Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative for sandwiches page

ChrisS is offline Junior Member

Alternative for sandwiches

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

Sandwiches are something I eat all the time (or rather, used to now I've started this) but I find it hard not eating them. So is there any non-wheat primal alternative that can be used instead of bread to make sandwiches with? I really can't think of any. /:

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Look for the Riven's Angry Bread... it's an older thread on here about making a slice of almond/flax meal bread.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Break the habit of needing sandwiches for lunch all the time. The less time you spend making something it's not the more time you have to spend on finding delicious alternatives.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    OO OO i know.... I do this ALLLLL the time...

Make roll ups!!!!!! Take some lunch meat (prime rib or london broil is my fav) and roll it up with some cheese lettuce and so forth... Make 3-4 of them stuffed full of goodies and you just had a great primal meal on the go!

Fyi l also like a little hot sauce in mine for kick since I dont really use mayo often and I am to lazy to make it lol

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    take all your sandwich ingredients and put them on a plate or in a bowl. Now, eat them. Problem solved. Instead of trying to find substitutions for bread, start thinking of food in new ways.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    take all your sandwich ingredients and put them on a plate or in a bowl. Now, eat them. Problem solved. Instead of trying to find substitutions for bread, start thinking of food in new ways.
    +1

nenie777 is offline Junior Member
    while the advice to ditch sandwhiches completly is valid, i understand it can be difficult when you first transition to primal/paleo.
    Elanas Pantry has many wheat free recipes (while not everything on this site is primal/paleo, it is a great resource for ideas and recipes)
    i have made the Bread 2.0 recipe from this site (heavier than normal wheat bread, but very tasty and satistying for that sandwhich urge)
    Bread 2.0 | Gluten Free Bread Recipe - Elana's Pantry

there is also another recipe for Paleo Bread, i haven't tried yet that looks lighter and doesn't use arrowroot powder: Paleo Bread | Healthy Gluten Free Bread Recipe - Elana's Pantry

Hope this helps.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    +1 on the rollups and the bowl method. I sometimes just wrap the meat around some cheese.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Just use two fried eggs (over hard) instead of bread.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I am a sandwich addict. Seriously. Could eat them for every meal. I knew giving them up would be difficult for me.

So far, the only thing I have found is to use a lettuce leaf as bread. I just roll up my sandwich ingredients in a romaine or red lettuce leaf. It seems to work for any meat, tuna salad made with avocado, etc. Not QUITE a sandwich, but the best substitute I've found for a sandwich lover like myself.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast