Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 or 2 meals a day, do you feel stuffed? page

hxl2012 is offline Member

1 or 2 meals a day, do you feel stuffed?

Primal Fuel
    I get confused, Mark said that just stop eating when you are full and satisfied.
    If one do IF (16/8),just eat 1-2 meals a day, do you feel stuffed? (will it make me fat? too much stress for my stomach?)

I just finish my 16 hour fasting (from 15:00-8:00am this morning). Then I ate a big breakfast this morning: around 1000kcal, 21gcarbs, 75g fat, 70g protein. I am feeling bad now though I am not hungry (15:30 now) Did I eat too much? --- 30g lard, 200g broccoli, 4 medium eggs, 130g beef.

The reason why I asked this question is because i heard that eating 2 meals a day is healthier than eating 3 meals a day. But if eating a bigger meal makes me stuffed and uncomfortable, I won't do that again.
    Last edited by hxl2012; 01-07-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    Nothing you can't do once you believe that you can.

SW:120lb
    CW:116lb
    GW:110lb

PrimalJosh is offline Member
    I eat two meals a day (intermittent fasting) and you will feel hungry at times, that's ok. If you need energy, your body has plenty of it stored if you're like me and currently a fatty-boom-bah.

Just make sure you're eating for hunger and not boredom, emotional, stress etc reasons or because of habit or worried it's not enough.
    For example today for lunch (first meal) I had two grass-fed beef patties (about 600cal) plus the cooking fat (100 cals) and some spinach, plus two slices of cheese (another 100 or so calories).
    That's half a day's calories roughly and I'll have a good dinner later and still wake up lighter on the scale tomorrow.

raney is offline Senior Member
    I don't really get "stuffed" on paleo foods, especially when fasting. Sometimes I'll eat up to 1.5 lbs of meat with a few cups of veges slathered in fat after a long fast, and there is certainly a point where my rate of eating slows down, and then stops due to satiety; but I haven't managed to eat to the point of stomach distention this way. I've been playing with the idea of nutrient content vs. satiation lately as well; a prime example is that 4 - 6oz of liver and a cup of brussel sprouts leaves me as satiated as the aforementioned large meal of muscle meat does.

J. Stanton wrote an interesting series of articles regarding hunger, satiety and satiation.

Motorhead is offline Member
    I find that skipping dinner is easier than breakfast, but everyone is different. There is some hunger, but it passes. When eating, I don't stuff myself, and no, you don't gain fat, the point is to burn the fat.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    This is a good topic! I often eat two meals per day, and since I don't eat grains, I tend to undereat in calories unless I count calories to make sure that I'm getting enough for the day - since I eat a ton of veggies, which take up a lot of stomache space, at times I feel overstuffed when I eat. I'm not really sure if this is healthy, because it's ignoring the sage advice to 'stop eating when you feel full', but if I followed that advice, I'd be chronically undereating calories. So, in short, I don't have an answer for you (sorry!), but I do know that eating this way allows me to not be hungry for most of the day. When I ate 3 meals AND snacked, I was ALWAYS hungry, ALWAYS obsessed with food. Now, I eat twice and don't think about food for the rest of the day, which feels great! Maybe that's worth an hour or 2 of 'stomach stress' because it's balanced by 16 or more hours of non-stress.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I ate breakfast yesterday and then nothing else until breakfast this morning. As I made my breakfast this morning, I got hungrier and hungrier and kept wanting to add more things. I ended up with the same breakfast as yesterday (eggs, chicken liver, greens and 1 mushroom, cooked in duck fat, plus half an avocado, plus coffee with cream), but with 3 eggs instead of two. I'm stuffed now, that's for sure. There's only so much my stomach can hold. In the end, one egg more and one dinner less is a deficit even though I ate like a king this morning. But I felt so great after I ate all that. I was like bouncing off the walls with happiness. I don't think I'll need to eat again until dinner. Beef stew is in the crock-pot...

By the way, I gained an inch on my waist last week while on vacation. I'm pretty sure that inch was gone when I woke up this morning.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 01-05-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot the avocado
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    Here's the way I started to think of this, and it's been really helpful for me:

I don't particularly like plain tuna. It's not something that I'll generally eat out of boredom, or if there are other options available. I'll always default to something else.

So, I do the tuna test. If I'm hungry enough to eat a can a tuna, then I'm hungry enough to eat. If I'm not, then there's probably something else going on, and I leave the food alone. It's been really successful for me so far.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Nope, I normally feel hungry. I never really feel stuffed when I don't have starches/sweets.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJosh View Post
    That's half a day's calories roughly and I'll have a good dinner later and still wake up lighter on the scale tomorrow.
    I'm SOOOO Jealous. I've been fasting 16/8 for 3 months with no success.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Nope, I normally feel hungry. I never really feel stuffed when I don't have starches/sweets.
    I agree to a point. The one day I feel the most full is my carb-up/low fat days. I have a hard time getting the calories in. I have however felt very full by just eating tons of beef but it always takes more calories by far...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast