Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From Sick to Fit page 3

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    Well thank you Primalcajun, I'll stop by your journal too!

I woke up to snow covered ground this morning so I will be taking some slow walks with the dogs. My golden retriever thinks it's fabulous and is acting like a puppy. My old yellow lab just doesn't get her excitement, because there is no ball or food involved and those are his excitement triggers. I have zero soreness from my workout yesterday. I was sure I would be sore because I worked and worked those muscles. I don't know it that is a good thing or not. I will have to do some more research on that.

I just read Chris Masterjohn's link to a new study he did with some others about the benefits of green tea in preventing non alcoholic fatty liver disease. I was diagnosed in 2006 with that, long before I changed the way I ate. Back then I ate little fat, little red meat, and a lot of grains and fruit. Also a lot of "fruit snacks" and fruit juice. Within the last year I added green tea to my regimen, typically have a large mug every afternoon. However, I think I will increase that now. I am so anxious to see my lab results next month when I get my annual physical. I'm not so eager to explain to my doctor that I didn't do anything she suggested, and ditched all the medications she prescribed. We shall see... I feel great, I lost 40 lbs, and I hope she is open to this new way of being, although it doesn't matter if she is not. I know what I am doing is right and a much better option than pharmaceuticals and whole grain BS.

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Lisa...awesome on your workout. I think I would probably see better results if I was doing some exercise. Plan to start doing more tomorrow. I have some resistance bands...will have to dig them out. I also have 2 dvds that are called Chair Dancing. They are by Judi Sokolove, I believe that's the correct spelling of her last name. Right now my mom has them to see if its something she can do, but I really like them. I have a problem with my right knee & can't bend it correctly. A doc told me (without xrays) that its a "joint mouse". Something that people with osteoarthritis get. I just wish I could set a trap for it & get rid of it as it limits my mobility. Hence the chair dancing dvds. Exercise sitting down! Hey its a start!

So have you lost the 40 pounds since going primal?? that is just freaking fantastic! Congratulations! I can't wait till I can say I've lost 40 pounds! woo hoo!! I want to lose at least 100. But I will leave it to my body to tell me what weight it feels the best at. As long its close to minus those 100 pounds!

Pop on over to "la grotte cajun" (the cajun cave in french) anytime & we'll sit around the fire & have a cup of green tea & listen to some cajun music. Its guaranteed to make your toes tap & make ya want to get up & dance!!! And moving is good yes?? lol

have a great evening!

Oh yes, moving is good and dancing is awesome! I love to dance, but rarely get a chance to anymore. The most dancing I get lately is when i babysit the grandBeau (19 months old) and turn on the music channel. He loves to dance with Gram!

I started losing just before I discovered primal, but once I committed to that, there's been no turning back. I've been following the leptin Rx by Dr. Kruse, he also posts on this board under the name Digital Surgeon. It's primal, but more strict at first, and it's meant to optimize hormone levels, treat things like leaky gut, and other issues that go hand in hand with obesity.

Good afternoon Lisa...I have heard the leptin rx mentioned but have not really researched it yet. Maybe I should try it as I'm not losing as I was the first week. I've stayed about the same for this last week...& that's eating nothing but primal. Maybe I'll wake up one morning & it will ALL be gone! HA! Not. I know better. All kinds of things start going thru your mind tho...am I eating enough? too much? am I getting to much fat? not enough? Have I "damaged" myself so badly that I won't ever be able to lose all this? lol you know the routine! I think I've been fat so long my body doesn't like change! Its resisiting! Will have to talk to my chiro Thursday when I go in. He's also a nutritionist & put me on to eating like our ancestors. Altho he says he really hasn't studied up on the Paleo Diet.

I have a Beau too! He's 26 & our only child. He's such a sweety. He won't dance with mom tho. *sigh* But that's ok...I dance around all by myself! And only when I'm alone!

have a wonderful day!

Sometimes I call him BeauLicious. I'm sure there will come a time when he doesn't want to dance with me or let me call him silly names, but for now it's great. I'm so enjoying being a grandmother!

We have had about 12" of snow fall in the last 30 hours. It's really, really pretty but I do not like to drive in it. Grampa Grok has been chauffeuring me to and from work. Tomorrow I may stay home and play in the snow. They are predicting another blast, but I don't know if it will fall in my area, not that we need anymore! By Thursday evening it will be gone as rain moves in the wash it away. Tonight I may bundle up and go take a good walkabout. I like walking in the snow, it offers more exertion than regular walking. Of course, if I had my druthers, I'd be walking in sand, on a nice warm beach somewhere. Since that's not an option right now, snow it is!

Today's food choices were not great, but not horrible, however I am officially calling this my off day. I drank coffee with cream, a handful of mixed nuts, and a bad of Tim's Cascade Potato chips. I set the grokpot this morning with kale, carrot, onion, garlic, leftover chicken bits, chicken broth and some smoked ham chunks, which gave it a wonderful smokey flavor. It's going to be awesome.

Today Mark answered a reader's question about eczema and gluten. The reader's young son has a bad case of something on his legs, and they itch terribly. If I could say something to that reader it would be to eliminate, at a minimum, grains from his child's diet. Save money on lotions, medicines, Dr. visits... and help your kid feel better. Since I eliminated grains I do not break out with skin issues. In December, I chose to suffer the consequences for some carrot cake at a company party. My legs and fingers broke out within 48 hours, not to mention the gut disturbance. It wasn't worth it. I hope I can remember that the next time I am tempted to go off course!
    Last edited by GoLisaGo; 01-17-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Well, the snow is still coming down, 14 inches and counting. I am taking a snow day.

Today I am grateful for a nice warm cozy cave home to live in. I'm grateful to the cow that gave up it's meat so I could have a steak strip, onion and pepper omelet for breakfast, and I'm grateful for coffee growers who labored to bring me the beans for my morning java. My only plans for this day is to clean house and play in the snow, ideally with grandkids because they remember how to have fun.

Lisa...I was interested to hear about your skin issues! One day recently I noticed that I wasn't scratching! It would itch terribly around my waist & my belly area & sometimes on my boobs & couldn't figure out why. This has gone on for years & years! Sometimes worse than others. It dawned on me that since going gluten/grain free no more itching! Amazing!

My Beau's girlfriend as bad autoimmune issues & eczema bad. Next time they come out I'm going to mention to her if she'd ever thought about the role of her diet in her issues. She is not overweight, but her eczema is so bad she only wears jeans 'cause she's embarrassed. Sometimes its bad on her arms too. Hopefully she'll consider it. She's on one of those high flatuting medications...its $8200 a month!! She gets it for free tho...but still...that's just ridiculous!! She also has migraines & feels bad ALL the time. Yup...definitely gonna talk to her about going primal!!

I so envy you the snow! My friend that lives in Yakima said they were supposed to get freezing rain today...haven't heard from her this evening. She planned on staying in where it was nice & toasty! lol

Hope you got to play...remember that's part of our PB!!!!
    have a wonderful evening!

I've been 98% gluten/grain free for the last year, and it's amazing the difference in my skin, and my digestion. So at the company christmas dinner, I decided to splurge on a piece of carrot cake. Within days I was getting the little blistery itchy rash again. So, I just have to live without it, which I've accepted now. I went through a little grief because I used to love sourdough toast... before I went full on with the diet changes. But feeling good is better than the taste of sourdough/

Now, I need to learn to ignore the bowl of nuts at work. Last month it was chocolate everywhere, now it's nuts and I only grab a few when I walk by, but I walk by 6 times a day!

I had fun in the snow! Went sledding with the grands, and took a few walkabouts with the dogs. But I also got cabin fever and was tired of being snowed in. I would not do well living where it snows all winter! I am craving sunlight. I took 2 snow days off work, and did workouts at home both those days with my stretch bands and also anything heavy I found to lift. Plus, I shoveled snow. So I got my workouts in this week, and have a little soreness in my arms this week.

I really don't know if I am doing the right kind of movements to build some muscle, and I'm hesitant to ask in the open forum because there's a lot of people who are so beyond me fitness wise... and some serious body builders too. Right now I am not using too much weight, mostly my own body weight. I do slow resistance movements, rather than fast, and aim to get the muscles to the point where they feel taxed. I've started to do that kind of workout every other day, and in between days I walk or try and find some kind of physical play.

This morning I was wondering about genetic expression, sunlight, vitamin D and whether I should somewhat emulate the type of diet my Nordic ancestors had. How did people who lived in climates with long nights, short days, and little sunlight get the necessary vitamin D? I picked up some cod liver oil capsules which claim to be high in Vit D. Last year at my yearly physical my D levels were too low and I was given prescription D for 2 months, I am hoping that I've managed to get & keep the levels up.

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Lisa! I love your name!

I discovered your journal through ThePrimalCajun, and have enjoyed reading of your progress. I'm about 500 miles east of you in the mountains, and we have been snowshoeing in the newly fallen bounty. Although it is warming up a bit and getting mushy. It appears you didn't lose your power like so many in your area did.

Love your breakfast! I do something similar with kale and eggs, but will have to try the meat version (or better yet, mix them).

About fitness: did you download Mark's Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book? It describes a great workout with links to videos on how to do the moves. I am pull-up challenged and do the 2 leg chair assisted variety, making it as hard as I can while still being able to go through the complete motion.

I look forward to following your progress.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast