Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: From Sick to Fit page 2

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    The Cave: I live in a very small home, less than 500sq ft. Downsized in a big way. It's very nice and cozy and liberating in a way. I had to get rid of a lot of "stuff" to live this way, and train myself to avoid the enticements to collecting "too much stuff". A simpler way of living. My husband and I built this cave with our own two hands, or rather I should say, we "are building" as like many projects... it's a work in progress. Sorta like me on my journey to optimum health!

Cave Fever Workout: Center and tie a stretch band on vertical beam that sits in the middle of small kitchen island. Facing outward, wrap ends around palms and walk out until bands get taut. Do a bunch of reps of different moves, then turn around and do some facing the beam so the backside gets a workout too. Do that a bunch of times until the arms feel like they're gonna give out. The do a bunch of squats. Don't forget the one legged squats, they tighten up the butt cheeks. Tie one end of the stretch band around the beam and the other around the bottom of your foot. Walk out until taut, then pull leg this way and that. There's probably a bunch of fancy names for the different muscle groups and moves, but I don't know them. I'm just going on instinct that if I do a bunch of movement that has resistance attached, it will improve muscle strength. It's a start.

Last night's Cave Fever Workout has not caused me any soreness today. Not sure what to make of that. I've always thought that a little soreness later is a good thing, it means your muscles were worked, torn and repairing? I might have to intensify the workout. This morning I am going to chase my 2 year old grandson around while I get the laundry done... burn energy and have fun. Starting this day with a mushroom omelet.

I just read Paul Jaminet's Theory of Obesity Part 1, which also referenced a NYTimes article "The Fat Trap" which seems to show that maintaining weight loss is an uphill battle. Or not just an uphill battle, but an uphill battle with one arm tied behind. *sigh* that's depressing, but I have no choice, I must do battle because I am not going to regain. Over the last year I have found that I can't always trust and listen to my "hunger" signals, sometimes what I need is not delivered in the food. I've also found that the big ass breakfast, protein and fat packed, really does shut my appetite down for most of the day.

Another day, another battle.

ach! so busy at work these days, feel like I don't have much of a life. Work, sleep, work... Not complaining, since I'd been unemployed for 8 months last year.

On another note, I will be weighing and measuring this Friday, to track any progress. I have not been working out as much as I'd like because of the long work hours, which should taper off in a few weeks. Year end/year beginning is always a busy work time for me. I may buy some bands to keep in my office. Every little bit helps, huh?

Took the grandboy to the park last Sunday and tried to do a pull up. Pathethic, truly pathetic. I couldn't budge a smidgeon and I'm not sure how to make that better. The positive note here is that it can only get better.

Here's to better!

This has been a good week, although I did not get enough exercise in. These long work hours stink! My weight has not changed at all this week, but that's OK. Maintaining is good too... for now. It took a lot of courage for me to send a picture in to the success stories in the making challenge, but I did it. Laid it all out there for the world to see. Not hiding anymore.

My basic menu's this week were: eggs of some sort for breakfast, except for one morning I had a salmon patty fried in bacon with an egg over easy served on top. Now that was some good stuff! Two mornings this week, I skipped breakfast and didn't eat until lunchtime, but I did notice on those days I was still hungry after dinner. About half the time, I have some fruit with lunch. I'm just not ready to totally give up fruit. Dinner's are nearly always some kind of protein, and salad. Or some kind of protein, and stir fry veggies. The "worst" things I ate this week was some cheese one day (with my apple, for lunch), a bar of 86% dark chocolate, and a spoonful of peanut butter one night after dinner. The normal for me is two to three meals a day, no snacking, no grains, no legumes, limited full fat dairy.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Your recipes sound wonderful! I'm going to try the poached egg and beef thing right now. I'll report back. . .

Congrats on all your positive changes.

Thanks! Yes, let me know how that works out!

Tonight we had another "wet salad". Basic chopped salad with yummy goodness on top. Today's grokpot concoction was:

browned bacon bits
    cubed chicken
    chopped onion, garlic
    tiny bit diced carrot, apple for sweetness
    spoonful of chili powder, fresh pico de gallo, bbq sauce
    & a splash of liquid to simmer (anything, water, juice, wine, broth)
    Simmer on low all day, stir and serve. Easy peasy and man was that some good stuff.

I won't be working out tonight, I'm exhausted since I got up at 4 am and worked until 6 pm. TGIF!

Today I had another great Cave Fever workout. I used the straps and the vertical beam and pushed hard working out the upper body. Then I did a bunch of slow squats, and also stepping up onto a bar height chair and back down until my thighs and butt cheeks felt like they were on fire. Then some serious ab work, or as serious as I've been able to do in a long while. The bad thing is that I found some dark chocolate covered macadamia's and ate a rather large handful. There are worse things to eat I'm sure!

Tonight we are having Philly steak lettuce boats with onion, green pepper and portabella mushroom slices sauteed in coconut oil. I've been extra hungry today. Probably from the workout?

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Lisa...just got thru reading your journal! Really enjoyed it! I am with you on going from sick to fit! I am sick & tired of feeling sick & tired! I just started my journal yesterday...& my primal journey began in earnest on Jan. 3...when I went "cold turkey" & went gluten free/grain free/sugar free. Just in this short a period of time I feel better & am wearing some blouses I haven't been able to wear in 5 years!

I too am a firm believer in the universe & am always asking for help & guidance. I think I was truly guided to Mark's site to learn about this way of eating. You know what they say! Be careful what you wish for! lol I was asking for answers & help & here I am!!

I will add your journal to my list of ones to keep up with often...we are all on this journey together & I really appreciate the support of these folks! I still have soooooo much to read!!

I am also going to share some recipes I find & make as we go along! I don't think we can ever have enough variety!!

btw...you live in my favorite part of this country! My grandfather lived in Yakima...& I loved it when we would go visit him!

have a great evening!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast