Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Sick to Fit page

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member

From Sick to Fit

Shop Now
    This is that awkward moment, a new person enters the room and she's been prompted to tell her story. Even the somewhat ugly parts.

I'm still fat. But not as fat as I was a year ago. That was when I started researching nutrition, diet and health. By then I'd developed an aversion to doctors and pharmaceuticals, because the more I did what I was told, the more sick I got. I was hypothyroid, had non alcoholic fatty liver, high blood pressure, anemic, rashes, sleep apnea, headaches and recurrent fungal infections. I was eating lots of "healthy whole grains" & fruit/fruit products, avoiding fats, and taking 4 different medications.

Finally, I listened to my gut feeling. I went on a radical diet that only included meat, fish, chicken, veggies and limited fruit. I lost 40 lbs. and have easily maintained the loss following Primal eating, and the Kruse's Leptin Reset. I've added butter, cream, coconut oil, (fats!), bacon, and occassional nuts, rice, sweet potato and slivers of very good cheese... not that cheese food crap. No dried fruit kibble has crossed my lips in over a year, I eat whole fresh food, nothing processed. I cut out wheat and other grains, fairly sure that contributed greatly to my former ill health even though a celiacs test came back negative.

So, that's where I was and where I am now, not as fat, not as sick. I don't get headaches, rashes, infections anymore. I feel pretty darn great most of the time now! I won't know how my lab work will compare to last year for another month, but I am confident it's going to be a huge difference. But I'm not done. I want to be optimum. So I'm showing up and sharing a little of my story and my plan for continuous improvement. I think it is time for me to not just focus on diet, but to also work at restoring strength in my body. I'm ready to do the work. Come walk with me, offer encouragement, or push me if I need it.

In this journal, I plan on posting recipes, workouts, milestones on the scale and/or tape measure and goals.
    Last edited by GoLisaGo; 01-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.

GOAL: get my waist measurement in a healthy range, which I'm told is less than half of ones height in inches. I'm 64" tall so my waist should be under 32", it's currently 33.75".
    GOAL: Do one pull up
    GOAL: Ride my bike to the end of the trail and back, 52 mile round trip. How lucky am I that they put a beautiful trail within walking distance of my house?!
    GOAL: Wear out my hiking shoes this summer
    GOAL: Fit into a size 8 comfortably

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Lisa! Good luck in reaching your goals!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Lisa. Congrats on your fantastic health improvements so far

If you want to push yourself into even more vibrant health I would suggest adding in some foods that provide nutrients that can be hard to get from a muscle meat diet. Try to get these once a week or so in your diet:

1. Homemade bone stocks. I prefer chicken for the taste but beef is great to.
    2. Liver. Many people hate it, but it is a nutritional powerhouse. No vitamin can recreate the imact of eating liver.
    3. Bone marrow. Contains lipids that are hard to get anywhere else.
    4. Kelp for iodine and other micronutrients.
    5. Brazil nuts for selenium (no more than a couple a week).
    6. Oysters every now and then for zinc.

Also, make sue to get your Vitamin D levels checked and then supplement with a good quality D3 until you are in the upper part of normal. Magnesium is important and it is really easy to develop deficiency since food levels are low. Jigsaw, Natural Calm, and topical magnesium brine are popular around here.

Good luck

Thank you both, for the welcome! I have been making bone stocks, bone soups, and a great array of crockpot simmers. Lately I started eating about 5 or 6 Brazil nuts weekly. I've been taking supplemental Vitamin D3, a magnesium/calcium/zinc, and a few others as well. I don't take the supplements daily, but a few times a week I remember to do it. I'm working up to eating liver and oysters, maybe my taste will develop for those foods with time?

About 6 months ago my spouse was hospitalized with pancreatitus. He was a sick guy, trapped in a hospital bed, and had no choice but to listen to me about the benefits of eating primal. He'd been resistant even though he saw the great improvements I was having. Finally, too sick to argue, he tried it. Now he's a regular caveman! (except I know he sneaks an occasional piece of pizza or cookie on Fridays when they do potluck at work)

Around here, we regularly eat "wet salad" which is a salad base, with whatever is in the crockpot ladled on top. Since we both work until late, I use the crockpot about 3 or 4 days a week. Yesterday it was the remains of the whole roasted chicken put into the crockpot with green chiles, onions, garlic, etc. over salad with avocado slices on the side. I had a couple scrambled eggs for breakfast, with some leftover taco flavored ground beef thrown in for flavor. Lunch was a hard boiled egg and an apple. I don't eat between meals anymore, and some days will skip lunch or breakfast. I'm trying to gauge my eating according to my hunger, but I know that the hunger signaling is messed up still because for years I ate 6 to 8 (or more) mini meals a day and was hungry all the time! And fatter!

To regain strength, I have started using some stretch bands for different movements with my arms. I'm also doing squats for my legs. I walk for 20 minutes on my lunch break whenever it's not raining, which here in the Pacific Northwest is not very often this time of year! I have a desk job, but I'm concentrating on standing more. Sitting for 7 or 8 hours is not good so I need to find ways to work around that.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Well done taking charge of your life and health. I love the way you describe the processed food as dried kibble...lol.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Morgan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoLisaGo View Post
    we regularly eat "wet salad" which is a salad base, with whatever is in the crockpot ladled on top. Since we both work until late, I use the crockpot about 3 or 4 days a week. Yesterday it was the remains of the whole roasted chicken put into the crockpot with green chiles, onions, garlic, etc. over salad with avocado slices on the side. I had a couple scrambled eggs for breakfast, with some leftover taco flavored ground beef thrown in for flavor. Lunch was a hard boiled egg and an apple.
    Hey GoLISAGo
    That sounds Awesome I'm going to try that! I wish you the best of luck with your quest for better health! I too want to Hike my bott off this year!

Thank Morgan!

OK, I'm backtracking here, but Monday I made some hot and sour soup in my crockpot and it was yum! I ate 2 bowls of it, the spousal unit poured his over finely shredded cabbage.

Into the crockpot I put (sorry, I don't measure when I cook, so nothing is exact. Rely on taste)
    about a 1.5 cups chicken broth, .5 cup vinegar, a dash of stevia or something sweet, a drop or two of sesame oil or hot chili oil, 4 spoonfuls of chili paste, garlic, pepper, sliced onion, celery, spinach leaves, and a lb of thin sliced chicken. Simmer for a couple hours. If you want to be real creative, whip up an egg with a dollop of cream and pour slowly into bubbling stock. Gently moving to form eggy ribbony goodness. If you stir too much and too fast it wrecks the effect (but still tastes great).

Today I had little appetite. So far today, I ate two hard boiled eggs, a piece of jerky and drank another cup of coffee with cream for lunch. Now I am craving a bacon cheeseburger, so I'm going to grill some bacon and ground beef patties and wrap them up in lettuce with a slice of onion and dill pickle. I might try a few sweet potato fries on the side.

I ate my "cheeseburger" dinner last night and later experienced a very familiar pain. I think I have gall bladder issues, but I'm not going the surgical route which is what my doctor would advise if and when I talk to her about this. Last month I picked up some digestive enzymes and bile acid factors, and I took one of each when I noticed the discomfort. I was able to fall asleep, so it must have worked it magic. I had to lay on my left side with a heating pad on my right side, and my kitty cat curled up right there thinking it was a cozy warm place just right for him. Maybe his purring sent out healing vibrations?

Today's plan: scrambled eggs with a bit of the leftover burger for breakfast, wet salad for dinner. I'm putting some beef chunks in the crockpot with loads of onions and beef broth. I can't decide on what flavor to go for, so it will be like a beefy onion soup. Tonight I will use the resistance bands and work my arms and shoulders. I don't know all the fancy names for the different types of exercises! I'm also going to sprint up the hill near my driveway 3 times. Baby steps.

I love eggs! How funny is it that this morning I made my breakfast, thinking I'd share my love of all things eggs, when lo and behold that was the subject of this morning's MDA broadcast. Is that a sign or what that I am on the right path? I'm listening to the Universe on that one, it just sent me a +1

My breakfast eggs this morning were a version of poached. Poaching eggs is tricky, it requires perfect timing and attention, cook too long and yolks are hard (still edible though!) and too short and you've got runny whites which to me are off putting for some reason. The slapdash recipe I followed this morning was to take some ground beef (but you can use any ground or shredded meat), quickly brown in a frying pan with coconut oil, adding spices. I used some menudo mix, garlic and pepper, then just as it was browning I added a a couple spoonfuls of salsa and a splash of water. Bring this to a simmer, you want it just a touch sloppy so there's enough liquid for poaching. Crack a couple of eggs on top, sprinkle a dash of chili powder, salt, pepper on top and cover. Now is the tricky part. How long do you cook them? It's going to vary of stove type, personal preferences, and the degree to which the poach broth is bubbling. Generally 2 minutes plus or minus. Sit. Eat. Ahhhhh. Give gratitude to the Universe for the experience of living.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast