Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are sunflower, sesame & soybean oil bad? page

hxl2012 is offline Member

Why are sunflower, sesame & soybean oil bad?

Primal Fuel
    Why should we avoid them?
    Thanks for any input.
    Nothing you can't do once you believe that you can.

SW:120lb
    CW:116lb
    GW:110lb

Roth is offline Junior Member
    Insane amounts of omega-6s. Soybean oil is a very mild phytoestrogen as well. From what I've read, most of the phytoestrogens are within the protein matrices of soy, so soybean oil might still have trace amounts, but less than soy protein or whole soybeans.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Sesame should only ever be used in small quantities in any case. It's a flavouring oil, not a cooking oil.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I often add 3-4 shakes of sesame chili oil to my salads. It probably equates to 1/4 teaspoon. Never use it in large quantities, and NEVER cook with it. Only add to food after it's been cooked. It's actually loaded with antioxidants and small amounts are very healthy. Large quantities would be a disaster, especially heated as it will oxidize rapidly.

There is no excuse to ever, EVER eat soybean or sunflower oil. They're both horrendous for your health AND tasteless, so there's not a single upside.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Sesame should only ever be used in small quantities in any case. It's a flavouring oil, not a cooking oil.
    I know this, and it's like olive oil not for cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I often add 3-4 shakes of sesame chili oil to my salads. It probably equates to 1/4 teaspoon. Never use it in large quantities, and NEVER cook with it. Only add to food after it's been cooked. It's actually loaded with antioxidants and small amounts are very healthy. Large quantities would be a disaster, especially heated as it will oxidize rapidly.

There is no excuse to ever, EVER eat soybean or sunflower oil. They're both horrendous for your health AND tasteless, so there's not a single upside.
    Thanks, I see what you meant. Do you also mean that sunflower seeds are not good for our health?
    I am Chinese, and we like stir-frying dishes. My family don't like salad, espcially in winter, salad is too cold for our stomach.
    Could you please tell me besides butter, lard and coconut oil, what type of oil can be used to cook?

Quote Originally Posted by hxl2012 View Post
    Thanks, I see what you meant. Do you also mean that sunflower seeds are not good for our health?
    I am Chinese, and we like stir-frying dishes. My family don't like salad, espcially in winter, salad is too cold for our stomach.
    Could you please tell me besides butter, lard and coconut oil, what type of oil can be used to cook?
    No, sunflower seeds aren't "good" for your health. But small amounts as a snack every now and again won't hurt you. Keep it limited. Think of sunflower seeds like a slice of cake. You wouldn't expect to be healthy eating cake every day, right? But a slice of cake once or twice a month? That's a drop in the bucket. Well, except sunflower seeds are way better for you than cake, but you get the idea!

Extra virgin olive oil
    Avocado oil
    Butter
    Ghee (clarified butter)
    Lard (pork fat)
    Duck fat
    Tallow (beef fat)
    Coconut oil
    Red palm oil
    Palm kernel oil

These are all acceptable cooking oils. I wouldn't cook with anything but them. If you need something high heat for stir-frying, I strongly recommend you look into either avocado oil or render your own beef tallow or clarified butter. They all have very high smoke points. For general stir-frying, my go-to oils are virgin coconut and extra virgin olive oil, depending on the flavor I want. Both hold up very well to heat, but their smoke points are too low for good deep frying.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-03-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by hxl2012 View Post
    I know this, and it's like olive oil not for cooking.
    Olive oil is absolutely 100% for cooking. Cook with extra virgin olive oil all you want. I don't know where this rumor started that olive oil can't be used for cooking. It's absolute BS. Even Mark has written several posts about people's insanity thinking olive oil can't be used for cooking. It's extremely heat stable. Not to the extent that clarified butter is, but it's still very resilient.

Olive oil is absolutely 100% for cooking. Cook with extra virgin olive oil all you want. I don't know where this rumor started that olive oil can't be used for cooking. It's absolute BS. Even Mark has written several posts about people's insanity thinking olive oil can't be used for cooking. It's extremely heat stable. Not to the extent that clarified butter is, but it's still very resilient.
    OH~ that's good. I can use olive oil for cooking now~ I thought it is just for salad. Thanks a lot~ i read your thread about carbs refeeding, that's really
    helpful~^_^

No, sunflower seeds aren't "good" for your health. But small amounts as a snack every now and again won't hurt you. Keep it limited. Think of sunflower seeds like a slice of cake. You wouldn't expect to be healthy eating cake every day, right? But a slice of cake once or twice a month? That's a drop in the bucket. Well, except sunflower seeds are way better for you than cake, but you get the idea!

Extra virgin olive oil
    Avocado oil
    Butter
    Ghee (clarified butter)
    Lard (pork fat)
    Duck fat
    Tallow (beef fat)
    Coconut oil
    Red palm oil
    Palm kernel oil

These are all acceptable cooking oils. I wouldn't cook with anything but them. If you need something high heat for stir-frying, I strongly recommend you look into either avocado oil or render your own beef tallow or clarified butter. They all have very high smoke points. For general stir-frying, my go-to oils are virgin coconut and extra virgin olive oil, depending on the flavor I want. Both hold up very well to heat, but their smoke points are too low for good deep frying.
    Thanks. I have a deeper understanding of cooking oil now. It's easy for me to get lard, tallow, but I have no idea about clarified butter. Butter is not
    productive in my country, and we just have 2-3 brands making butter.Some are imported from other countries. I am not sure whether they are of
    good quality or not. Avocado oil is not available in my country. Cooking in lard is nice...haha...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast