Thread: Cholesterol confusion page

Heidrun is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol confusion

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I've been following a diet closely related to Paleo for 5 months. It's called the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet); you've probably heard of it. I'm using it to heal my Crohn's disease and my results so far have been out-of-this-world fantastic. I'm now med-free and inflammation-free for the first time in 11 years. WOW!

I just got back from an appointment with my doctor. Lately, every time she's had my bloodwork done, it's come back indicating high cholesterol. Before SCD, it used to always be the HDL that was high, the LDL was in the normal range, but the HDL was so high that it made the "total cholesterol" value high as well. Today was the first blood test after starting SCD and the LDL was really high (4.67 mmol/liter, as opposed to the normal range of up to 4.12), whereas the HDL was more or less the same as usual, so a little on the high side as well.

All of this has my doctor concerned. Me, not so much. I would still like to know what's going on. If this continues, she will want to medicate me, and I definitely don't want that. I've read a couple of the articles on here about cholesterol and I feel well-informed enough to know that killing the cholesterol is probably never such a great idea. Of course, I've been eating a lot more protein and fat lately. Saturated fat, too. I am a believer in the theory that this is actually good fat. However, the outcome of the bloodwork seems to confirm that saturated fat causes high cholesterol. Please say it isn't so, and what else could be the reason. By the way, the triglycerides are normal.

Thank you in advance!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    You need this

js290 is offline Senior Member

Thanks, guys. I already know that LDL is far from being a bad substance. I would still like to know why it's so much higher NOW than it was before starting the diet.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    From my understanding and someone correct me if i am wrong BUTTTTTTT if you switch from pattern b to pattern a ldl with the same number of molecules you will read a higher number because of the volume of each going up

@NorthernMonkeyGirl: Thanks for posting the link. I read it thoroughly and did all the math. Turns out my cholesterol is ideal in all ratios. And she's talking about putting me on statins! Insanity. Thank you again! You made my day.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Remember, without cholesterol you'd have no cell walls. You'd be a puddle.

Next, noone has established what are safe or, more to the point, unsafe levels of lipoproteins when one is on an antiinflammatory diet like primal. When your metabolism is healthy, you may trust that your body is producing the lipoproteins because it needs them

If you're still worried then check out the following:

* thyroid problems can down regulate LDL receptors on cells, resulting in high amounts of LDL remaining in the blood. The problem here is that it seems that few physicians or endocrinologists even can properly diagnose and treat thyroid problems

* very low carb diets can down regulate production of the thyroid hormane T3, which down regulates LDL receptors as above. Maybe just increasing your safe starches will reduce LDL

Finally, I look at my high by conventional wisdom LDL like this: my body is no longer inflammed or fighting disease. These require LDL so LDL stays high, ready to fight any pathogen that may attack
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine