Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Eggs ... How Many is too Many? page

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member

Chicken Eggs ... How Many is too Many?

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone

Since going primal I've been using eggs a lot for breakfasts, sometimes scrambled, but often fried using macadamia oil. I'll often attack 4-5 in the morning.

That said I still havent quite shed the old cholesterol based thinking. Is this too many ??? Or can I put that thinking to rest completely - given I'm working hard on keeping the carb curve firmly in the weight loss zone.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if I'd do 5 every morning. I guess from a primal/paleo perspective, there's nothing wrong with that as far as cholesterol goes, but I'm a big believer in the benefits of variety. From a primal/paleo perspective, it's easy to see how a ton of variability would have been worked into our ancestor's diets. I also think it's easy to see, from a medical standpoint, how we would benefit from that. Then we wouldn't get used to having an overabundance or low amount of certain vitamins/minerals in our diet.

I do find that under a paleo diet I do end up eating eggs most days, though. I try to pull them out every once in a while for a week or two. I also usually only eat 3 or 4.

How are they in macadamia oil?

waynebw is offline Member
    I do 5-6 raw (almost 1 cup) every morning with a banana in a shake and have been doing so for about 3 years. My cholesterol and other bloodwork is great.

I will add that I have never been overweight or had any other health issues, and am 33 years old - if that's of relevance.

In my opinion, whole eggs (or yolks) are great - I believe if you get gas from them, that means you had too many to digest. Before I cut out grains I would get gas from eating more than 2, but without grains on a primal diet I can eat over 7 without any issue, which tells me I digest them 100%. Plus a primal diet has improved my digestion!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Easily 4 eggs a day, if not 5 or 6 lately. Typically I eat more eggs in the summer but I have tons of pickled eggs in the fridge to be eaten (I had a huge surplus of eggs and had to preserve them.) 4 eggs for lunch, plus 2-3 fresh ones in the morning. No harm.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Diana, I've seen your pickled egg recipe and it's intriguing - I'm thinking of making them myself. Can you advise how long they would keep in the fridge, once pickled? Do you need to do any special sterilising of the jars, etc? (I've never canned anything in my life!)
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    30-40 a week for quite some time now with no problems. My doc tells me my cholesterol is right on point.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Sigi- I'm not how long they'll last. Quite a while. I'm eating eggs from July. As for sterilization, I just run my jars through the dishwasher, clean, without soap. That generally does the trick. Most newer dishwashers even have a setting for it. Otherwise, there are processes either boiling, or oven heating.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Even on days I eat 4 eggs that's still less than when I ate lots of pastries.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all - that's great, because I am really enjoying them! I take the point on variety - that is something I need to work on.

As for how they are in macadamia oil - nothing short of fantastic, I find it brings out the flavour and I haven't burned one yet! Highly recommended.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    How many eggs is too many? When you eat so much you can't walk, but that goes for overeating in general.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast