Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My Primal Challenge page 2

dave155 is offline Senior Member

Today's Nutrition

Primal Fuel
    B - a little leftover sausage and mixed peppers, a small sweet potato, some nuts and a cheese stick.
    I was scrounging around for odds and ends and don't think I ate enough.

L- Mixed greens salad with grilled chicken. (hold the croutons!)
    I ate out and this was the best option. I'm sure nothing was organic...

S - another handful of nuts

D - ground beef tacos using lettuce leaves.
    85% lean grass fed from Whole Foods.

My wife had been coming down with a cold. She's on a calorie restricted diet and has been coming home STARVING everyday.

I've been energetic

So the last couple days I've been juicing her chard, kale, carrots, apple and tomato. Then making sure she gets a good meat dish (with some fat on it) for dinner.

She's feeling much better now

Footnote:

I've been drinking the juice with her and it's the only fruit/sugar I've had since Sunday night (New Year's Eve)

ahem, well, I did have two glasses of merlot the other night....

I'm down 5 1/2 lbs since Sunday!

Each of the 1st 4 days my weight was down each day.

I pigged out on the gound beef lettuce tacos last night and was worried I would be up today, but was the same as weight as yesterday.

Weight leveled off the last couple days at 171. I still feel great and have not gone hungry!

My wife is calorie countin on myfitnesspal and comes home from work starving.... She openly admits she likes her carbs and thinks she should be able to enjoy them responsibly.

We'll see who's got better results after 2 weeks.

Food Yesterday:

B - 4 egg omlette (2 were conventional) mixed bell peppers, onion, mushroom and tomato

L - Big ass baby spinach salad w mixed bell peppers, tomato, onion and grilled chicken breast. Balsamic vinager and olive oil to top it off. No PUFA's!

S - handful of nuts

D - 2 small tilapia fillets with a veggie

Alcohol: 2 shots of tequila and 2 glasses of Merlot

My Mother in Law is a Saint. And she's Mexican. This makes for the death of a primal diet and has derailed me before.... Every time someone has a birthday she cooks their favorite dish and has a party at her house.

Today it's fried taco's, Modelo beer and chocolate cake.

The meat for the tacos is usually pretty good and she has lots of chopped lettuce, tomato salsa, etc. The trouble comes in when she wraps it all in a tortilla, fries it and serves it with sour cream, cheese and beer.

It's delicious by the way.

Yes, I am going ove there in a few minutes and here's my plan:

I'm taking lettuce leaves to create the taco wrap and just making the tacos out of that.

I'm skipping the beer and cake. If I have to drink anything, it will be a shot of tequila or a glass of red wine.

Wish me luck!!
    Last edited by dave155; 01-08-2012 at 05:44 PM.

I did it!

I pigged out on the ground beef. I love beef!

No tortillas
    No beer
    No cake

Funny, right now I'm thinking about a glass of wine. I had no problem avoiding the beer and sweets earliet, but since I had already given myself permission to have wine, it's turing into a craving now. I think I'll have a glass, I hope it doesn't turn into the whole bottle...

bellavida is offline Member
    Romaine lettuce leaves are a good replacement for the tortilla, had some myself tonight with guacamole, carnitas and home-made salsa verde...I am mexican myself and there is a reason I waited to go primal until after the New Year. We make tamales every year for Christmas and between that and the endless cookies, chocolates and homemade caramels my sister makes, there was just too much temptation. I might have a glass of red wine myself tonight!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave155 View Post
    They didn't like Paleo, that's for sure. Seems convenience is a high priority for them

I won't speak for anyone else, but if I can't make time for my health, I'm tossing the dice...

Top-Rated Diets Overall | US News Best Diets

Here's what they said:

Paleo Diet

(2.0 out of 5.0)

Experts took issue with the diet on every measure. Regardless of the goal—weight loss, heart health, or finding a diet that’s easy to follow—most experts concluded that it would be better for dieters to look elsewhere. “A true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants,” said one expert—quickly adding, however, that duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult.
    Trying to avoid wheat and other grains when that makes up over 3/4 of the shelf space is tough.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    I'm rooting for you, Dave! There are several obstacles to finally transitioning to being fully Primal. At least for me, first there's the losing of grains. Then there's figuring how to eat lunch at work - where will you dine-out on the run and when will you make a habit of making your own lunch ahead of time. Then, and this at least is very common for women, I realized fighting sugar cravings got a lot easier when I completely took out dairy and fruit (probably because we generally have less muscle than men).

I finally am fighting with more success lately the battle against everyone else's judgement about my diet and exercise. I just got my master's from UC Berkeley, so I especially get crap for being some overly food-conscious snob. But it's getting easier to force them into accepting it and dismissing the judgement. The fact is that we're at an unprecedented point in the whole history of human civilization. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any culture has struggled with obesity the way ours has. And our culture mostly hasn't figured out what to do about it. We know the real reason there's an obesity epidemic: insulin resistance. And we know the only real way to fix that is to cut down on all the extra sugar and carbohydrates (that are quickly changed into even more sugar) while building our strength, not wearing down our knees.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavida View Post
    Romaine lettuce leaves are a good replacement for the tortilla, had some myself tonight with guacamole, carnitas and home-made salsa verde...I am mexican myself and there is a reason I waited to go primal until after the New Year. We make tamales every year for Christmas and between that and the endless cookies, chocolates and homemade caramels my sister makes, there was just too much temptation. I might have a glass of red wine myself tonight!
    I'm right there with you. Tamales for Christmas and Pozole for New Years, then the Poborone (not sure about spelling)

If I skip the tortillas, beans and rice, there is quite a bit of her food I can eat although it's not grass fed or free range.

Do you have other strategies with Mexican cuisine?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast