Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly makes nuts better than non-gluten, non-wheat grains? page

Teggles is offline Junior Member

What exactly makes nuts better than non-gluten, non-wheat grains?

Shop Now
    Because honestly, they seem to be exactly the same to me. Phytic acid, lectins, enzyme inhibitors. All nuts/grains/seeds have similar amounts. Anything that isn't wheat has no WGA, anything that isn't wheat/rye/barley has no gluten.

I want science - "cavemen didn't eat it" won't do.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are a source of protein for vegetarians and a crutch for people who won't give up snacking or are into faleo baking

I only have them if served integrated with the meal. In general I think they are best avoided.

That being said, they are paleo to the extent that we can harvest them without industrial technology. However, one would only get low quantities at specific times of the year without the technology
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    You're also not eating 6-11 servings a day of nuts like the government would like for you to do with wheat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Nothing. In fact, they are worse, imo, because they have bad fats and are addictive.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can eat way fewer nuts and receive more nutrition than with industrial grass seeds. So in that way they are better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    This site has a ton of info on each nut The Natural Food Guide to Common Nuts
    we commonly eat. You can see from reading it which are the best choices. It will give you some of the answers you are looking for.

Some nuts have a better N-3/N-6 profile.

The way I see it is that there is nothing in wheat that is good for me.

I can use nuts not as a snack crutch or flour substitute but as a way to get some important nutrients, such as selenium from one brazil nut daily, or some omega 3 from walnuts in a pesto to put on meat.

BrassyDel is offline Member
    I eat raw nuts for the micronutrients, too. My n=1 is that I feel better including them in my diet regularly (SMALL servings). I've wondered the same about anti-nutrients, but I've been going with how they make my body feel.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I was just reading one of Mark's posts about improving cholesterol and reducing inflammation, and came across his suggestion:

" 4. Raise your good cholesterol! We tend to focus on the negative, but it’s equally important to raise your good cholesterol. Do this with a daily serving of essential fatty acids from avocados, nuts, olive oil, nut oils, and nut butters." 8 Foods to Lower LDL Cholesterol, Boost HDL Cholesterol, and Fight Inflammation | Mark's Daily Apple

So it seems one benefit of nuts is that they increase good cholesterol.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The question is not about wheat, it's about non-glutenous grains.

You can eat way fewer nuts and receive more nutrition than with industrial grass seeds. So in that way they are better.
    Negative, in my case. I can prepare 1/4 or 1/3 cup of buckwheat or millet, enjoy it, and leave at that, but I can't stop eating nuts and nut butters. 1/4 cup of nut butter is like a drop in the ocean of my desire, and 1 nuts is a miserably small serving. I can sit in the evening and drink tea with nut butter till infinitum if I did not control myself. So, I am not eating nuts. I am not eating grains either atm, but I likely will once in a while in the future as a cheat. I will not keep nuts in the house though, and will only buy as much as I need for a one particular dish (beet and walnut salad).

I actually found an almond under the seat of my car that my baby dropped, and it's still waiting to be tossed out. I have had at least 3 conversations with it. I told it outright how much I hate it, and all its brethren for keeping me away from slim thighs for so long. It kind of empowers me when I get out of the gym tired as hell after my 14 hour day....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are very excellent if you'd like to gain some fat. There are always those few on here who are like "how do I gain on paleo." Um, easy: buy a load of macadamias and spent some QT with the bag. There are like 4 pounds of bodyfat right there in that bag, which you can grab from like popcorn...

Since most of the people here complain about the opposite problem, nuts are only useful for a yummy good time (there are far better alternatives for "baking," "health," and "snacking").

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast