Thread: Type 2 Diabetic Blood Work back after 3 month primal... page

Motorhead is offline Member

Type 2 Diabetic Blood Work back after 3 month primal...

Primal Fuel
    Very happy with the results....

Fasting Glucose down 41% to 93
    A1C down 24% to 5.4
    Total Cholesterol steady
    HDL up 18% to 33
    Triglycerides down 35% to 211

As you can see from my notes in the attachment, I quite nicotine around April of 2011 and went primal beginning of October.

Can't wait for my Dr visit. She wanted me on a Statin and new Metformin/combo drug which had nasty side effects. I got both prescriptions filled but never took them. I am sure she will still flip about the LDL going up, but that's just due to the inverse relationship to Triglycerides in the calculation. I would assume I am moving towards more large fluffy type-A LDL particles? Also I was expecting my Triglycerides to be lower, are they high due to losing weight (about 35 pounds so far). I am 6'4" SW 380# CW #345
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just bumping since post being held for moderation ends up putting the darn thing on the 3rd page by the time it's published. SPAM sucks.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Congrats!
    Can I ask you about your eating habits?
    I'm trying to get my blood sugar back down and I'm all sorts of confuzzled.

Are you doing the "no dairy" thing?
    What times do you eat during the day?

Are you a high fat, or high protein eater?

Breakfast (6:00am) I have 3 eggs and protein... Bacon, Ham, Salmon, Sausage or Liver.

Lunch (noon) Some kind of chicken or meat from the night before and vegetables.

Dinner: (6:00pm) Chicken, pork, or beef and vegetable.

All meals are moderate amounts of protein, palm of my hand measurement, but breakfast tends to be a little more than the others. I do not snack throughout the day and will on occasion have an evening snack of smoked oysters and some cheese or nuts. I don't drink milk, use plenty of coconut oil and have a hand full of nuts a few times per week. I don't measure, but if I had to guess I am right down the middle between high fat/high protein.

My waking blood sugars are 80 - 100 depending on how much exercise I did the night before. I usually lift heavy things 3 times per week and walk 1 - 2 miles outside or on the tread mill once or twice a week. I should do more walking, but would rather lift weights that be bored walking. 2 hour postprandial glucose is always under 120.

JimN is offline Member
    I am curious if you asked your Dr. about the VAP cholesterol test to see if you do have the large fluffy LDL particles? I too am a type II diabetic and will be going in to get my labs done soon. The results you posted are similar to others I have heard of since going primal. My diet does include dairy and my HDL has always been low and my HDL/LDL ratio just OK. I would like my Dr. to order the VAP test along with my others to see if it will give a more complete picture of the readings. Unlike you, my fasting blood sugars have not come down as far as yours - I am only six weeks or so into this eating plan and according to my glucose meter, my fasting sugars are around 105 to 118 or so typically. Every once in a while, I get a 97 or 100 but not much lower. I would love to have 85 as my number, if for no other reason than it makes me feel like I got this diabetes whipped. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    I am curious if you asked your Dr. about the VAP cholesterol test to see if you do have the large fluffy LDL particles?
    Going into the Dr. on Monday and if she gives me any trouble with the LDL number, I will ask for the VAP test. I have always had low HDL and my father who was a chronic cardio guy for most of his life always had low HDL too. I chalk it up to genetics, but it does seem to be improving with exercise and weight loss.

Just got back from the Dr. She was very impressed with the blood work, and asked me multiple times what diet I was on. I told her, she wrote it down, and said she had some research to do this evening. Nice to see a Dr. willing to look into things when they see something working for a patient. If I can maintain my A1C in 3 months, I will be off the Metformin.

JimN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Just got back from the Dr. She was very impressed with the blood work, and asked me multiple times what diet I was on. I told her, she wrote it down, and said she had some research to do this evening. Nice to see a Dr. willing to look into things when they see something working for a patient. If I can maintain my A1C in 3 months, I will be off the Metformin.
    Good news. After a couple of weeks eating Primal, my blood sugars were so good, I quit taking my Metformin. I have been off of it for about 5 weeks now and highest BS has been 146 (1 hr after eating) and usually runs from 95 to 120. Good luck and hope your A1C lets you get off the meds.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Big congratz!