Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petite women- calorie counting? page

Patchthebun is offline Member

Petite women- calorie counting?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and find that so many of these threads are terribly long and confusing.

I am just under 5' tall, 135lbs. I'm eating primally, with the exception of occasional raw dairy. I'm just wondering if I should be counting calories. Its hard to know how much to each- it seems easy to eat too much EVEN while eating primally because I think my calorie requirements are much lower than, say, a 6ft tall man (like my husband, who can lose 5lbs without any effort whatsoever). Losing even 5lbs is a huge challenge for me. Any other petite women out there with some advice for me?

Thanks

JayGee is offline Member
    I'm 5'1" and went from 126 to 112 eating primally and not counting calories at all. Occasionally, I'd mentally tally my calories for the day and they were usually around 1800-2000. Good luck!

activia is offline Senior Member
    I've had a tough time knocking off the last 15lbs and I'm petite (5' 1") as well. I have tried counting, VLC, carb refeeding... Good luck! Its not easy. I'm back at 129.

I don't know if this makes a huge difference, but this is the FIRST 15 lbs for me. I've been 158 before, but that was when I was 9months pregnant . I have settled back down around 128-135 after both my kids were born, it's just getting back down to 110-115 that is hard.

So I suppose I'm not coming from a background of being really overweight, just trying to figure out what my calorie requirements are.

Jaygee- what does a typical day of eating look like for you? Have you tried the leptin reset? I've been trying to get a lot of protein in the am

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I am 5' 1", and I maintain between 110 - 115 lbs, my highest has been about 129, and I would say I could stand to drop 5-6lbs right now (I am trying to not fret it since we are trying to get prego at the moment).

I used to plug my food into something like Fitday.com every once in awhile, both to see where my calories are coming in and where my fat/carbs fall. But since my activity levels seem to go up and down, counting calories doesn't always work for me. 1300 calories when I am crossfitting is not enough, but 1300 when I am doing nothing all week is usually too high.

Nowadays I can usually gauge if I am eating too many calories because my hunger cues are gone (as long as my carbs are under control....too many carbs and my hunger goes up no matter what I eat).

When I start eating just because its a 'meal time', not because I am hungry, I am taking in too many calories. A few days of not eating until I am truly hungry seems to get me back in line. I will skip breakfast or lunch when I am totally not hungry. I find when I am not super active that I tend to eat breakfast/lunch around 10 am, and then dinner around 6, and that's it for the day.

Thanks meadow! That's helpful. I find that I'm not always hungry for breakfast, but it helps to eat a big breakfast because i am less hungry at night. 1300 was my target when I ate carbs, and I usually kept the fat low so I could eat more carbs :-/

It's hard to keep the cals at 1300 and eat all the bacon that people here seem to advise :-P

activia is offline Senior Member
    the last time I lost weight was back in June and I was doing 2-24 hour fasts a week and skipped a meal keeping calories under 900 twice a week. I was starving all the time but I was losing weight at a whopping .5lb a week. I got down to 119 briefly. Then I stopped losing even with the same restrictions.. and went up to 122. Then I had my wedding/honeymoon and ate lots of food and local fare in Hawaii and went back up to 130. That was in August. I've been unable to get back down, even with 16-18 hour fasts a day. Tried VLC for 3 months and lean gains for 3 months. The next 3 months I'm going to do more extreme calorie cycling, and more daily exercise (fast walking) in addition to the carb refeeds. damn desk job.

Since I reached puberty I have not been below 119.

JayGee is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchthebun View Post
    Jaygee- what does a typical day of eating look like for you? Have you tried the leptin reset? I've been trying to get a lot of protein in the am
    I've never tried Leptin reset, but I do tend to front-load protein at breakfast. I usually have spinach sauteed in bacon fat, 2 eggs, and some shredded chicken for breakfast. Lunch is a big salad with lots of vegetables, some walnuts or pecans, tuna or chicken, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I also have a piece of fruit, either sliced into my salad or after as a "dessert". Mid afternoon I may have a handful of almonds or some berries. Dinner is a meat of some kind, a green vegetable and a starchy vegetable. I am not low carb, because I feel like dirt when my carbs go below 100 or so. I also think a lot of it is genetic. My dad is skinny, my brother is skinny, and I seem to have a decent metabolism even at age 43.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Patchthebun - How long have you been eating primally? I'm 5'5"-ish, but I have a very narrow frame, so I find that my normal weight is on the lower end of the range for my height. IMO, the most important thing for small women who may have lower calorie requirements is to eat only when you are hungry and only until you aren't hungry anymore. I have not counted any calories, but I've found it easy to drop pounds by sticking to that rule. Try skipping breakfast if you aren't hungry yet. Experiment and do what works for you!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast