Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: This year is all about my body and my health! page 19

anna-banana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks, Charlie! I'm excited about 2013.

On Saturday I went for a 5-mile hike with lots of steep inclines. It was great to be out in the forest with fresh air and nothing but the sounds of birds around me. Three days later now I can still feel my sore calf and shin muscles. I am excited to try a new trail this coming weekend. I used to only go hiking with friends, but last weekend I went alone for the first time. At first it was a little unsettling what with the unfamiliar sounds around me, but I soon realized how peaceful it became to be on my own. My head was totally cleared at the end of the 2-hour hike, no more thoughts about work or cleaning the house, etc. That felt great!

Food-wise I keep being on track with breakfast (usually 1-2 hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit) as well as with lunch (a big ass salad that I bring to work or a large chicken thai soup for take-out or some fresh sashimi from a nearby sushi market), but dinner is what oftentimes gets me to steer away from simple, primal foods. More often than not it's a mix of mainly primal items with a little bit of non-primal mixed in. This can certainly use some improvement.

I've started applying the paleo-primal concept to other parts of my life as well and have started removing many over processed, hormone-filled beauty items from my daily routine. I now use an organic shampoo without any parabens or chemicals and have started washing my face with coconut oil (best thing I've ever done for my skin!) followed by an organic facial lotion.

Mark's new book is striking a lot of chords with me and is reminding me that deep connections with our friends and our loved ones are so important. My fiance and I have stopped watching so much TV in the evenings and instead now sit at the kitchen table long after our dinner plates are empty and just talk. Or we have a 20-hour backgammon match in the living room while enjoying a glass of wine and some dark chocolate. I want to grow my friendships stronger this year and have the time I spend with friends be more meaningful.
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Well this last weekend wasn't very healthy what with lots of booze and pub food for the football games... Back on track though and eating primal. My fiance is getting more and more primal as I cook most of our meals and he's starting to realize that what you put in your body matters in the long run!

B: two hard boiled eggs, one kiwi, cup of green tea
    L: big salad - mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, turkey, boiled egg, feta cheese, mushrooms, olive oil & balsamic
    D: not sure yet. will see if my man will grill us up some meat and i'll make some veggies on the side

My goal this week is to hit the gym twice for a 30-minute strength training session and a long walk on Sunday. Saturday is shot since we are hosting our engagement party in the evening and I have lots to prepare during the day. I'm glad we are hosting it ourselves as I can make lots of yummy primal food!
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

The rain has started again in NorCal and so I was not able to step out for a lunch time walk today. I am trying to convince myself to go to the gym tonight, but a glass of wine sounds much better right now (it's been a long work day). Maybe I'll just do some squats and planks while dinner is in the oven and then I won't feel so bad about the vino...

B: one hard boiled egg, one kiwi, six large strawberries, green tea
    L: miso soup, salad with Japanese dressing, small filet of broiled mackerel, chicken teriyaki (way too sweet...blech!)
    D: roasting some butternut squash, carrots and chicken sausages in the oven right now. tossed them in olive oil and salt, pepper, dried sage, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. can't wait to eat!
    S: one latte and a couple of truffle chocolates (couldn't resist, but they were dark chocolate)

After an unhealthy Superbowl weekend in Vegas followed by more boozing and unhealthy choices (Valentine's dinner gorging anyone?), I decided yesterday morning that it was time to treat my body more respectful again.

Food yesterday
    B: 2-egg scramble with ham, onion, bell pepper, and a little cheese
    L: salmon sashimi, seaweed salad, tobiko
    D: chicory and beet salad with pine nuts and warm goat cheese; cup of tomato & red pepper soup; handful of raw sugar peas and cherry tomatoes
    Treat: glass of champagne and 4 pieces dark chocolate

Today I started the day with 3 scrambled eggs topped with goat cheese and some cherry tomatos. I went to the gym afterwards for a spinning class (lots of resistance climbs today and good all-out sprints) followed by 15 minutes of strength training (kettle balls, planks, sideways planks). For lunch I made myself a green juice (kale, celery, apple, lemon, ginger, cucumber) and also ate some blueberries and a few slices of prosciutto.

The sun is shining, so I think I'm gonna head out for a walk before I start some household chores this afternoon.

I'm becoming addicted to exercising again and am absolutely loving how sore my body is right now. It's nice to know that I am waking up my dormant muscles.

Exercise
    Last week I did a 30-minute intense strength training session (bosu ball, weights, kettle balls, TRX) on Monday night.

Tuesday morning I took a ViPR class (Vitality, Performance & Reconditioning for more energy, enhanced movement skills, & incredible strength. ViPR delivers a progressive & fun variety of real-life movement & whole body integration for maximum metabolic rate & increased caloric expenditure, resistance, endurance & strength.). The instructor had us lunging, crawling, and jumping across the gym floor mixed in with exercises lugging the ViPR tube around. Wow that was fun and tough!

