Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amenorrhea page 2

McChunky is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nettle1976 View Post
    Thanks...I have read that we should be taking calcium supplements. I typically find supplements to be ridiculous but in this case perhaps. Amenorrhea can lead to osteoporosis. In regards to over running. I do not reall
    y think that I am running too much. I think that I was not eating enough calories. I have been running 10 plus miles a day for a really long time without consequence. I just think the paleo in combination with running takes special care and awareness....I am aware now! Wow! The body is amazing!
    I would definitely recommend listening to this Robb Wolf podcast from a couple weeks back. They talk about calcium supplementation and it's very interesting.

The Paleo Solution – Episode 112

nettle1976 is offline Junior Member
    hahaha..yes that would be the first and most obvious place to look. I am not pregnant!

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Yes, in your boat! Keep me posted!

In the past year, I've only had a few periods. Most recently, I went four months without, then had one last month (yahoo), but it skipped again this time around. Like you, its makes me uncomfortable to consider that this is "wrong."

I, like you, don't really want to gain. I eat carbs too. I am also a runner; I also have high mileage since I do half marathons. I will not stop because I race and I love it. But, I also lost my period the first time around when I was doing no running and eating VLC, so the running isn't all at fault; now I'm running and doing normal-primal carbs (~150/day) plus a lot of social eating. The period's disappearance is a little strange methinks.

What do we do?

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    My carbs are pretty high for paleo..225 g per day or so! I eat a lot of fruit, winter squash, beets..ect!
    The trainer she was working with told her that she should be having around 300g of carb on intense days *shrugs* She also had a letter on Robb Wolf's podcast where he suggested some additional supplements, but I can't recall what those were. In the end, she has only become regular because she cut back on training.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    Yes, in your boat! Keep me posted!

In the past year, I've only had a few periods. Most recently, I went four months without, then had one last month (yahoo), but it skipped again this time around. Like you, its makes me uncomfortable to consider that this is "wrong."

I, like you, don't really want to gain. I eat carbs too. I am also a runner; I also have high mileage since I do half marathons. I will not stop because I race and I love it. But, I also lost my period the first time around when I was doing no running and eating VLC, so the running isn't all at fault; now I'm running and doing normal-primal carbs (~150/day) plus a lot of social eating. The period's disappearance is a little strange methinks.

What do we do?
    I will keep you posted..went and bought some calcium/magnesium supplements today. I am going to just try to make sure I get enough calories to hold my weight and see if it comes back. I do not want Osteoporosis! I do feel like I am healthy and look healthy too! Maybe, I will get a thermometer to at least make sure that I am ovulating and take it from there! Good Luck!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    You don't necessarily need supplements, but I bet you do need to cut back significantly on your running and increase your weight. Any idea what your BMI or body fat are?

It's not normal to skip your period in the winter, that comment is ridiculous. It's not normal to skip your period at all. When you do, and it happens for extended periods of time, it's a sign from your body that something is amiss.

Most women need a body fat of +20% or a BMI of 22 to menstruate. Excessive exercise and inadequate nutrition can also cause amenorrhea. In some cases inadequate nutrition doesn't necessarily just mean calories, it may mean where the calories are coming from and the nutritional value of those calories.

I had HA for 3 years. The cause for me was low carbs, excessive exercise, a diet that was too restrictive(I thought I was being "healthy") and low fat. I upped my calories, starchy carbs and fats, lowered my protein and fibre intake, increased my BMI and stopped exercising completely and BAM my period came back.

Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    You don't necessarily need supplements, but I bet you do need to cut back significantly on your running and increase your weight. Any idea what your BMI or body fat are?

It's not normal to skip your period in the winter, that comment is ridiculous. It's not normal to skip your period at all. When you do, and it happens for extended periods of time, it's a sign from your body that something is amiss.

Most women need a body fat of +20% or a BMI of 22 to menstruate. Excessive exercise and inadequate nutrition can also cause amenorrhea. In some cases inadequate nutrition doesn't necessarily just mean calories, it may mean where the calories are coming from and the nutritional value of those calories.

I had HA for 3 years. The cause for me was low carbs, excessive exercise, a diet that was too restrictive(I thought I was being "healthy") and low fat. I upped my calories, starchy carbs and fats, lowered my protein and fibre intake, increased my BMI and stopped exercising completely and BAM my period came back.
    Hi! Thanks for your post. Yes, I agree that a monthly cycle is normal! That was an interesting point of view! I do not know what % body fat that I am but my guess is too low! I have ready that 14% or lower. SO maybe 12-14% dunno but I could get checked.
    I eat really really healthy. I am an organic farmer and raise all of my own vegetables, meat and eggs. Everything I eat is organic and super fresh. I eat loads of fats, protein and a decent amount of carbs. I just started this paleo diet about two-3 months ago. I think I just underestimated my bodies calorie needs. I realize know that I need to eat 3,ooo calories a day. I have been doing this for the past three days on a calorie website that helps me track it too make sure that I am getting what I need. I figure the calcium supplement will help me with damage control until i get my cycle back. I guess that is the most dangerous aspect of amenorrhea is the risk of osteo. Today, I have eaten 2,600 calories 142 g carbs 131g fat 208 g protien. WOW!!! That is so much but hey I guess that is what I need. We shall see! I will play around with this increase in calories for a month and then if need be I will reduce my excercise. I have been running at this level for years so i am reluctant to stop just yet!

I do not want Osteoporosis!
    Agreed! Btw, I bought those same supplements today, too. Even if it doesn't effect your period, I once had the experience of getting a stress fracture in my foot after a training regimen, and its always made me aware that bones need to be taken care of. Don't forget K-2 (look it up as part of an important trio alongside calcium and vitamin D.)

Wow, being in the middle teens for a female is very little body fat. We're all different -- especially genetically-runner types -- but I imagine a point or two (or three) gain would not be a negative, in the least.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with you upping the food!

Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post

Most women need a body fat of +20% or a BMI of 22 to menstruate.
    Wow, is this true? Oh, no wonder. Huh. Well, that's some simple math to underscore the cause of the problem.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't forget K-2 (look it up as part of an important trio alongside calcium and vitamin D.)

Wow, being in the middle teens for a female is very little body fat. We're all different -- especially genetically-runner types -- but I imagine a point or two (or three) gain would not be a negative, in the least.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with you upping the food![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will look into that (k-2)! I also take magnesium which helps with absorption. I take this stuff called calm..it is awesome! It fully relaxes my muscles and makes me sleep really well (not that I have trouble!) I also used it for cramps (when I had a period!! : 0 ) Yeah..it is pretty low body fat. I have one of those body types that just gets really muscular and I am short. I do not super look thin but I guess I am. Anyway, I will give you an update!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast