Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grok: Deployed page

Quickdraw is offline Member

Post Grok: Deployed

Primal Fuel
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 182 as of November 13; no scale access at the moment
    Context: US Marine deployed to the Pacific

I had already intended to cut out grains on this deployment as part of my general strategy of weight-loss, especially after reading Wheat Belly. My research took me further afield and I found myself reading PB while in the Cambodian jungle for training, and that's when a lot of things clicked.

My wife and I already ate pretty healthfully; I'd maintained a weight between 180-185 since our wedding. We walk, we hike. But PB gave me the missing components, the framework of understanding why I still have some belly fat after 5 years of active duty and constant "good" eating.

Being Primal aboard a ship isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world. The food choices are limited, and there are some meals I just have to outright skip because every dish involves grains. I've got a drawer full of primal snacks: jerky, nuts, tuna pouches, dried fruit, etc. I reserve my occasional "cheat" for liberty ports, because once-in-a-lifetime cultural experiences are not the time to get dogmatic.

I'm hoping that journaling here will help me keep track of things, but I've gotta say that this comes pretty naturally. It's like this is how I was programmed to be. Watching my fat teammate stuff himself with grains and lament continually being hassled over his fatness has become doubly irritating now that I see how simply he's sabotaging himself.

I'm lucky, breakfast is always primal friendly: eggs, bacon/sausage, and fruit are always available. The other meals are pretty hit-or-miss. The quality is all pretty low, but it's still something. The other meals I tend toward whatever protein isn't mixed with pasta/rice/etc, veggies and a salad. For exercise I have all the walking around the ship all day, climbing ladders, and my martial arts class, along with probably half an hour daily of simple cardio and half an hour of bodyweight/simply dumbbell exercises.

That's where I'm at now. I really need to see if I can get on a scale and check my progress, because photos of my promotion made it look like I've already lost a substantial bit of weight in the last 2 months...

So let's see how this goes, shall we? Can I find my abs before the deployment ends in the summer? Here's hoping!
    About Me | Journal: "Grok: Deployed"
    "Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James Mattis

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for helping to keep us all safe and able to freely eat our meat and veggies and run and play! Good luck with your plan and hope all goes well.

Melisa is offline Member
    Grundy Center, Iowa (Not exactly primal friendly in the land of corn and confinements!)
    I agree! Thank you so much for serving! Not weighing can be frustrating, but is there a way you can measure instead? (Biceps, chest, waist, etc)
    It breaks my heart that you say your food quality is 'pretty low'. You and your fellow shipmates deserve the best.
    Melisa Anderson
    Holistic Wellness Coach, Personal Trainer
    1-1-12: 175lbs

"Live a fearless life and stay focused on things you wish to have or things you wish to see happen in life.
    "The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear." ~ Brian Tracy

Yesterday:
    B: Eggs and bacon
    L: Chicken burrito with sour cream
    D: Chicken breast, green beans

Exercise: 20 minutes of intense pullups, planks, leg lifts, curls, and squats.

Worked an all-nighter, same breakfast again, then helped move a lot of heavy cases of gear around, and now I'm back working instead of being allowed to go to bed, 29 hours awake and counting.

Melisa: There's a scale at medical I've learned, I should be able to weigh in there if I run it past the docs.

The food quality is indeed pretty low. Like I mean, the eggs at breakfast are fresh but probably not very high-grade, and most of the proteins have that ultra-massed-produced, college/school/prison quality to them (the burgers that are clearly 10c of extruded beef scrapings vs actual ground beef, etc). The salads at least are halfway decent, but extremely plain. It still beats MREs though, so I try to look on the bright side: those things are about 3/4 carbs, refined sugars, HFCS, and PUFAs, meaning I have no choice in the field but to eat things I KNOW are terrible for me.

(All times/dates local to the ship)

1/6
    Overnight: 2 cans Dr. Pepper (overnight shift was zero warning and I couldn't afford to get tired; my system handled it ok)
    B: Eggs/sausage/grapes/apple
    L: Skipped, went to bed
    D: Slept through

Exercise: Moved a bunch of gear from one cargo area to another. Then went to an exhausted sleep (out like a light for 5 hours), woke up to handle a few things that needed doing in the evening, and slept another 10 hours.

Thanks for all the appreciation, guys. I love what I do and I'm happiest when other people exercise their freedoms.

1/7:

Breakfast: Eggs/bacon/strawberries/apple
    L: Sheep kabob wrap
    D: Cold Stone medium ice cream, assorted jerky/nuts/dried berries

(The few opportunities we get to get off the ship, I allow myself to cheat within reason.)

Exercise: 6+ hours of walking around a city.

1/8-1/9-1/10

Food: Lots of Arab food, little regard given to primalness. When there was buffets, I tried to keep the seconds to meats and veggies.
    Exercise: Walking everywhere.

That's gonna have to do it for a summary.

1/11
    B: Eggs/bacon/grapes/apple/milk
    L: Skipped
    D: Baked catfish, collard greens
    S(nacks, throughout the day): 5 dates, two fistfuls of mixed nuts, some jerky

Exercise: Moved some boxes around, and Martial arts test (I passed and am now a Grey Belt, level 2/5). I'm trying not to exercise too hard before get into the next bit of off-ship training; I don't like being sore while trudging around the desert.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1/12
    B: Eggs/bacon/grapes/apple/milk
    L: Salad, some protein so unmemorable I can't recall it less than a day later
    D: Baked chicken, carrots.
    S: A few nuts, organic coconut flakes, jerky

Exercise: Walking around the ship and climbing ladders was enough for the day; the next few weeks in the desert are going to be harsh.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast