Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amenorrhea page 3

nettle1976 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    Wow, is this true? Oh, no wonder. Huh. Well, that's some simple math to underscore the cause of the problem.
    I have read that is is below 14% but it would vary between body types...

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Yes, must be. I myself am definitely above 15%, based on what pics of 15% women look like; probably somewhere like 17-19%.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    Wow, is this true? Oh, no wonder. Huh. Well, that's some simple math to underscore the cause of the problem.
    Yes, it is true.

While some women manage to maintain their cycle at BF% and BMIs lower than 20% or 22, many do not. It does vary from woman to woman, but if your BF is below 20% or your BMI is lower than 22 and you have lost your cycle, then I think it's safe to say you are not someone who can go lower body fat and maintain your cycle.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nettle1976 View Post
    Hi! Thanks for your post. Yes, I agree that a monthly cycle is normal! That was an interesting point of view! I do not know what % body fat that I am but my guess is too low! I have ready that 14% or lower. SO maybe 12-14% dunno but I could get checked.
    You don't have to get it checked. You can check your BMI as well.

I eat really really healthy. I am an organic farmer and raise all of my own vegetables, meat and eggs. Everything I eat is organic and super fresh. I eat loads of fats, protein and a decent amount of carbs. I just started this paleo diet about two-3 months ago. I think I just underestimated my bodies calorie needs. I realize know that I need to eat 3,ooo calories a day. I have been doing this for the past three days on a calorie website that helps me track it too make sure that I am getting what I need. I figure the calcium supplement will help me with damage control until i get my cycle back. I guess that is the most dangerous aspect of amenorrhea is the risk of osteo. Today, I have eaten 2,600 calories 142 g carbs 131g fat 208 g protien. WOW!!! That is so much but hey I guess that is what I need. We shall see! I will play around with this increase in calories for a month and then if need be I will reduce my excercise. I have been running at this level for years so i am reluctant to stop just yet!
    Your carbs are too low and your protein is WAY too high. Something that will help more with protecting your bones from the risk of osteo than calcium supplements while you aren't menstruating is to lower your protein intake! I have some minor bone density loss from my 3 years with HA. I lifted weights the entire time I had HA and took calcium supplements as preventative measures against bone density loss and still had some. I was told that it was because my protein intake was too high (I was consuming 150-200g a day with a lean body mass of 100lbs). Try to get more of your calories from carbs and less from proteins. Also, you'd be surprised what a few grains (rice, wheat, etc) and some sugar can do for someone with HA... I'm not saying gorge on these things, but including some IS beneficial. Moderation is key.

If you really want your period back and really want to avoid oseto and all the other negative effects of HA, you'll cut back on the exercise. For what it's worth, when you engage in cardiovascular activity with HA you area actually doing harm to your heart. There have multiple studies that have been done on women who have continued with cardiovascular activity while dealing with HA and the majority of them have heart damage that leads to heart attacks in later life. Just some food for thought.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    There have multiple studies that have been done on women who have continued with cardiovascular activity while dealing with HA and the majority of them have heart damage that leads to heart attacks in later life. Just some food for thought.
    This is very interesting stuff. High mileage endurance seems to be a hobby that one must manage intelligently to mitigate the damage it can cause. Here we runners thought it was just acute or overuse injuries to be concerned about -- but it seems that there is plenty more the more and more you hear about the elites and others who (are in great "shape") suffering certain maladies disproportionately.

I would love to see how primal runners would fare: you know, people not on the gluten or the pulverized starch/flours, sucrose/fructose, etc. There is a lot a runner can "get away with" eating-wise and still have a nice shape and good performance, but that can also be terrible foods in others ways -- and runners do eat a giant amount of it day in and day out. If we could tease those two factors apart...

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Yeah it's called your body is telling you whatever you are doing ain't right. You don't need to run 8-10 miles a day to "stay in shape". I realize you like it but at the expense of your health? Obviously it concerns you hence the post, so either you ignore it and possibly suffer the consequences or you stop and correct the issue. To me it's a no brainer. Could you possible cut back on the running?

I can sort of relate with my current shoulder impingement. I love working out my shoulders but my left shoulder has been bothering me for awhile. I finally realized I need to stop what I was doing and correct the problem because it was only going to get worse. Your condition doesn't manifest with pain so it's much easier to blow off.

nettle1976 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes, I can certainly cut back on running and eat more. My hesitance with cutting out running is that I do not think that is what caused the problem. It is in direct correlation with my diet therefore I had rather tweek my diet to return my cycle than change everything altogether. I have only just missed my second cycle. I am very much on top of the situation. I will however knock my mileage back indeed. The Winter is my time off from farming. In the Spring and Summer, I can only run a few days a week therefore the late fall & winter is my time to go on my most loved mountain runs.
    "Your carbs are too low and your protein is WAY too high"[/B] In response to this..thanks. I am still trying to figure this whole diet out and was under the assumption that this was target area. There is so much data/research/opinions out there that it is difficult to determine what is correct.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll second the urge to listen to the Robb Wolf podcast. Calcium supplementation should not be necessary, and may even be harmful.

Vitamin D and (maybe) Magnesium, plus exercise that regularly stresses the bones, plus a paleo foundation will get you all you need to ward off osteoporosis. You have at least the exercise and the diet, don't know about your Vit D levels, but if you're running outside in the sun, you probably have that, too.

I would also say run less and lift weights more, but if you love it you love it. Good luck.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123