Thread: Geek Going Primal (Warning: Post WLS) page

charolais.bull is offline Junior Member

Geek Going Primal (Warning: Post WLS)

PREFACE: Yes, I've had WLS. It has mostly worked but I'm looking to enhance my results hence my research into additional methodologies that I can combine with it. Also feel free to decry WLS, it might not be the end all be all solution that most would like it to be but the decision to make a change (even if it's the wrong one in your opinion) can provide a suprising amount of momentum in the right direction.

So I've been struggling with my weight since I was six (i was suprisingly skinny before then) and I've tried a ton of diets (Atkins, Pritikin, Ornish, Cabbage Soup, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc) over the last 22 years. Some of them like Atkins would work for a while (I lost about 60 lbs) but I ultimately would get to the point where I didn't have enough energy to continue exercising the self control to stay on the diet. I've gotten significantly better at picking myself up after my lapses and getting back to business but my weight continued to creep up.

In July of 2010 I topped out the scales at a hefty 376 lbs and I was extremely tired all the time sometimes sleeping 12-15 hours (basically I worked for 8 hours and had 40 mins worth of commuting total daily). Even walking up two flights of stairs at work had me winded and walking down to my clients building (.5 miles) I avoided by riding a shuttle bus when I could. Needless to say something had to change and drastically.

Since diets hadn't worked in the past I decided that it was time to go under the knife. I started the 6 months of nutrition counselling required by my insurance in August of 2010 and completed it in February of 2011. I lost 15 lbs during the nutrition counseling section (which put me at 353.9 lbs the morning of surgery) and increased my exercise considerably (going to the gym for which I'd been paying for the previous year and a half without using much before this). I was at least smart enough not to go above 75% of my max heart rate when I was doing cardio(though only because I have a congenital heart defect that I knew my weight wasn't helping so I was trying to keep it in decent shape). In April of 2011 I underwent a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I chose this particular surgery for several reasons:
    its a restriction based surgery, not malabsorbtive like normal gastric bypass
    it leaves the pyloric valve intact which means less chance of dumping or other complications
    it's arguably safer than the gastric band after the intial healing
    it could be converted to a full gastric bypass if needed in the future
    I'm only 28, I figured if I kept my stomach mostly intact I could also probably take advantage of any advancements made in the future as well

Anyway, since April I've lost a total of 74.4 lbs (brining me down to my current weight of 279.5 lbs), most of that between April and September. Even though I haven't hit all my weight loss goals I'm still quite happy I had the surgery even if I now know it might not necessary if Primal works for me like I think it's going too. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made if only for the the fact that it was the change I needed to start heading in the right direction, verifying CW with some research and common sense of my own before blindly following it.

So anyway, the reason I became interested in Primal is because I've been plateaued between 280 and 290 lbs since about the beginning of September with only marginal gains in lean mass vs fat (I have a Withings scale and they're decently accurate from research). I've tried more exercise, I've tried less exercise, I've tried further restricting my eating. None of those changes has broken the plateau so I figure going Primal is worth a try because it makes a lot of sense to me (it also falls in line with a book called 'Younger Next Year' that I enjoyed in July 2011 as well).

I think going Primal is going to be a good thing for me, even if I might have a little trouble letting go of some of my technology (I'm a software developer by trade and I think I'd have internet wired into my brain if it was possible). I've always been an enjoyed the outdoors though being in terrible shape really curtailed my hunting, fishing, hiking and caving activities.

Jimmyrichard is offline Junior Member
    49, Lane Street COTTLES BRIDGE, VIC - 3099
    Hi,
    I appreciate your post.
    I am grateful to you.
    Thank you

charolais.bull is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for reading my post, Jimmy. So far this journey has been absolutely great. I'm pretty sure I had the "carb flu" for days 2 and 3 but since then I've been great. I actually went to visit my friend in upstate New York for his birthday and only cheated with a pint of hard cider and two bites of mushroom risotto (i had way too much wine in it). I did however get to enjoy some excellent beef jerky, a perfect NY strip steak, and good times.
    Charolais Bull (I might need a new nickname if I lose enough)
    Start Date: 1/3/2012
    Start Weight: 279.5
    Current Weight: 273.8
    Goal Weight: 200

Note: I started my weight loss journey at a all time high 376 lbs in July of 2010. I Had WLS (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) in April of 2011 (353.9 lbs the morning of surgery) but stalled out around the beginning of October 2011. Found out about the whole Primal/Paleo movement in early December 2011 and here I am.

My Primal Journal

Tahitian Moon is offline Junior Member

No Judgement Here

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't worry, you won't find alot of attitude on this forum. Primal is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I too am a lifelong dieter and its helped everything. It's hard letting go of old habits, but if you trust the process you'll see amazing results. Good Luck to you!