Wednesday I gave my sore muscles a break. Thursday I had a TRX Suspension training session with a personal trainer. He also incorporated kettle balls and short bursts of all-out cardio (on the rowing machine), making me wobble out of the gym after those 60 minutes.

Friday I took another rest day. Saturday I went on the Arc trainer for 30 minutes followed by a 10-minute stretch session.

Sunday I went on the Arc trainer again for 30 minutes and then did some weight lifting.

Food
    For breakfast today it was 2 hard boiled eggs and 1/2 clam shell of blueberries; green tea
    Big salad for lunch: mixed greens, turkey, egg, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, snow peas, artichoke hearts, feta cheese
    Dinner: Planning on making chicken drumsticks wrapped in bacon and some veggies on the side.

RowdyTike43 is offline Member
    Awesome spread!!
    I am Paleo-man and bacon is my utility belt! To the steak-mobile!!!

RowdyT

Thanks, Rowdy!

Well, today marks day 1 of a boozeless month and to be honest, I'm actually really excited about it. After spending last week in las Vegas for a work conference and consuming copious amounts of alcohol each evening with clients, prospects, and co-workers, I am so ready to detox my body. So no alcohol, no sugar, zero processed foods, and lots of workouts these coming 4 weeks. Then it's my birthday and I will treat myself to some champagne or wine (or both...).

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with ham, tomato, and feta cheese
    Lunch: mixed greens topped with marinated steak, tomato, cucumber, red onion, olives balsamic vinegar & olive oil
    Dinner: going to make a spaghetti squash and top it with sliced spicy chicken sausages in a tomato garlic sauce

I have a personal training session tonight with a guy called Don, who will be my trainer for a session every two weeks. He's a master at TRX and is going to turn me into a muscle beast just in time for summer ;-) Just kidding, but it is time for me to get stronger and turn some more fat into muscle. Those bikinis are waiting!

Yesterday was day 2 and I woke up after a sweat-free night and slept through the whole night. Just one day of cutting out a bunch of toxic stuff and I can see improvements in my life. I also was not tired all day yesterday.

03/13 Food:
    B: 2 boiled eggs, cup of blueberries
    L: home-made salad (mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, artichoke hearts, radishes, turkey, feta, boiled egg, balsamic vinegar)
    D: New York bone-in steak, heirloom tomatoes topped with mozarella and drizzled with olive oil
    S: handful of almonds, small piece of 80% dark chocolate

I went to the gym after dinner and did 30 minutes on the elliptical (program: random hills) followed by 30 minutes of arm workout. Feeling good!

Feeling great at the moment. 4th day without alcohol, processed food, and sugar.

03/14 Food:
    B: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 banana
    L: home-made salad (mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, radishes, red bell pepper, turkey, feta, boiled egg, balsamic vinegar)
    D: Baked chicken breast kiev
    S: handful of raw almonds, 2 pieces of dark chocolate

I went to the gym after work yesterday for a "Stacked!" class, which uses sandbags and weights and incorporates lots of squatting, jumping around, and active recovery periods (jumping jacks, ice skaters, etc.). That class was awesome and I could feel all my muscles by the end of it. Will try to make it to this weekly.

03/15 Food:
    B: Grilled New York steak and scrambled eggs
    L: Was so full from breakfast that I only had a few raw almonds and a latte
    D: Jalapeno slaw with creamy dressing; seaweed salad; 1/2 halibut filet over cauliflower puree with crimini mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, and "pomegranate caviar"; fresh green juice (kale, lemon, apple, celery)
    S: small apple, 2 pieces of dark chocolate, a few salted roasted almonds

Today is my rest day from working out.

03/16 Food
    B: Scrambled eggs with red bell pepper and ham, coconut water
    L: home-made salad (mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, radishes, red bell pepper, turkey, feta, boiled egg, balsamic vinegar, olive oil)
    D: Grilled carne asada and asparagus grilled in olive oil, garlic, and topped with feta cheese
    S: 10 jumbo shrimp; handful of mixed berries; few almonds; 1 piece dark chocolate; baked brie

I was going to work out after dinner and arrived to a dark gym...I didn't know my new gym closes at 8pm on a Saturday - boo

03/17 Food
    B: Scrambled eggs with turkey & feta
    L: Lamb & beef shawarma served with a side of baba ghanoush, hummus, 2 falafel balls, mixed salad; sage tea
    D: Mark's pork chops with creamy turmeric sauce over cauliflower puree
    S: few pieces of dark chocolate

I did a 5-mile (2-hour) hike with a lot of elevation this morning with a friend. After lunch I went to the gym and did 45 minutes of TRX and kettle-ball exercises and then relaxed my muscles in the steam room for a while. Feeling great after day 6 of no alcohol, processed foods, and sugar.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819