View Poll Results: Do you think a vegetarian 'Primal' lifestyle is possible?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only 'lacto-ovo' (eggs and appropriate dairy)

42 37.84%
  • Yes

16 14.41%
  • Not sure

8 7.21%
  • No

46 41.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is A Vegetarian "Primal" Lifestyle Possible...? page 3

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by brickfur View Post
    Definitely see the point in what you're saying here. However my vegetarianism is something that I see as a social status item etc. I became vegetarian for what I see as 'compassionate' reasons, due to my abhorrence of factory farming practices, and my belief in the sentience of animal life.
    I'm aware that life is survival of the fittest. But in this modern day and age, in which many of us are happy to take advantage of both a primal lifestyle, yet utilise modern supplements etc. to optimise our health even further, I thought that perhaps modifiying a primal diet to suit a modern dietary choice made for personal reasons (obviously I'm not talking about stuff like combining conventional wisdom with the primal blueprint!) would be possible, or at least looked upon as something that could be worked towards for some...
    I think that what iniquity is (rightly) saying is that you can be a grain-free, no-sugar, whole foods non meat-eater if you like, and nobody will mind a bit. It's not best for your health because humans are healthier when we get at least some amount of animal fat and protein. But you make whatever choices you want and then label yourself whatever you want. "Primal" is just a loose catchall term anyhow.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    ok, i voted as yes, but only with eggs...

on the same note, the best way to be compassionate towards animals is to buy from local farmers and not buy anything processed, as subsidized farming is killing a lot of animals and natural habitats...its just a different evil compared to factory farming, neither is good, both do huge amounts of damage to the earth.

if you buy local, you don't support the government's usda's choice to subsidize corn and soy and wheat which kills the land and you aren't supporting factory farming. local farmers know that they have to take care of the land and animals.

plus if you are against factory meat then you would also be limited by eggs, butter, milk, any dairy product as well. you would have to go to local sources for that as well. support the local guy who cares about his animals, his land, and his community

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grok View Post
    ok, i voted as yes, but only with eggs...

on the same note, the best way to be compassionate towards animals is to buy from local farmers and not buy anything processed, as subsidized farming is killing a lot of animals and natural habitats...its just a different evil compared to factory farming, neither is good, both do huge amounts of damage to the earth.

if you buy local, you don't support the government's usda's choice to subsidize corn and soy and wheat which kills the land and you aren't supporting factory farming. local farmers know that they have to take care of the land and animals.

plus if you are against factory meat then you would also be limited by eggs, butter, milk, any dairy product as well. you would have to go to local sources for that as well. support the local guy who cares about his animals, his land, and his community
    There is no logic in justifying vegetarianism/veganism by citing animal welfare. However, you are correct that small local farms are the way to support animal welfare.

wasn't trying to justify it. she posted that she was doing it because she was against factory meat...thats all

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grok View Post
    wasn't trying to justify it. she posted that she was doing it because she was against factory meat...thats all
    Sorry if I came across wrong, I was agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Sorry if I came across wrong, I was agreeing with you.
    i know...its all good

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Am I a smoker if I have 1 cigar each year on Christmas Day?
    Can I be gay if I occasionally sleep with women?
    Can I be Primal if I eat bread once a month?

Do you see my point? Why worry about labels when there's a life to be lived. You can be whatever you want to be, you only answer to yourself.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Its certainly not optimal, I don't even know if you could define a meat free diet as "paleo/primal" since its all about eating flesh.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    No. You can be a healthy vegetarian if you're willing to put forth the effort and research, but it's impossible in the Primal sense. Grok would have died because he would have lacked the scientific knowledge to make "complete proteins" out of vegetarian sources. Vegetarianism is an elitist luxury that only exists in the modern world. Even so-called "ancient cultures" that were vegetarian have only existed for mere seconds in the grand scheme of things.

Besides, I doubt Grok ate very many vegetables, anyway. I feel the current iteration of the Primal Blueprint, while improved since the last version, still puts way too high of an emphasis on vegetable intake - probably for a reason, since it's much easier to get the masses to embrace vegetables than liver, kidney, heart, tongue and brain. I feel a diet high in organ meats, moderate in muscle meats, moderate in starchy tubers/roots/squashes and moderate to low in fruit with low quantities of fibrous vegetables and nuts is the ideal human diet, but that's just my opinion.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

johny-j is offline Junior Member
    I am a vegetarian. I don't eat meat or fish not because of any moral grounds or because I feel sorry for the animals, I just don't like it. I find the texture disgusting to take. I found myself eating less and less and it was much easier to become vegetarian than to keep refusing meals offered to me. My children all eat meat, I prepare meat and fish dishes for them. All I would like to know is how can I stay the very healthy person I am within the bounds of the primal eating plan. I don't need preaching to about why I should eat meat and fish..I don't...end of...but I am interested in knowing what alternatives I can indulge in. I take it cheese is a nono? So if anyone out there can give me any no nonsense help and advice rather than criticism I would be very grateful..

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I think you need to be less concerned about what social group you fall into and instead concern yourself with your health. Times have indeed changed, but that doesn't mean you can't eat animals unless you don't want to, and if you've already made that decision, then you're not really interested in what's best for you as you're not prioritizing yourself.

Honestly, the above is harsh and I don't really care what any person chooses to do I just worry about me and in my world, everything that constitutes as real food is on the menu. The fact that I have learned ruminants and other animals (that aren't fish) are really good for me is just a bonus. While the primal lifestyle changed many things about me, being considered "primal" doesn't interest me. Only you people on the internet know that. Everywhere else I'm just me, and I eat meat and vegetables.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast