Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison burger? page

TradSimplicity is offline Junior Member

Venison burger?

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

I'm planning my first grocery trip for tomorrow or Friday. I'm wondering from what I've read thus far, will I be able to plan adequate meals around the 100+ pounds of ground venison and store bought chicken and eggs? My husband is a hunter and I really don't want to buy beef when our freezer is full of venison. Will the venison be okay as our primary source of protein? It basically has 0 fat. I typically eat 2 or 3 eggs for breakfast and need to incorporate more protein sources into my lunches. I'm thinking tuna, sardines - simple foods. Venison burger and chicken for supper though - okay?

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Venison is great. Just cook it in butter or lard to add fat. I have mine ground with beef fat added to make it 80% lean.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Ground venison mixed with some ground bacon is delicious as burgers. Otherwise, just add fat to your meals as needed and venison is perfect.

otzi Guest
    Most people would kill to get 100lbs of venison! Way better than the best grass-fed beef!

schmotza is offline Junior Member
    I usually cut my ground venison with ground pork. i've made chili, stuffed acorn squash, tacos and more with the stuff. it has all turned out delicious! Good Luck

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    MMMMMM you need to add some ground beef or fat to actualy get them to grill as burgers.... BUT my vote is go chili crazy

And yes... I would kill for 100lbs of that stuff

JimN is offline Member
    It has been said above, but adding lard, bacon/bacon fat, or ground beef/pork will all help make it last longer and easier to cook. Get online and look up recipes for Hamburger soup, chilli, tacos, taco salad, hamburger steaks, pizza with hamburger crust, spaghetti sauce (on spaghetti squash), meatloaf, etc. (Sorry, I would pass on some recipies but my wife is the chief cook and I am the chief bottle washer).

We also use canned chicken & tuna to supplement the venison, beef and chicken in our freezer. It is a quick protein change and gives a little variety. Another thing we do with our venison is cook the roasts in a crock pot (due to lack of fat venison is dry) with onions, mushrooms, carrots, etc. It is good for the first meal, but because it is a little dry, we use the leftovers for french dip sandwiches (well PtP - Prior to Primal). Now we will chunk it up and put it on a salad as part of a chef salad. And if you have a bar-b-Que, I had backstrap once where the lady cooking it split the backstrap about half way through, added pork lard, wrapped with bacon and bar-b-qued it - it was awesome.

Good luck and good hunting.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Most people would kill to get 100lbs of venison! Way better than the best grass-fed beef!
    Some of us do

Hunting for your own meat rocks!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Outside of the occasional beef steak (I am a sucker for a ribeye), ALL of our red meat is venison. I do buy pork or chicken a couple times a month, but most of our meals are venison.

This year we made most of our venison into ground. I have SO many recipes it works for, its easy. Taco salads/lettuce tacos, spaghetti, meatballs, stuffed peppers, meatloaf, lettuce burgers, goulash, and so on.

I made italian sausage as well, cutting it with a bit of pork butt. That will reduce my pork buying by a ton.

You may find 100lbs is not enough

TradSimplicity is offline Junior Member
    JimN - I'm going to tell my husband about making backstrap that way - sounds delicious!

I guess my questions was can I cook with venision. I know I can cook with venison. It has been our main meat source since we got married 6 years ago. I guess I was just wondering if it would be sufficient for primal, like am I missing something by NOT eating much beef. Based on these replies, I'd say we are good to go. I just need to get some new recipes to eliminate some not so good recipes, switch to using butter vs. EVOO for cooking.

Meadow - I know 100 pounds won't be enough with our 5 year old daughter's appetite and upcoming 8 month old boy. Plus, eating primal and planning the upcoming meals....no more "stretching" a pound of venison with carbs. However, I think I can with vegetables to make our meals more filling. This will definitely get interesting, but I'm sure we can do it. Thanks for all the recipe ideas and obviously many of you are using venison as your main primal meat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast