Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amenorrhea page

nettle1976 is offline Junior Member

Amenorrhea

Primal Fuel
    Hopefully this is not a TMI post:

I have been on the Paleo/primal type diet for three months now and I love it! I have however not had my menstrual cycle in two months. I know that this can be a dangerous thing to mess with! Within a month of starting I lost 10 pounds. I run about 8-10 miles a day and am now tracking my calories to make sure I am getting 3k calories per day. I have not however slowed down on my running because #1 I love it! and #2 I do not want to gain too much weight or get out of shape! I am thin but very muscular so it is hard for me to say if I am too skinny but obviously have lost too much body fat. ANyone out there have similar issues? If I just increase my calories will my cycle return?Thanks!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    are you still ovulating? it's possible to still be ovulating but not to menstruate. you can check your ovulation by tracking your temperature daily. if you're not ovulating, i'd suggest seeing a doctor

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's normal in winter. Once spring hits and you eat plenty of fresh fruit, expect it to come back. At least, that's how wild primates roll.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I don't know if I am ovulating! Good suggestion!

SPD
    SPD is offline Junior Member
    I'm assuming you've ruled out the possibility of having a bun (OK, Primal meatloaf) in the oven?

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest upping your carb intake, depending on where it's at now. My partner had to do this when she was training for competitions.

My carbs are pretty high for paleo..225 g per day or so! I eat a lot of fruit, winter squash, beets..ect!

McChunky is offline Member
    Excessive exercise and low body fat are the main things that cause amenorrhea if you're not pregnant, breastfeeding or menopausal.

8-10 miles a day sounds like A LOT to me and if you're losing weight you absolutely need more calories / fat / carbohydrates.

When your body is saying it cannot sustain another life, it's a sign you're not getting what you need either.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    This happened to me when I was training for a half. I worked out hard for awhile there and ended up majorly overexercising. I was also keeping calories to 2000 a day, which I guess was too low. I have since stopped hard exercise (it has been 5 months) but I still don't have my cycle back...

I've tried increasing carbs, increasing protein, all kinds of stuff- still no luck. Now I'm just trying to eat good, primal food, listen to my body and hope things fall into place over time. I totally understand not wanting to cut back on running, but just make sure you are eating plenty and well.

Let us know how it goes!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks...I have read that we should be taking calcium supplements. I typically find supplements to be ridiculous but in this case perhaps. Amenorrhea can lead to osteoporosis. In regards to over running. I do not reall
    y think that I am running too much. I think that I was not eating enough calories. I have been running 10 plus miles a day for a really long time without consequence. I just think the paleo in combination with running takes special care and awareness....I am aware now! Wow! The body is amazing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast