Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grokette of The North page

snowflake67 is offline Junior Member

Grokette of The North

Primal Fuel
    So....I'm on day three eating primal, lifted heavy things & moved slowly. Not bad!

I'm listening to my body...when I'm hungry...I eat! I'm feeling surprisingly satisfied as well. None of these carb induced crashes that plague me most every afternoon. I think today was the best example of a slight insulin dip that I rectified by munching on a handful of macadamia nuts!

Today was a lift heavy things day...I almost let my head take over & decide I must be too tired, but with those nuts & a hard boiled egg when I got home I was good to go! I worked heavy ( which now after reading one of Mark's articles today about woman lifting - the title escapes me, my apologies) I left feeling spent, but good. I've been doing push ups, crunches & planks at home so was surprised at my strength!

I'm involving my kids in meal preparation & showed my 15 year old son how to adapt my Mom's Oven Fried Chicken into something Grok would love! Who knew that coconut flour & some seasoning would be so tasty! Accompanied by a salad made by my 10 yr old daughter I was stuffed!

A good day! Now if I can just get the sun to come up at a civilized time!

Jo Anne

After work yesterday I went to the gym and rode the stationary bike for 45 min! I really didn't think I would go the whole time...but I did!

Utilized fit day.com to input what I ate...now I plan to use it all the time...amazing little tool! I can tweak things now!

Important to note...after my ride, I came home, ate my dinner of Primal Texas Chili (thanks MDA!) and promptly fell asleep by 8 pm...still in my workout clothes! I think I need to work on my sleep...

Off to work fellow Grok's!

Jo Anne

A little bit about where I've been, where I am and where I plan to go from here....

I am a 44 year old single mom; son 15, daughter 10. My ex husband was/is an addict....my way of dealing with stress was food. Growing up I lived in the water! I traipsed around the woods in the summers behind our cabin at the lake, walked, swam, water skied, went tubing, rode bikes...I could eat anything and not gain. I was active in school, cheerleader, volleyball, swim team. In college I continued to be active with dance/jazz classes, weight lifting, and more swimming...so I stayed fairly fit. The day I said "I do" it all seem to change. I married at 27, had my first child soon after. Five years later...I was looking at 250 lbs and pregnant with my daughter. I lost quite a bit after she was born....the stress...I had left my husband; going back to my family, no job, not knowing what would happen...I was down around 200. Long story short, been on the diet rollercoaster! The most recent was hormone therapy complete with phentermine....I got down to 175! Determined to get a handle on my weight on my own and for life, I quit the pills. Still taking the meds for a low functioning thyroid, however. So, here you find me...5'7" at 210 (on 1/1/12) Where do I plan to go from here....

Primal! My first goal is a bit bold...185 lbs by 4/1/12. I have a wonderful man in my life that is currently finishing training as a FMF Navy Reserve Corpsman...our goal together is to complete an obstacle course! Among other things! He is my inspiration...he is 39 years old and bests most of his shipmates, he is also their confidante, he is the best of men! He is my biggest cheerleader on my journey to be a fit, healthy and SEXY middle aged woman! Gosh! I can't have gotten "middle aged"! I want my body to match how I feel! And I don't feel 44!

I am ready to finally LIVE my life...show my kids that goals can be achieved and that we can have a full life...just eat, sleep & play hard!

Jo Anne

Been a bit under the weather the last few days, but still kept it Primal!

My first week I went from 210 to 205 on 1/7/12! Wow!

I was surprised that I didn't feel hungry, I am making it a point to listen to my body...think about why I want to eat (stress does it for me)... Am I really hungry...or is work getting to me? I am still struggling with caffeine...coffee is my morning staple and diet coke in the afternoon. I'd like to just have a nice cup o'joe in the morning and not have any diet coke, but I find it really hard! One change at a time, one step at a time! This is a lifestyle change!

I used some of the recipes in the Primal Blueprint Cookbook this week...easy! And my kids liked them!!! Score! I also tried the Primal Trail Mix from one of the eBooks Mark generously gives us online....yum! I've had macadamia nuts as a snack around 4 pm to ward off my evening munchies. My meals have included eggs, veggies, salads, acorn squash ( new to my taste buds), berries, and meat!

For my work outs I lifted heavy things once during the week, walked on my treadmill for up to a mile & a half a couple of days & went to the gym for a 45 min stationary bike ride (8 miles)! On my treadmill days I do a few sets of pushups, crunches, planks, and flutter kicks. Not very intense compared to last year, trying to run on a bad knee & back! And trying to get in at least a 20 min cardio video workout, this was much better!

Well, dinner beckons....what shall I try tonight?

It finally warmed up! Yesterday it was -30 and today it's 15 above! Oh, by the way....did I tell you I was from Alaska? I'm finding that I'm having a challenge this year with the cold and darkness more so than most years...my family has been here since 1907...so you'd think we'd be used to it!

Its difficult to get outdoors in the winter...I'd like to try cross country skiing, but, on a limited, one income, it makes it hard to get the gear...and then what if the kids don't like it? I've been searching for a place to rent skis just to try it out...not much luck! I'm planning on checking out Creamer's Field to see about walking on the trails there...Grok I'm sure walked in snow somewhere! Snowshoes maybe?? Gotta come up with alternatives! Any ideas are welcomed!

I'm taking note of some stomach upset that I mentioned yesterday...not sure if it's something I'm eating that maybe I'm not used to or if it's something I need to eliminate (caffine?) Hmmm!

ehenry01 is offline Junior Member
    Where in Alaska are you snowflake67? If you are in Anchorage REI has great deals for members to rent X-country skis including the fact that they don't count the day you rent them as a rental day (so you get two days for the price of one)...I know here in Dutch Harbor our local PCR rents out snowshoes and other gear for free, so maybe check out your local community center...never know what they may have

now that I have googled creamer's field I see you are in fairbanks....I only know Anchorage and have never been to fairbanks...pesky place to get outside I hear!

I tend to have some stomach issues in the morning right after my coffee, but I love coffee way to much to give it uP! If you want to get to the bottom of your stomach issuesI would recommend starting a log of everything you eat and when the issues come up...best way to track down the culprit!

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jo Anne- congrats to your for starting the journey to better health!

I drink coffee usually every morning so I wouldn't stress over that. The Diet Coke habit needs to go, but you already know that and you have a good mindset "one step at a time".

The big thing is to not fret over every single food choice- keep it primal 80% of the time and you'll be 100% golden!

Best to you on your journey!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thank you for the advice....both for the ski rental ideas & the stomach! I wondered if it was my vitamins...I take the same ones everyday, so I tried skipping them today. I thought maybe the coffee...been trying samples...a bit stronger than I'm used too, so that might be it (the coffee at the office didn't bother me)... So hence my quest....! Dutch Harbor huh? I've lived in Alaska all my life & have unfortunately not explored much of it! How long have you been there?

Thanks ELCO14 for the support! I only drank 2 diet cokes today! Progress!

PrimalCon New York
    I went to lunch yesterday to a Greek restaurant here in town...always great food, but I wasnt sure what I would be able to have. One of the specials was Greek salad (which I could eat!) with shrimp & crab stuffed avocados! Yee haw, score!

I have a luncheon tomorrow....so hopefully there will be some meat & veggies there!

Went and lifted weights Tuesday. Working with heavier weights, much to the chagrin of many people I know! Primal living is not something people quite agree with... I've shared what I'm doing with people & they are quick with all that conventional wisdom...oh you've got to include "good" carbs....lift light weight lots of reps....or you'll bulk up! I just nod and think, ya, well, I'll show them that this WORKS! I'm not starving! I feel really good today! I don't feel like I'm killing myself at the gym! Sorry fellow Groks... I totally went down a different rabbit trail there!

Anyway! Tonight I completed a 50 min stationary bike ride & did 10 miles! Wow! I rested yesterday....I had been getting up at 4 & 5 am doing a mile to a mile and a half every weekday morning, along with planks, pushups (girl style), crunches, & flutter kicks. Not finding that I made much progress...looking forward to seeing those underlying stomach muscles someday in the near future!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast