Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting the New Year Primal... page

mroberts03 is offline Junior Member

Starting the New Year Primal...

Shop Now
    I stumbled upon the Primal Blueprint a few weeks back searching for a “diet” for my father to “try”. He is diabetic and has high everything. After clicking around on marksdailyapple, the information not only made sense for my father, but also for me, as well. I bought the book and devoured it!

While I was reading the book, I was loosely followed the primal ways (because I was still learning), but now I feel I have the lifestyle dialed in: prepping foods the night before for breakfast and lunch, making homemade jerky, following salmon recipes, slowing down/doing less work outs, etc. In the past, I would eat meal replacement bars and shakes, workout like crazy, and complain that I would never have a six pack…talk about spinning your wheels!?!? I have seen more dramatic results in my midsection in the past few weeks, than I have over the past few years following Conventional Wisdom!!!

But back to my father…he is one of the most stubborn humans on earth. Not to mention he mistakes marketing as truth and tells you you’re insane if you believe that someone can/would lie to you to sell you something!!! I am going to do my best to convert him to the primal ways…I’m sure I’ll be back here for support and hopefully with good news about both of our progress…Thank you in advance.

--Mike

PS I am not real big on New Year's Resolutions...just so happened I finished the book around New Year's and thought it would be a jumping off point!!!!

catmagic is offline Junior Member
    Good luck to you both.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Remember that the best diet for any person is the healthiest one they will stick with. Don't get hung up on converting your father to exactly the Primal Blueprint. Being a stubborn old coot myself, I consume dairy, potatoes, corn, beans and other non-primal stuff. And I am doing very well. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

SJean is offline Member
    Hi -- I started on Jan. 1 as well. I think there are quite a few of us who started on 1/1/12 -- I was thinking of starting a thread just for us but saw yours (plus I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread). So today is Day 4 -- my sugar cravings which were really out of control from Halloween on have gone. Yippeeeeeeeee. Looking fwd to losing 10 # and it would be nice to lose it from my midsection rather than my face!

SJean is offline Member
    Hi Mike (if you ever find your way back to this thread - I've had trouble figuring all this navigation out) and anyone else viewing....It's Jan. 6 and thus 6th day of eating Primal for those of us who started on New Year's Day. I don't know if it's placebo or not but I'll take it --- my toe arthritis is clearing up! For the first time in 3 yrs I'm able to stand on my tippy toes with no pain and I have hardly any pain moving my toes around.

Did have dark chocolate melted on frozen bananna last night - rationalized it was primal but I'm sure to a purist it's not. Feel overall excellent. My sig. other is also doing this and that helps a lot as he appreciates the cooking I've been doing (unlike my kids!) and he weighed himself today and his weight is dropping (he doesn't have much to lose)....I'm not going to get into the scale thing, just go by how my clothes feel. I am committed to avoid diet mentality!

SJean is offline Member
    Ok - looks like this is turning into my conversation with myself - i.e. my primal journal. (But if anyone is reading this - please feel free to comment - esp. if you've also started on Jan. 1 -- I'd love to have this be a communal thread).

Today marks the end of week one. Feel good though today I was so relaxed (a Sunday) I was sleepy. Walked the dogs awhile...did household chores --couldn't get myself to go cycling (too cold) -- but went to late afternoon yoga class with my fav. instructor (Laura) and I'm so glad I did. Really perked me up. Ron (sig. other) made a delicious slow cooked pot roast (recipe in Primal Blueprint cookbook) - so I feel full from an excellent nutritious meal...and also aware I do have that sweets yearning - not so much a craving as a mental habit that this is the time (evening) when I used to get into granola, frozen fruit, yogurt, chocolate.... I did have dark chocolate earlier in the day - delicious..

Clothes not noticeably loosening...I am going to contradict my post above and get on the scale first thing tmw a.m.

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    You're not alone SJean! Thanks for sharing your experiences so far, it's great to see your progress.

My wife and I started on the 2nd... Monday! We received a fabulous gift for Christmas from some amazingly intelligent people - the Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Body Transformation!

Yeah we bought it for ourselves.

Over the Holidays we read the book, scoured the website, and discussed it with family and friends who were visiting. My parents and my younger brother and his wife all bought the book and decided to start the same time as us - unfortunately they live a State over so we can't have Primal parties!

My wife is an amazing cook, so it has felt like a week of amazing decadence! As she says, "I feel like I'm cooking Sunday dinner every day!" (She says that's a good thing!) I am wanting to GAIN some more muscle but I've lost some weight this week! I guess I'll have to build back after getting to a better BF%.

I'm excited to see how this turns out for my family. My mom and dad are sticking with it but say they are having a hard time with so much meat My brother is being a putz and cheating whenever he feels like it but my sister-in-law is already down over 6 pounds last I heard and loving it.

My kids are hilarious, they bring home snacks and candy from school (Side Note: Can you believe how much JUNK teachers and parents hand out every day at school??) to find out if it is appropriate to eat or not (usually it isn't but we let them make the choice for themselves whether or not they want to eat any).

Overall things are great. I miss sugar (one of my great weaknesses) but not as bad as I thought I would. Harder for me is establishing an earlier bedtime away from the computer!

SJean is offline Member
    Oh happy day! Someone else on this thread- thanks for your post, WarlordBlade. How wonderful that your nuclear and extended family is on-board. I know where the weight you lost went --- over to me. Send me your addrss and I'll package it up nicely (with added bonus of 10 more!) and send it on back to you!I was just reading up on carbs and seeing that even though I've refrained from flour and sugar, my eating so much fruit (I love frozen banannas as well as dried fruit and all kinds of fresh fruit) has probably contributed to gaining a half a lb. Also too many handsful of nuts. OK and perhaps too liberal with the dark chocolate....Dealing with carb withdrawal has meant I've not had the oomph to focus on depriving myself of other things or limiting portions.

The post I read just said to keep carbs on this primal journey to 50-100 gms for 'easy weight loss'. So, today I've already eaten the max.....i have a meeting after work so will just skip dinner and see how that goes. Went to 90 min yoga class before work and also walked/ran the dogs (in the dark - with my headlamp). OK back to work - a nice break to check in here. I'm a psychologist in private practice...

I ordered the 21 day book yesterday - look forward to reading and implementing it. One step at a time

Hi! I also started (well restarted) for the New Year. My DH is also doing this with me. We have 4 kids and they aren't 100% primal, but I am slowly removing the worst offenders. The juice and candy are the hardest since they were so available before. We're working on it. Our 2 youngest are too young to understand why we're saying no candy, so lots of tantrums. Hopefully once they are more primal the moods will improve.

I had a really hard first week with the carb flu - same for DH. This week is going good so far though.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey! *waves* I'm warlordblade's wife.
    SJean- I totally feel you on the fruit/ too much carbs thing. I LOVE fruit - it is my go to snack and breakfast normally (fruit and veg smoothies... yummm), so it's been a stretch to stay within the 50-100. It takes conscious effort! I also love my dark chocolate and have to limit myself to little bits at the end of the day.
    I have been surprised at how little I've craved sugar and bread- especially since I make killer artisan bread! My energy levels are pretty consistently high, despite being woken by 1 or more of our 4 littles at some time during each night's sleep. I've been kinda crappy at keeping up with workouts- though heaven knows kids and everyday life keep me running around and lifting heavy things!
    One week primal took a good 4-5 pounds off me, so I'm excited to see what happens as we wind our way to spring and summer! I think those will be much easier primal seasons (more abundant local fresh produce, sunshine and fresh air... can you smell it?).
    So far so good though. I think we are also going to try for more fish in our diets as well... which is tough when you live in a landlocked state and you're on a tight budget!)
    Luck and health to everyone!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast