Thread: Switching from Vegan/Raw to Primal in Mid-Life page

MrsFairbanks is offline Junior Member

Switching from Vegan/Raw to Primal in Mid-Life

Hello!

I'm a middle-aged homeschool mom who was vegan and then raw for a couple of years, but still tired. I'm seeing a natural practitioner, who put me on a Primal-type diet. He says the body can only get so healthy from raw foods; at some point, it needs animal protein to heal. So here I am.

I've been eating fairly close to a Primal diet for about three months, but adding in peanuts and lots of cheese, not watching the fat or anything. Now, after three months, I'm starting to feel a little better, but I'm frustrated at my progress. I'm cutting out peanuts and cheese, and I'm ready to start exercising. I've never liked exercise, not even as a child. I have about ten pounds that I've never been able to lose for very long.

I don't know fit I can expect to get at my age, but any improvement will be better than nothing! :-)

primalsun is offline Member
    Welcome! I was a vegan for nine months and although it was a short amount of time it landed me with a ton of health problems and nutritional deficiencies. I too was looking to lose weight but actually ended up gaining about ten pounds when I sarted primal. Of course, this weight was mostly muscle and most likely skeletal tissue that my body wanted to make but couldnt due to my veganism. Give your body time to heal and make sure you eat a good amount of healthy fats ( pastured butter, tallow, coconut oil) to allow your body the tools it needs to rebuild itself. It will be easier to lose weight once your body has been healed and your hormones are in check. Also, i would try removing all dairy for a few weeks to see how you feel. Good luck with the rest of your journey!

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Hi there, Welcome.

I'm a homeschooling Xvegan too! Good luck with your new lifestyle.

Give your body time to heal and make sure you eat a good amount of healthy fats (pastured butter, tallow, coconut oil) to allow your body the tools it needs to rebuild itself. It will be easier to lose weight once your body has been healed and your hormones are in check.
    How long should it take to heal and for hormones to be in check? I was hoping three months would have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFairbanks View Post
    How long should it take to heal and for hormones to be in check? I was hoping three months would have done it.
    I hate to say it, but three months in the grand scheme of things is really just the blink of an eye. I think viewing the primal way of life as a journey will help with the impatience that a lot of us feel when trying to heal ourselves. It may take six months, a year, or even a few years before your body is FULLY done healing. This doesn't mean you have to wait years to see "results" but there is a good chance these results won't happen as soon as you want them. I went primal sometime around early july (I didn't join the forum until a little later) and I have just recently started seeing changes in my energy, mood, weight, and overall quality of life. Mind you, I'm a young male and many young men who start this way of life see drastic improvements in a matter of weeks so I totally understand any frustrations you may have. The key is patience, having faith that you're doing your body good no matter what changes you may initially see, and understanding that if after a while things really aren't changing in your body, it may be time to tweak. For me the tweak was more exercise and actually focusing on having less stress in my life. You said you are cutting out peanuts and cheese which I think will help you because they both can cause stalls in weight loss. Also, if you are trying to start exercising but find it boring I recommend you take a group exercise class such as power yoga, crossfit, or martial arts, granted you can afford a class a few times a week (I know crossfit is sometimes shunned on these forums because many may consider it a non-primal workout but in moderation I think it is great!). AND ONE LAST THING (I just realized this has become quite a paragraph). A lot of people start primal or paleo diets and eat all "the fat and calories" they want because calorie restriction is not really touted as part of the lifestyle. However, many people have found great successes in restricting calories while eating a primal diet. One such example is Paleobird who is a middle-aged woman like yourself. You can find her thread on her experience with calorie counting here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html. I hope I've given you some insight!!

To avoid confusion:

In the first post I said eat a good amount of healthy fats and in the second post I mentioned eating too much fat (mainly too many calories really) can hinder weight loss. There is a healthy medium that only you can find so that you can eat enough fat for your body to heal and still not be gorging yourself on fats.

Thank you, primalsun!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was a vegetarian for a long time, and during healthy eating and unhealthy eating phases was tired. About a week after ditching sugar and white flour, I felt so much better and a full month into primal I have much better energy. I wake up, and am ready to go. At night, I fall asleep easily. Throughout the day, my energy is very steady.

I have full on started to eat meat, 3x a day. I do not eat nuts, and minimal fruits and some dairy. Mainly its meat and veggies. My calorie count is 1000-1300 a day, with high energy/no fatigue. For reference, my healthy veg days were closer to 1500, and when I just ate whatever I was probably around 2200 to be satisfied.

For me, the meat satisfies in a way that soy protein never could. I guess it feels more rounded to have a steak and salad than tofu stirfry. Without the meat, I could just never be satisfied.

Good luck- there is a learning curve with cooking meat. If you have some ethical issues, find someone local to buy from. My source shows a good deal of love for her animals and while they may be killed for my plate, they live pretty well!