Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Writing on the Cave Wall - Cave Woman's Journal page

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member

Writing on the Cave Wall - Cave Woman's Journal

Primal Fuel
    So it begins. My first forum post, the other day in the 'before and after pics' thread, was that I took 'before' pictures but wouldn't post them until I had some good 'after' ones. Then yesterday Mark announced the new 2012 accountability challenge “Success Stories in the Making“ and I decided to join in. My private, very disgusting 'before' photos will be public. Yikes!

So here I am:
    5'2" tall
    54 years old
    Starting weight 140 lbs
    Goal: Get the fat out! Stick with the Primal Blueprint, making it my way of life and find the primal body encased in this lard suit. Finally give up my sugar junkie status.

My story:
    I grew up a lean and active beach kid, but started gaining weight in college. I went from 105 to 124. Not giant, but more than I wanted. Over the years my love of sugar has kept me from having the body I want. I've always exercised (but not chronic cardio since my aerobics classes in the 80s). I hike, kayak, snowshoe, and mix in yoga and Ttapp. But it is not enough to keep me trim.

I've always eaten real food, lots of meat and veggies. I was never was part of the low fat cult. I love my butter, the fat on the steak, real cream. My dietary nemesis is sugar. Sure bread is great, but sweet is where it's at! I stayed in the 120s in my 20s, in the 130s in my 30s, and started creeping above 140 in my 40s.

Along the way I dabbled in a few diets. When I say "dabbled", I mean only a few weeks here and there. I never got away from sugar's sweet sticky clutches. Atkins worked amazingly well, 10 pounds off in 10 days, but was no fun and too darned hard. I did learn that I am very sensitive to wheat, though I continued to eat it, I certainly cut down on it.

Next, I became very interested in the Blood type Diet. Many people I know benefit greatly from it. As an O negative blood type, I should not have much in the way of carbs, but all of the "avoids" and rules of the blood type diet made this diet hard to work with. And frustrating. But I continued to reduce my wheat intake and found that my life-long, crippling anxiety attacks disappeared. What an amazing benefit! After 40 years of out-of the-blue random attacks of existential terror, they just went away! So I did my best to keep my wheat intake on the low side. A couple of slices of bread a day at most or some occasional pizza. But the extra pounds remained. So did the sugar.

Last summer I had a hair mineral analysis done, not because I had any health problems, but just because at 54 and post-menopausal, I was feeling kind of blah. The results told me nothing new, but reinforced what I already had figured out - take ample vitamin D3 with K2, thyroid and adrenal supplements, cut out grains and sugars (ie: eat low glycemic). And that my metabolism is sluggish. For a month I ate no sugars or grains, lost 10 pounds, and felt great. But I was on the road for several weeks over the summer and gradually fell off the wagon. Not hard, but off nonetheless. The weight stayed off until Thanksgiving when my bingefest left me carrying most of those lost pounds.

This last December I was guided to MDA by someone at the Ttapp forums. I love the humor, the fun approach to diet and lifestyle. I like Mark's take on exercise, and had actually been doing some of all the things he recommends. The real keys for me seems to be 1) consistency and 2) eating enough fat. I love the emphasis on coconut! I had added that to my diet this summer and am thrilled with the coconut recipe book! I cut out the grains and sugars on December 26th (except for a corn muffin and a bit of chilli on New Years Eve). I've read the success stories and am ready to be one.

Thanks for the opportunity for accountability.
    Last edited by Cave Woman; 01-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like this won't be too difficult for you - except for the sweets, your lifestyle is pretty perfect. Good luck!
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

I hope not, alg2435! I have a wonderful lifestyle, indeed, but some terrible habits. Thank so much for being my first visitor to comment!

Lifting Heavy Things:
    40 wall push ups with feet 3 feet from the wall
    50 pole squats (accompanied by heavy breathing)
    6 2-legged chair-assist pull ups
    20 elevated jack knife presses
    Hand feet plank: 70 seconds, 30 seconds each side *whew!*

Now off to lunch/breakfast of my wonderful lamb curry - spicy and with lots of veggies and coconut, topped with crumbled peanuts and coconut. Yum!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I want to lose weight too, but the biggest incentive is how much lower my anxiety is when I eat this way. I'm O negative too! Did that book say anything specific about O negatives? I picked it up once at the bookstore to check it out. I wasn't an overall fan of it, but it looks like he may have tripped on some truths. I've got adrenal problems too, but unfortunately at a much younger age. The caffeine is totally out and right now I'm trying to get a more consistent sleep schedule + cut out all unnecessary stress.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Sounds like you're on the right track, Lex! The Blood Type book talks in depth about all of the blood types, and the newer books talk more about those few of us who are RH negative. There is even more on his website. Overall, RH negatives are prone to higher rates of disease and have a greater sensitivity to diet. We have greater food restrictions on the BT diet as well. :-( Anxiety isn't mentioned in the books (as I recall), though I posted about it on their forums once and Dr. D'Amato replied to my post saying that often the psychological results of eating right are stronger and more significant than the physical ones.

It seems to me that eating Primally and exercising according to the Primal laws of exercise are very much in line with what an O neg. needs according to the blood type diet. If along the way you find that you are overly sensitive to some foods, particularly dairy, cut them out.

Overall, I like the simplicity and sense of fun that Mark puts forward in the Primal Blueprint and I'm sticking with it. I hope to see you around here as we progress on this journey!

Checking my signature
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

And again
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

A new avatar - a saber toothed lion! Grrrr!
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A small square of dark chocolate from Trader Joe's and a short (2 mile) walk with the dog in the woods. Some hills, not enough snow to snowshoe in this strange and warm year, but I hear that's coming later this week. They keep saying that, but it keeps not happening, or else it snows and quickly melts. Strange behavior.

Prime rib tonight or pork chops? Got both in the fridge. Either way, I'm having a big ol' salad and a glass of red wine with it.

Have a lovely evening.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast