and Mark's posts. The book is on the way from amazon. I have been primal since Sunday and am doing pretty well with it. I have one main question:

As a former distance runner (I ran through college, graduated in June, and haven't really been running since) I am fairly skinny. (5'7, 135-140 lbs depending). In other words I don't really want to lose weight. My former diet included lots of carbs (pasta rice or couscous every night etc).

At the same time, I am finding it hard to eat as many calories as I think I might need. I am feeling pretty full at the end of meals and very hungry by the next meal time with intermittent snacking on raisins/almonds etc. But I don't think I have broken 2000 calories since starting the primal diet on Saturday.

Should I be worried about this? I would like to add some lean muscle mass to my lanky runner frame if possible and I definitely don't want to lose too much weight (I am lucky and don't have much fat to lose)

Thanks for your help!

Geoff is offline Member

Congratulations and welcome. I'm a "recovering" marathoner, so I can understand where you're coming from. Sounds like you've been living on the typical runner's diet, and it may take you a while to transition to a real "fat burning" mode. I wouldn't worry about the amount of calories you are consuming right now - just eat Primal foods (focusing on fat) when you're hungry. If you're really making fat your focus you'll automatically increase your caloric intake. Also, almonds and (particularly) raisins may be a little carb heavy - experiment with lower carb alternatives (hard boiled eggs, veggie sticks with baba ghanoush).

Have you read Mark's post on building muscle here?