Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reversing Health Problems -- Take THAT PCOS! page

Lindsay Grok is offline Member

Exclamation Reversing Health Problems -- Take THAT PCOS!

Primal Fuel
    When I was in high school I was addicted to crystal methamphetamine. I got thin, freakishly thin, while people drowned me with compliments:
    "Wow, you look SO good!"
    "You must be watching what you eat. Good for you!"

The excuses piled up and my addiction flew under the radar. I lost 50 lbs doing drugs. After I managed to graduate high school I went home, got sober, and went to college. Then I got fat.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I turned 19 and stopped having periods. The doctor threw some birth control pills at me, told me to watch my weight, and I went on my merry way, ignoring everything but the birth control pills. By the time I turned 24 I had gained 65 lbs since my diagnosis, putting me at 245 lbs. At 5'10, I've always been able to carry more weight than others and having naturally occurring muscle tone has equated to always being heavier on the scale than I look.

Now, an inclination to being heavy had transformed into full-fledged obesity. I'm an apple.

I entered my early 20's with a blood pressure average of 87/145, high cholesterol, and rampant hypoglycemia. By the time I hit 24, it was obvious I was on the verge of tipping into Type 2 diabetes. I tried a low-glycemic diet but I couldn't lose any weight. I tried rapid cycling diets and GAINED weight. Then I found primal. I lost 25 lbs in four weeks. The first 25 lbs I had been able to lose in over 4 years. My blood pressure dropped so much I was able to go off my prescriptions, my hypoglycemia VANISHED almost overnight, and my cholesterol fell within a normal range. Mind you, I'm still fat. But I'm healthier than I've ever been in my entire life. Even as I've backslid into old eating habits and fought my way back to primal, I have maintained these positive health changes. I turned 25 in 2011 and I quit my stressful job, got married, and my partner and I spent four months traveling across the country in our travel trailer. I kicked the stress, sought out the best parts of life, and have overcome my depression and anxiety issues.

Mark's Daily Apple continues to inspire and encourage me... but the best encouragement was walking into the doctor's office and seeing those numbers -- and the doctor's face.

I'm happy, I'm alive, I'm primal.
    Lindsay Groks On

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
    -- Mark Twain

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Awesome job on turning your life around! Inspiring stuff, Linds! I would love to travel across the country. What did you guys do for work, while on the road?

Thanks Rasputina! We did freelance writing while on the road, lived very frugally, and took our sweet time exploring places. It IS possible! Well.... and wedding money helped too ;-) Even so, it was an amazing opportunity to completely decompress all the pent up stress and anxieties of the previous year.
    Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I love the blog. Cabin in the woods, eh? Is it cool if I bring my spouse to come live with you and your spouse? We could start some sort of Primal writer/artist/musician commune

Thanks! I just uploaded my before and after pictures if you're interested ^.^ Yeah, our place is amazing. If you're ever in the Montana area I'd love to meet other primal buddies!
    Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

Thanks Ayla!
    Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Luvanurse443 is offline Junior Member
    Fabulous and encouraging story...coming from a fellow PCOS'er. Keep on Keeping on!

Hey Julie! Great to see another Cyster on the forums! I'll be checking out your blog -- I've been really interested to know what other ladies with PCOS are experiencing with primal living. Yay us!
    Lindsay Groks On

-- Mark Twain

Luvanurse443 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank You..I have had my ups and downs..and have dusted myself off many times, but now there are no excuses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast