Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why should a newbie wait to start IF? page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

Why should a newbie wait to start IF?

Primal Fuel
    I am a newbie to Primal Living (4 days in) with only about 10 lbs of fat to lose. I have a hard time both losing and gaining weight, so I am pretty sure just sticking 100% primal diet won't be enough for me to make a significant fat loss.

I have heard that IF can help people really lean out. But I have also heard it mentioned that newbies to primal shouldn't try IFing right away.

What's the reason for that? Would it be damaging to start IFing now, even though I have just recently adopted the primal lifestyle?
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I think it's to give your body time to adjust and regulate blood sugars. I am insulin resistant and it took about 6 weeks of eating 100% primal before I stopped getting hypoglycemic symptoms. After that I just felt ready for weekly fasting. I think you'll know when you're ready to IF - decreased hunger, level sugars, etc.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    It think is has to do with 2 things... first... going primal is already a big change... make one at a time... Second as posted above... get over the carb flu first so your body is not starving at the cellular level then fast away.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You should become keto-adapted first. That is, your body should be able to switch back and forth between using fat for energy and glycogen for energy. If you've been eating a typical diet, you aren't adapted to using fat for energy. You will feel weak and hungry, even dizzy or faint, if you go without eating for a long time. Give your body a chance to switch itself over to a more flexible energy-burning system. Then if you use IF, it will be painless. In fact, it's when you can go a day without eating with no suffering and even feeling great that you'll know you are adapted. And once you're adapted, your body will be able to use its own fat stores for energy while you fast, and you'll feel energetic and strong, not weak.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

otzi Guest
    Many folks don't need to IF. Try Primal Blueprint eating and exercising for a month or two. If you aren't meeting your goals, then try the different tweaks available (IF, carb refeeds, leptin reset, macro manipulation, exercise duration/intensity).

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the insight, everyone! I'll hold off on IF for a little bit and see how things go.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    No need to over-complicate this: Do one thing after the other. Switching to paleo and eating much less carbs than before is a major change for your body, so you should give it some time to adapt. Once this new way of eating is the new normal for you, you can start introducing other changes. Of course you can also try to change 5 things at once, but IMO then there's a chance that the changes will simply over-stress your body.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Let me be the one to say, you don't have to wait to IF.

I fasted regularly pre-Primal, and did just fine at it. In fact it was a HUGE help with my CW weight loss. Fasts would last from 16 to 36 hours, depending on the circumstances.

It just comes more naturally once you're Primal and used to using fat for fuel.

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    I think this is an individual thing. What was your nutritional intake like pre-primal. Were you someone who ate 3 meals and 2 snacks a day ala conventional wisdom? Or perhaps you already skipped breakfast.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa120 View Post
    I think this is an individual thing. What was your nutritional intake like pre-primal. Were you someone who ate 3 meals and 2 snacks a day ala conventional wisdom? Or perhaps you already skipped breakfast.
    Yup, 3 meals & 2 snacks kind of CW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast