Thread: Fraudulent Olive Oil page

dprest is offline Junior Member

Fraudulent Olive Oil

Primal Fuel
    This may be old news to some of you at MBA - butt it is new to me. Recent reports have indicated that a lot of the supposed "quality" olive oil imported from Italy and Greece (first cold pressed, extra virgin, etc, etc) is actually highly inferior quality. The news indicated that politicians in these countries are cooperating with the mob to put out low grade olive oil (or who knows what) and market it as the quality stuff. I guess this really is not too surprising. I currently get the extra virgin, first cold pressed olive oil imported from Italy (I get it at a small middle eastern grocery). I cannot really afford the local olive oil due to very high price (here in TX)

I wanted to inquire if there are any brands that have a reputation for quality control. Zoe is out of Spain and I wonder if that passes the QA test. I would appreciate your insight. Thanks.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    I don't know that I can help you much with brands or sources. I buy my olive oils through a company called The Rare Wine Company in CA. They bring in Italian EVOOs, mostly from wine producers, and they are amazing oils. I usually get a case per year of their oils, and then I buy a few bottles at my local co-op for when I want to make mayo.

I remember seeing someone post recently about not using EVOO to make mayo because it results in a bitter mayo. To me, that was a sign that someone had bogus oil. The mayo I make from EVOO is never bitter in any way, and in reality, tastes way better than anything from a store.

I'm sure some others will have specific brand recommendations for you. I know that Colavita seems to do well in taste tests and is widely available. Also, the Whole Foods "365" brand is pretty popular.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Here is my take... Stick in fridge... if it turns solid... it is mostly monounsaturated and not diluted with soybean or anything.

I wouldnt overthink it

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Okay then~ my brand new unopened bottle of *imported from Italy* EVOO has been in the refrigerator for 11 hours~ still liquid~ how long do you think it will take to solidify (assuming it's the real thing)?

onalark is offline Senior Member

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Okay then~ my brand new unopened bottle of *imported from Italy* EVOO has been in the refrigerator for 11 hours~ still liquid~ how long do you think it will take to solidify (assuming it's the real thing)?
    If it is a big bottle it takes a while.... I dont keep mine in there... but I do make salad dressing with it and after a day or two it turns solid in the smaller bottle.... Put some in a dish or cup (2 tbs) and see if that turns solid in a few hours... not the whole bottle

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    If it is a big bottle it takes a while.... I dont keep mine in there... but I do make salad dressing with it and after a day or two it turns solid in the smaller bottle.... Put some in a dish or cup (2 tbs) and see if that turns solid in a few hours... not the whole bottle
    Good idea~ it's just a 750ml bottle, but still liquid this morning~ put about an ounce in a little container~ we'll see~ One thing, as I learned on the other thread, I'll be sure to buy Trader Joe's EVOO from now on~