Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grokette of The North page 2

snowflake67 is offline Junior Member
    I actually slept for 12 hours Friday night! I got up and walked on the treadmill - 2 miles.... Felt great! Lots of energy! I really didn't eat much yesterday, which surprised me! I had a bacon and two egg breakfast, cheese & reindeer sausage ( made locally) and when I was out I bought a bag of beef jerkey (not the best thing but better than the other alternatives out there), a hot dog at the hockey game - no bun, & a couple pieces of string cheese (again dairy, but in a pinch it works for me). I did have a couple cocktails...but, they were vodka & sugar free red bull (I know I know! Not heathy! But I really didn't want wine) I did drink a lot of water too to try to offset the cocktails. So we'll see if that effected anything!

My plan was to go with no alcohol, but moderation is probably the way to go. I have work related social events and at time a drink is nice to have.

I feel good about my efforts this week! I'm down 2 more pounds sitting at 203...I've lost inches too! So let's see how next week fairs! I'd like to be back under 200 so that's what I'm shooting for this week!

ehenry01 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake67 View Post
    Dutch Harbor huh? I've lived in Alaska all my life & have unfortunately not explored much of it! How long have you been there?

Been coming here for 5 years now, kinda living here since end of 2009...Dutch isn't really touristy, but there are awesome hidden places to explore that is forsure!

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Snowflake67--

Just wondering. I absolutely love Blue Monkey coconut water -- not sure if it's made it that far north, but just in case, I wonder if that might help take the place of the diet Coke. Coconut water is super sweet and very primal. Reading your posts makes me realize I better get going on the exercise part of this whole thing.

I've been wondering about coconut water! We have a fairly large selection at the grocery store...I'll see if they have the brand you mentioned.

Exercise this week for me has been a big fat zero! But, that's ok....I've been sleeping more...does a body good!

Sooo....the tacos spread they provided at Monday's work retreat cost me all the weight lost the week before...I know now that it is water weight...I have nearly lost it all again. But...just think two weeks worth of work blown away by a moderate "cheat"! I didn't even eat that much! Wow! I've have thought that I was "allergic" to carbs....I am now sure that grain is NOT my friend!

I have focused this week on a couple of things....sleep & cutting down on caffeine. I've got it down to about 2 cups of coffee in the morning at work & go from between 1-2 diet cokes a day...much better than at the start of the year. I will keep working on it.

I haven't felt much like dragging myself out of bed to walk on the treadmill this week. Nor have I felt like going out in -47 to go to the gym! So, I've allowed myself to sleep...what a concept! I used to wake every two hours (especially with little kids)...lately I've been averaging 5-6 hrs a night with maybe one wake up. The weekends I'd sleep much longer, but I need consistent, regular sleep every night. So, I've been working on that this week!

I'm still keeping track on fitday.com and have managed to keep my carbs to under 50 per day...so let's see what happens the end of the week!!

Grok On!

Well I've lost all the water weight for Monday's diversion from primal eating! Plus I lost an additional 2 lbs! A month nearly gone & I've lost 9 lbs so far! Cutting out grains certainly works for me. I've slept rather well all week too. I think that our -47 below weather combinded with the short duration of sunlight really effects my desire to work out. Luckily we now are getting five hours of sunlight, so things should turn around soon!

Tomorrow is my weigh/measure day! So we'll see how the week went! I have a cold, but managed several day doing my little exercise regimen. It was really cold again this week so I just did my home routine... Treadmill 1.5 miles, flutter kicks, crunches, girly push ups, and planks.

My co workers got pizza the other day....I ate only the toppings! So proud of myself! I've been sticking to the primal lifestyle fairly well!

See ya tomorrow fellow Grok's!

PrimalD is offline Junior Member
    Good Luck Snowflake 67. I have always found eating in groups with friends and coworkers who don't understand primal eating difficult. However, I have found that giving myself permission to be unapologetic to others because I have taken control of my life and health is working out really well!

These days, if I am invited out for a dinner or BBQ at someone's house, I ask if I can bring along a dish to contribute...and then I always know there is something for me to eat. Also, I bring food for lunch to work as to not fall into those cheat traps...as I feel it would be better to cheat on a nice meal out (rather than the crappy office pizza for instance!). But also, I find that bringing my own food is saving me tons of money and giving me a sense of control and power over all of my food choices.

Keep up the good work...sounds like sodas are really your biggest weakness. I read a study done on mice showing that those fed off artificial sweetener were just as likely to be overweight than those consuming sugar. You should do some research on what actually goes into diet sodas and what those chemicals do for the body (that really helped me to ditch any kind of artificial foods over the last few months). One of my happiest results going primal has been my adult acne disappearing and even better...so has my cellulite!

All the best!
    PrimalD

Primal D,

Thanks for the great advice! I do take my own lunch to work everyday, but there are those occasions where I just don't have time to eat it and the take out food is easier. I pretty much stopped partaking though, except for the pizza the otherday.

I know that diet coke is a major vice for me. I will do some research on it. I know that it's bad for me. I just have such a hard time giving it up! Maybe that's why I have so much cellulite! I want detail on that success of yours! Do tell!

Thanks for the support!

Jo Anne

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Been MIA for a bit, so here's where I'm at...

Been doing really well sticking primal. I decided smiplicity in my diet is key for me. I have two kids, so I need to keep it simple. I typically eat 2 eggs fried in butter or coconut oil with a bit of shredded cheese on top and coffee with heavy whipping cream in the morning. If I'm hungry around 10 AM or so I'll have a hard boiled egg or some primal friendly nuts (diet coke craving usually hits this time of day for me). For lunch I pack a bad a** salad - romaine, iceberg lettuce, celery, zucchini, cucumber, grape tomatos, avacado, and whatever left over meat from dinner the night before and sometimes hard boiled egg. I'm good the rest of the afternoon. If I go to the gym after work I'll have a hard boiled egg or some chedder cheese slices. Dinner I have anything from turkey burger, chicken, steak or pork chops (I've been buying chops & ground beef from a local market - the cows are just on the other side of town and grass fed!) I add a salad similar to my lunch salad (I make it at the same time so it's ready to grab in the morning). Then usually no desert....we often eat late, so I'm not hungry for it.

Last week I felt a little bit like nothing was budging weight wise...hovering up a little to 202 lbs. I've been at the gym, but this last week I have been making a serious effort to switch to the PB type of work out...so far so good!

I've done about a 30 min stationary bike ride 2xs and worked on weights 1x then, I did my first sprints on the stationary bike on sunday! I think that's what brought me back down to the 200 lb mark!

I'm more accountable to excercise now since taking my 15 yr old out of public school to homeschooling. We have physical fitness class four days a week....It helps to get me to the gym, because he has to for his grade. I was always a high achiever in school...so a "A" in gym is a no brainer for me...it's great for both of us! We get time together just mother and son as well as showing him that goals & attention to your health is important. I'm feeling so empowered right now!!

Grok on!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast