Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Kids Won't Eat page

handieman is offline Junior Member

My Kids Won't Eat

Primal Fuel
    Ok, it's a slight exaggeration that my kids won't eat. But since we've transitioned to primal eating, our kids are turning their noses up at primal food and opting to just go hungry. They're not in danger of malnutrition, but it's frustrating. We bought several primal/paleo cookbooks, even targeted towards kid-friendly foods. Every time I read a recipe where the author talks about how her kids gobble it up, I just want to tear the page out and burn it I'm so frustrated.

We slowly moved towards primal over this year by eliminating non-primal foods one by one... cereal, bread, cookies, chips, etc... and then about a month ago we threw out the rest of the bad stuff from our pantry and have nothing but good primal stuff around.

We've been pretty realistic about this I think, knowing that we'd need to try lots of different recipes/experiments, and have lots of different kinds of primal food on-hand so that nobody is feeling deprived. We don't have any restrictions when we go to grandma's and she has cookies, cereal, etc. When we have birthday parties, we still have cake. I don't think we're being too stringent or too relaxed about being primal.

Part of the problem is that unless they just absolutely love something, they will write it off and never try it again. And I feel like we're running out of options and not making much progress.

Their friends come over to our house and they eat what we have on hand, so that's encouraging.

So what is going on? Have we done something to make them so picky? Is it possibly hereditary (my wife is pretty picky and sensitive about smells/textures/etc). Do we just need to give it some time and hope their taste buds adjust?

--
    Ryan

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Feed them non primal foods.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    How old are they?
    Mine are 4 and 19 months, and had their fair share of crap food before we went primal.
    It took weeks before they really began to wanted to eat everything I was offering.
    You have to persist, and they will eat, giving them something else will make it harder. It helps when I give my 4 year old choices, and asking him to help me decide how to cook it.
    Some days they do refuse food, but I just keep offering and they eat eventually

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Feed them non primal foods.
    Is that a joke?

activia is offline Senior Member
    don't listen to him he is our resident troll.

I think you just have to encourage them to keep trying foods and they will develop a taste for it. You need to work on their mindset keep saying it over and over how good it is for them and how stron git will make them and how good they are being when they do it. Reward them for eating primally... I know it seems like they arent listening but they do..it just takes time and lots of repetition.

They are trying to get you to cave right now so that they can go back to eating crap.. It's a tactic kids use.. You can do it be strong!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Just keep offering and they'll come around. If they don't after a few more months,, go very severe and then slowly reintroduce foods. I PROMISE they will eat then.

Oh I forgot to mention.

Get them involved in cooking!! Kids like to eat stuff they make. Make fun shapes out of primal food too. Give them Primal Options! Do you want broccoli or spinach tonight? If they say neither then say...ok then I guess I'll pick.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I think kids see "diets" or "healthy" as negative connotations, and as a limit on flavor, enjoyment, etc. Just keep making primal foods. Don't force them into it, just simply don't offer them CW junk food. After a while of not eating their regular sugar-filled/artificial flavor foods, their tastebuds will grow an appreciation for regular food.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I think kids see "diets" or "healthy" as negative connotations, and as a limit on flavor, enjoyment, etc. Just keep making primal foods. Don't force them into it, just simply don't offer them CW junk food. After a while of not eating their regular sugar-filled/artificial flavor foods, their tastebuds will grow an appreciation for regular food.
    Not all kids think this way from my experience. Although I wouldnt mention diet per se... but would more go on how they feel and how they will grow. Most kids do care about growing to be strong/smart and be able to tackle the world. Why do you think kids like pop-eye and tony the tiger?

I do agree with the latter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast