Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Mango and Leptin page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

African Mango and Leptin

Shop Now
    A co-worker of mine showed me an article in First magazine by Dr. Oz. I used to like Dr. Oz until I became primal and realized all his stuff is just CW, but this one caught my attention because he mentioned leptin.

African Mango (Irvingia gabonensis) "enhances the activity of a hormone (leptin) that plays a crucial role in controlling appetite and optimizing metabolism. Leptin levels increase as fat stores increase. Too much leptin interferes with the brain cells' ability to receive the hormone's appetite suppressing signals. African Mango helps ease this hormone overload so the brain can receive slimming signals. Plus, it's high in antioxidants that soothe internal inflammation."

His recommendation is Life Extension IntegraLean Irvingia 150mg.

I haven't looked into any studies on this... any thoughts?

Sky
    Sky is offline Junior Member
    I am taking but don't really feel any difference.
    Any Other Primal Beings From Singapore?

afroette is offline Member
    hmm? well i spent a summer in kenya and i had my fair share of local mango variety, none of which were sweet like the mangoes here. i saw no major effect. i still ate candy when i had access to it. well i didn't eat a lot of regular food but that was also because too much local food --> too much time in bathroom.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Interesting study ... but there's only about 3% difference in weight between the two groups after four weeks, so even if you could duplicate the results, it wouldn't exactly be a "major" effect. But I suppose that it could make a dramatic difference long term. However, I guess that right now a) those pills are quite expensive, and b) the possible side effects aren't yet explored, and if the stuff does interfere with your hormones then those might indeed exist. During the last century many drugs have been discovered which worked well for "magic" fat loss, but were then discovered to have massive side effects ...

And also, of course I'd like to see follow-up studies from other Universities that get published in peer-reviewed journals ... not to say that I generally don't trust Universities in Cameroon where the researchers have hotmail email addresses, but considering this page from a major manufacturer of the pills:

Irvingia: Understanding the Risks of Leptin Resistance - Life Extension

My skeptic sense is beginning to twitch.

Irvingia - Any data or info on this - BodyRecomposition Support Forums

"This doesn't mean that Oben's research is necessarily bogus, but can you tell me why an American corporation is having an obscure university in a poor West African country do all the research on their products, while simultaneously employing the lead researcher? Smells like bad fish to me."

My skeptic sense is going through the roof. ;-)

Haha... yes, I am a skeptic myself. When I saw that Dr. Oz was recommending it I was skeptical, but was surprised he talked about leptin.

I guess that these days leptin is the en vogue hormone to talk about - so whenever people can mesh it with their topics, they will.

delphiachuenten12 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i don't get it what is wrong with the African mango it is so effective for weight loss. i would like to read more about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast