View Poll Results: Do you think a vegetarian 'Primal' lifestyle is possible?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only 'lacto-ovo' (eggs and appropriate dairy)

41 37.27%
  • Yes

16 14.55%
  • Not sure

8 7.27%
  • No

46 41.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is A Vegetarian "Primal" Lifestyle Possible...? page

brickfur is offline Member

Is A Vegetarian "Primal" Lifestyle Possible...?

Primal Fuel
    I am aware that Grok ate "anything" he could get his hands on... including and probably largely meat!

However, in the modern world... things have changed.

Do you think a vegetarian (lacto-ovo), protein-sufficient diet following the Primal Blueprint is possible? (Not saying its necessarily either recommended, or authentic!)

Thanks!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Didn't Mark say that his kids are veggie primals? and they eat eggs?

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    is it optimal? no. Possible yes but it is going to lack the variety and nuitrient dinsenty of many different meats. Make the diet Lacto ovo- pesca and it becomes really close. With the addition of shellfish, fin fish and mullusk the nutrient variety is much improved. If I lived in a region rich with freshly available seafood but lacking terrastrial flesh I would be ok living off of that.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

primalsun is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanccfshr View Post
    is it optimal? no. Possible yes but it is going to lack the variety and nuitrient dinsenty of many different meats. Make the diet Lacto ovo- pesca and it becomes really close. With the addition of shellfish, fin fish and mullusk the nutrient variety is much improved. If I lived in a region rich with freshly available seafood but lacking terrastrial flesh I would be ok living off of that.
    ^^^ THIS
    I would really recommend adding in shellfish. However, even if you don't add in seafood, I think there is something to be said for all of the things you would still be avoiding on a lacto-ovo vegetarian primal diet. You would still benefit greatly from avoiding grains, sugars, and bad oils. Whats that saying everyone throws around on these forums?? I think its "Don't let perfection be the enemy of good." So, keep in mind while its not optimal, it sure as hell will be better than a standard vegetarian diet just make sure you get enough food in general as eating enough a primal vegetarian diet might be a challenge. good luck!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Possible sure. Hell, you could be a heroin addict and primal, if heroin was your only 20%. But optimal-no, not at all.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Possible sure. Hell, you could be a heroin addict and primal, if heroin was your only 20%. But optimal-no, not at all.
    Heehee! Good point!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think you need to be less concerned about what social group you fall into and instead concern yourself with your health. Times have indeed changed, but that doesn't mean you can't eat animals unless you don't want to, and if you've already made that decision, then you're not really interested in what's best for you as you're not prioritizing yourself.

Honestly, the above is harsh and I don't really care what any person chooses to do I just worry about me and in my world, everything that constitutes as real food is on the menu. The fact that I have learned ruminants and other animals (that aren't fish) are really good for me is just a bonus. While the primal lifestyle changed many things about me, being considered "primal" doesn't interest me. Only you people on the internet know that. Everywhere else I'm just me, and I eat meat and vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think you need to be less concerned about what social group you fall into and instead concern yourself with your health. Times have indeed changed, but that doesn't mean you can't eat animals unless you don't want to, and if you've already made that decision, then you're not really interested in what's best for you as you're not prioritizing yourself.

Honestly, the above is harsh and I don't really care what any person chooses to do I just worry about me and in my world, everything that constitutes as real food is on the menu. The fact that I have learned ruminants and other animals (that aren't fish) are really good for me is just a bonus. While the primal lifestyle changed many things about me, being considered "primal" doesn't interest me. Only you people on the internet know that. Everywhere else I'm just me, and I eat meat and vegetables.
    Definitely see the point in what you're saying here. However my vegetarianism is something that I see as a social status item etc. I became vegetarian for what I see as 'compassionate' reasons, due to my abhorrence of factory farming practices, and my belief in the sentience of animal life.
    I'm aware that life is survival of the fittest. But in this modern day and age, in which many of us are happy to take advantage of both a primal lifestyle, yet utilise modern supplements etc. to optimise our health even further, I thought that perhaps modifiying a primal diet to suit a modern dietary choice made for personal reasons (obviously I'm not talking about stuff like combining conventional wisdom with the primal blueprint!) would be possible, or at least looked upon as something that could be worked towards for some...

Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    Didn't Mark say that his kids are veggie primals? and they eat eggs?
    I don't remember seeing this, but I'm very new here! I'd love to find any posts in which Mark discusses these issues...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brickfur View Post
    Definitely see the point in what you're saying here. However my vegetarianism is something that I see as a social status item etc. I became vegetarian for what I see as 'compassionate' reasons, due to my abhorrence of factory farming practices, and my belief in the sentience of animal life.
    I'm aware that life is survival of the fittest. But in this modern day and age, in which many of us are happy to take advantage of both a primal lifestyle, yet utilise modern supplements etc. to optimise our health even further, I thought that perhaps modifiying a primal diet to suit a modern dietary choice made for personal reasons (obviously I'm not talking about stuff like combining conventional wisdom with the primal blueprint!) would be possible, or at least looked upon as something that could be worked towards for some...
    Our opinions differ (greatly) but yeah you can be pretty healthy if you simply avoid processed foods. Just follow a primal diet minus the meats you're against eating and presto. You may want to consider oysters and other mollusks that aren't "really animals" (you can google, I found this: It's OK for vegans to eat oysters. - Slate Magazine) but are nutritionally great. I find both vegan and vegetarian lifestyles to be very silly, and usually greatly misinformed, but typically well-intentioned...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast