Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaining mass and muscle page

Gaining mass and muscle

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been Paleo/Primal for over a year now and it has improved my overall health tremendously but I need some help in gaining muscle. Following the PB has gotten me in pretty good shape but with multiple knee surgeries I have fallen short on the exercise aspect. As of today, I'm 17 male 5'7 and 138lbs. IMAG0154.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Here is a picture of me today and couple pictures of how bad my knee was. My knee is pretty much 90-100%.

I need help with making a fitness routine to build muscle. My cousin and brother both do crossfit but they both are older and work and therefore can pay for it. I'm stuck working out under my deck, I have a pullup bar, full weight rack, kettlebells and gym rings. I was thinking along the lines of something like this.

Sunday- Sprints
    Monday- Lift heavy things
    Tuesday- Rest/Walking on treadmill
    Wednesday- Crossfit Bodyweight WOD
    Thursday- Rest/Walking on treadmill
    Friday- Lift heavy things
    Saturday- Hiking with the bro

I have been doing deadlifts and sqauts but not quite sure what else to do on lifting days. Also, I'm very confused about the eating part of gaining muscle. I've read Mark's post and understand you must eat a lot, but on these forums there is so many different things people try (carb load, IF, leptin reset, high carb/low carb) I do eat a couple of sweet potatoes and starches throughout the week but when is the best time to? Post workout and if so could it be mixed with fats? Thanks!

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    What did you do to your knee? That's a pretty spectacular scar.

Don't take offense to this. If you don't know how to design your own routine, I doubt you know how to squat with perfect form. For the average person, that's not a good thing (but not a disaster). For someone with multiple knee surgeries, that's could be a huge disaster. I strongly recommend you pay someone to show you how to do it right. A real professional.

To eat to gain muscle, you just eat a lot. It seems like eating a high carb meal immediately after workout has a positive effect. That's when you want to put those sweet potatoes in your body. Fat's going to slow things down at that point. You want some easy protein and carbs. Like grilled chicken and those sweet potatoes.

Your routine looks good. I especially like that your crossfit wod will be all bodyweight. I think those people are insane to mix oly lifts and squats with the degree of form breakdown you see. Be careful not too deadlift too often, or you will overtrain. Personally, I choose to only "lift heavy things" twice a week also, because more than that and my body starts to feel like it's falling apart. I like the sprints, and I like that you have a hiking day.

It looks good. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply!

I got Lyme's disease a couple of years ago and ate away at my joint resulting in losing all my cartilage. I've had three surgeries to put a metal plate in to keep my joint straight and had donor meniscus and cartilage put in recently. And surprisingly my squat form is pretty good. Having had three surgeries I spent so much time at therapy and my therapist has taught me correct form. I start to lose so of my form if I add to much weight.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Why reinvent the wheel? Just do starting strength.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Plain and simple, you gotta eat, eat, eat, eat, eat then eat some more and train/sleep to grow. The training has to be heavy compounds (nothing new here). The key to growth is legs. Deads/Squats. I would go on a 12 to 16 week bulk eating 3500+ calories a day. On lifting days go higher carb/low fat, non lifting low carb/ high fat and get about 225-250 grams of protein per day.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Starting Strength for mass and muscle or you could go convict conditioning for strength.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if Starting Strength is the best idea for a guy with a history of three knee surgeries, a metal plate, and donor cartilage. I"m thrilled to hear about your solid squat form, though. That'll probably go a good ways towards rectifying any residual problems you have with your knee.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I assumed he was cleared for squats from the fact that his PT taught them to him.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    That is what I thought as well but he might want to check with his PT if weighted squats are OK or should he go through a bodyweight progression.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Yes I'm able to squat with weight. I did stronglifts for 12 weeks and was able to squat 180, deadlift 220 but that was only like one set. That got really boring to me an couldn't keep doing the same exercise 3 times a week.

When you guys say eat a lot, how can I achieve that many calories if I don't do dairy. I'm still a teen and get acne if I consume dairy. I'm not sure if i can physcially force down that much meat a day lol. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast