Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal CrossFitter's 2012 Journal page 3

MBur is offline Member
    Photos From Hardn'Up 2012

hard1.jpghard2.jpghard3.jpg

What an awesome weekend of competition. From a nutrition perspective I tried not too vary too much from normal, did the first workout fasted then tried to eat immediately after WOD1,2 &3. Food was Chicken, Bananas, Macadamias, Coconut, Almonds, Berries, Protein shakes. Post Comp I had a chicken caesar salad and a vodka soda lime and a celebratory ice cream.

WOD's were

WOD1 Prowler Push
    8min AMRAP 15m lengths. Weights on sled increase every 2 mins
    0-2mins 40kg (unloaded)
    2-4mins 60kg
    4-6mins 70kg
    6-8mins 80kg

WOD 2 Chipper
    180m 20kg sandbag lunge
    200 kettlebell swings

150 pushups
    150 burpees

330m Team Carry

WOD3
    2min max reps Db Hang Squat Cleans 15kg
    330m lap relay race.

Felt absolutely wrecked afterwards, bruised abs from suicide burpees, sore ass from prowler push, squats and running and sore shoulders from pressups and burpees. Most fun competition to date though, easily.

MBur is offline Member
    13/02/2012

B -

L - 125g blueberries, 1 peach

S-

D 3 Organic Chicken Breasts (600g ish), 1 head of broccoli, 2 green pepper, 2 lebanese cucumber, 150g Macadamias, 60g 85% Organic Dark Chocolate. Piece of Custard Danish (NAUGHTY)

Sleep 7 hours

Post Comp rest day today, WOD at the gym was 4x 500m row and I just wasn't down for that. Have signed myself up for the 115 day burpee challenge which is do 1 burpee day 1, 2 burpees day 2 etc up to 115. It averages out at 60 burpees a day. In 4 months time I know I will have mastered burpees and they won't take me to that dark place mid WOD that they usually do.

Not getting enough sleep since I got back to AUS, too much playstation but I am enjoying it and the chance to hang out with Bronson and Shane more. Might have to put the sleep goal on the back burner for now and get awesome at it in April when I move.

Have the WOD "Kelly" tomorrow, which I think is one of my favourites although I've only done it once, excited to give it a go tomorrrow.

MBur is offline Member
    14/02/2012

B -

L - 1 apricot, 1 plum, 1 apple

S-

D Kangaroo steak (200g ish), 1 green pepper, 1 large carrot 200g Macadamias, 40g Whey Protein shake in 500ml coconut water YUM.

Burpees 4

Sleep 7 and 1/2 hours

Once again too much playstation has meant i've been too tired for CrossFit, not to worry though the extra day of rest is well deserved after the weekend. Ate quite a few macadamias so by the time I finished COD i didn't feel like much for dinner, cooked 1 steak instead of 3 and had half veggies. Managed to not get to bed early but still made good-ish sleeping time. Going to aim for bed a little earlier and get up when i wake up instead of trying to sleep in and then play some COD in the mornings too. have Deadlifts tomorrow which means I get to use my new lifters which will be cool.

MBur is offline Member
    15/02/2012

B -

L - 1 nectarine, 1 plum, 1 peach

S-

WOD
    Deadlift 5x5 (105kg)

DB Complex finisher
    3 x 2 mins for max rounds
    DB Pushup x 3
    L Renegade Row x 3
    R Renegade Row x 3
    DB Deadlift x 3
    DB Hang Power Clean x 3
    Front Squat x 3
    Push Press x 3

Result 4 rounds in 4 min (15kg)

D Kangaroo steak (200g ish), 1 green pepper, 1 large carrot, 1 lebanese cucumber, 1 head of broccoli, 40g Whey Protein shake, a mouthful of lamb and 1 square of kit kat chunky.

Burpees 5

Sleep 7 and 1/2 hours

Was a good day to get back to the gym, lifters went well, got a pb for 5reps deadlift of 105kg and got a 6th rep on the last set before my grip blew out. Did my burpess post WOD while I was in the mood, think that will be the plan for the next few weeks. Also ordered a Royal Burpee challenge tshirt from the states which will be sweet. Still not getting adequate sleep although i'm getting up with the sun which leaves me more awake in the morning which is good. Db complex was hard on the shoulders and the grip, definately one i'll do again when i'm by myself. Team WOD tomorrow, should be fun. Need to buy some more adidas shorts for XFit, having the right equipment for WODs is key.

MBur is offline Member
    20/02/2012

B -

L - 1 nectarine, 1 peach, 2 apricots

S-

WOD
    Squat Clean Thruster
    3-3-3-3-3-3-3 (45-50kg)

"Touch & Go" - Hands cannot leave the bar for the set to count

7min AMRAP Partner burpee ladder
    Result 9 rounds + 9 burpees

Post WOD 5g BCAA's + Water

D 2 Pan Fried Fish Fillets (450g ish), 1 green pepper, 1 large carrot, 1 head of broccoli, 40g Whey Protein shake, Few handfuls of Almonds

Burpees 10+

Sleep 8 hours

Burpees are going good, Made Pan fried fish for the first time and cooked it in Duck Fat, amazing! Felt good getting back to the gym after a few days rest. Got my blood results the other day, pretty happy with everything especially my lipid profile. Have the first Tough Mudder WOD this Sunday that me and James came up with, 5-6 times 1km run with 20 burpee buy in and 1 pool crossing after each km run. Will be good to test out our running gear/skins with a wet run and see if we run into any issues.

MBur is offline Member
    21/02/2012

B -

L - 1 nectarine, 1 peach, 2 apricots

S-

WOD
    Open WOD 2011 #2

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 15 minutes of:
    9 Deadlifts, 70kg
    12 Pushups with hand release
    15 Box Jumps, 24

Post WOD 40g Whey Protein and Banana

Pick up game of Touch

Post touch- 5g BCAA and water

D 2 Kangaroo steaks (500g ish), 2 red peppers, 1 large carrot, 1 lebanese cucumber, Few handfuls of Almonds, 20g of 85% Organic Dark Chocolate

Burpees 11

Sleep 8 hours

WOD was good, pretty tired after the touch game. Have been listening to a lot of health interviews and lectures the last few days (taubes wolf sisson oz ornish etc) and it's made me reevaluate my diet/exercise situation. I'm going to replace the fruit with nuts for my lunch and going to try and increase my rest and have no carbs except for post workout. Have been thinking about Sisson's talk on play and being in the moment and not worrying about outcomes of things you consider play. Crosfit doesn't often feel like play, neither does COD. Neither does the Burpee challenge. Maybe Crossfit should be 3 times a week, add a few sports, play COD without worries, rest more, definately add a sprint session weekly. These are all things that i'll be thinking about over the next few weeks moving onto my shift back to NZ

MBur is offline Member
    22/02/2012

B -

L - 120 grams mixed nuts (cashew, maca, roasted almond, brazil)

S-

WOD
    3 rounds for time:-
    800m run
    15 Hang Power Snatch 30kg

Result 15:47

Post WOD 5g BCAA and water

D 3 chicken thighs (300g ish), 2 red peppers,1 head of brocolli, 4-5 handfuls of Almonds, 40g of 85% Organic Dark Chocolate
    40g Whey Protein

20g Whey Protein before bed

Burpees 12

Sleep 7.5 hours

So I switched to nuts from fruit for my small lunch and that seemed to work well, no sleepiness/insulin spike and kept me satiated. WOD was good, I ran as hard as I could in all 3 rounds and beat the guy that normally beats me in all the runs so I was super happy with that. Hang power snatch turned into muscle snatch halfway through and I blew out my forearms but good result overall. Did the burpees afterwards which sucked hard but tuns out Open WOD 1 of the CrossFit games is 7 mins max burpees so I feel i've had some practice. Am going to download the 4 hour body tonight and start reading it, Timothy Ferris sounds like such an amazing dude.

MBur is offline Member
    23/02/2012

B -

L - 1/2 whole chicken

S-

WOD
    Crossfit Open 12.1
    7 mins AMRAP of

Burpees

Result 71

Post WOD 5g BCAA and water

D 3 chicken thighs (300g ish), 1 head of brocolli

Burpees 71

Sleep 7 hours

First time I had done more than 30 burpees in a row. Sucked big time, want to redo the workout but am going to save myself for the normal WODs for the week instead. Did alot of gaming tonight (Friday) which has killed my sleep but I'm ready to commit to 9 hours this week. Implementing a new diet protocol starting Monday which will be my next post

MBur is offline Member
    NEW DIET PROTOCOL (4 HOUR BODY/TIM FERRIS)

So this is what my life is going to look like for the next 2-3 weeks

B-
    Record weight- Log to Beyond the whiteboard
    500ml Ice Lemon Water upon waking with AGG
    5min Cold shower
    Get Ready
    20-30min post Ice Lemon water have breakfast (4 eggs with lemon and cinnamon)
    EAT SLOWLY
    morning 1x supplements (Fish Oil Mg Complex B Multi) +Pro biotic

L- most likely half chicken (organic free range) AGG supplements prior to lunch

D-
    Take AGG prior to eating
    Free Range Chicken Thigh/Chicken Breast/Fish/Kangaroo with spice and cinnamon + Broccoli with lots of water with lemon
    Eat all meals in 1/3’s with 5 min gap between (meal should last around 30mins)
    Ice Pack on the back of neck 30mins every evening
    Take PAGG before bed
    Get 9 hours of sleep BED IS 9PM

PAGG is the following

Policosanol 10-25mg
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) 300mg
    Green tea Extract (EGCG) 500mg
    Garlic Extract (AGE) with high allicin 1000mg

This is basically what Tim Ferris recommends in his book 4 hour body. Most of it fits within the primal paradigm, his ideas of slow carb diet is basically primal without fruit and he doesn't allow nuts either as they are a "domino" food (can't stop once you start) which is so true.

So i'm dropping fruit and nuts, adding breakfast, only eating fish/free range chicken/kangaroo with brocolli as my only vegetable.
    This will be pretty sustainable for 3 weeks with the exception of the weekend (Ferris advocates one cheat day a week to 1. get it out of your system and 2. Boost thyroid/metabolism/IGF which I think makes sense and is also promoted in Warrior diet with the idea of overeating.

The cost of the supplements is the only downside at $7.26 a day for the new ones on top of whatever my normal supps cost me. If it is as effective as it says then i'm all for it

Took some photos on saturday morning as a before photo (which look better than my Primal before photos which is cool) and i'll post them along with the after photos in 2-3 weeks (will review after 2 and decide if i'll do week 3). Got 9 hours 15 mins sleep on Sunday, good start to the week!

MBur is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    27/02/2012

B - 500ml Ice Lemon water, 4 eggs with lemon and cinnamon. AGG

L - AGG + 1/2 whole chicken

WOD
    Resting 60 seconds between sets:
    Front Squat 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

rest 5 mins

Finisher
    "Annie"
    50-40-30-20-10
    Double Unders
    Situps

There is an 8min cut-off

Result 70-70-75-75-80-80-85-85-85-85kg

Annie 50-50-40-40-30-30-16-0-0-0

D AGG + 4 chicken thighs (300g ish), 1 head of brocolli

PAGG before bed

Burpees 17

Sleep 9 hours 15 min

Got my supplements today, everything is going well, sleep was huge but a bit broken, it was pretty hot tonight. Front squats are definately getting better and rack position is almost locked in. Annie was pretty good, double unders fell apart a bit when I used the speed rope, probably shouldn't switch between ropes as much. Burpees were shit after WOD. Signed up for Deadlift posture experiment at UQ which will be cool.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast