Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF'ing too much? page

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Ok, so here are my questions:

1. Can you IF too much? Would 24 fasts every day, say dinner to dinner be bad. Should I alternate them with days where I eat twice or three times a day? I think I read something on here once about it not being beneficial to IF more than 4 days in a row or something...

2. I am definitely not getting an entire day's worth of calories in on IF days. I am eating a large high fat, high protein meal. Is this ok?

I guess I just need some reasurance that I'm not doing myself harm or "destroying my metabolism" (I think this is a CW myth, but wanted to check with the wise groks and grokettes!)

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

I just don't think you should go hungry for more than a day, doesn't sound good even on a psychological level. I have nothing to back this up, just saying.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this approach. What you are talking about is essentially the Warrior diet (one large meal at the end of the day). If it works for you, then do it! It's all about finding out what works for us as individuals.

Me, I almost never eat until around lunch time and then have a dinner after that. I've done much tinkering with IFing and this is what works best for me and my body. No repurcussions or ill effects here, and great energy levels.

I grok, therefore I am.

beckinwolf is offline Member

I'm still new to the PB, so excuse my ignorance if this doesn't make any sense, but would it still be "intermitent" fasting, if you do it every day? I thought the whole point was to do it every once in awhile, so that you shake things up now and then.

Carpe Diem!

gregandbeaker is offline Junior Member

I practiced ever other day fasting for about three weeks. I found myself at the end of that time in a pretty chronic and unhealthy level of caloric depravation. I just couldn't "make up the calories" on the eating days. About once or twice a week works out well for me now.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

That's actually a pretty good question.

If I'm not hungry in the morning until about lunch time, is it really considered fasting? Cuz really, I'm just not hungry.

when I want to shake things up I'll continue the 'fast' or 'break from eating' if you will, until dinner. Or I'll eat breakfast to shake things up. Shaking things up isn't all about caloric restrication IMO, it's about doing something your body doesn't expect you to do, in this case eating brekky is very unexpected after a week of no eating in the morning.

Sometimes I'll go ice climbing and climb all day in a fasted state. I will tell you, my doesn't wasn't expecting that!

IFing holds different meaning to anyone who practices it. My version is going to be different than someone elses.

I grok, therefore I am.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Lovestoclimb makes a good point about shaking things up. One's approach to IF should not be a mechanical one (ie. eating one large meal per day, or alternate-day fasting, or skipping the same meal every day, all in perpetuity) but an organic one that is informed both by how one's body is feeling and by an imaginative and natural sense of periods of feast and famine. After all, the body will adapt to one meal per day just as surely as it will adapt to three, or six.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

misathemeb is offline Member

i'm limiting myself to 1 24hr every other week and doing regular IFs of 12, 14, 16, or 18hrs a couple times on the weeks i'm not fasting for 24hrs

i won't do warrior diet because seriously last night i ended up eating 5-600cals for the day after a 24hr IF! i don't want to get to the point where i can't listen to hunger signals because they are so muted so i'm mixing it up. today will prob be a refeed day up to 1600-1800

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I do Warrior Diet type fasting. One meal a day. I found that I just wasn't getting hungry and could easily go 30+ hours without getting hungry. What I do to mix things up is to start eating three meals a day again for a few days. I'm actually about to make some eggs!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@ Primalchild, I definitely agree that IF shouldn't be set in stone or on a schedule, but I'm actually finding that I'm only wanting one meal, two at the most, like lovestoclimb. I'm just worried that I'm not getting enough to eat.

I'm going to try to make sure I have plenty of two meal days, and a couple one meal days in the week, to try to keep my calories up and my body working well.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast