Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Writing on the Cave Wall - Cave Woman's Journal page 4

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Coffee, dear Coffee, why are things never simple when you are around? You, I now see, are the reason I could never diet, that I had to have, I mean HAD TO HAVE something, anything, sweet right NOW. Gimme the chocolate and no one gets hurt - that's me when you are in my life. Even decaffeinated, your power has been too great for me. I long for you, for the warm richness of our mornings together, but you bring me nothing but trouble. So I gave you up. True, we do meet for the occasional tryst. Once or twice a month is wonderful, but more than that and you have me grinding my teeth, craving forbidden carbs, and snapping at unsuspecting passers by.

Coffee, dear coffee, I may have found a way that we can be together more frequently. I am not yet certain, but this PB living is stabilizing my blood sugar so much that we may be able to share time more together. We have had a few mornings together. Twice, two cups - too much for me. But one cup of you, laced with cream, your rich warm decaffeinated essence surrounding me and slipping, sipping down my throat on a perfect morning - that is heaven. I truly hope that we can continue to meet each morning, or perhaps every other morning. Coffee, dear Coffee, I love you. But you can no longer be in charge. I will say when we meet, and for how long. Only then can we be together.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Woman View Post
    Winter has been a long time coming. It rained last night. Rain!!! in January! There is no snow in the yard, and the trail we walk is either mud or ice. The ice is pocked and irregular, and though we wear our cleats for traction, it is a lot of work for our feet and those little muscles in the lower legs. I have been getting small cramps in those odd little muscles lately and am so glad for magnesium oil. It's a supersaturated solution of magnesium citrate and water. It feels oily, thus the name 'oil'. We all need more magnesium than we get through our diet. It is a muscle relaxant, helping to regulate heart rhythm and keep your muscles running smoothly. You don't absorb a great deal of magnesium through your digestive system. Take too much and it relaxes your peristaltic muscles enough to give you diarrhea without really absorbing enough to help those overworked leg muscles. The best way to get magnesium into your system is transdermally. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) baths are wonderful for this, but magnesium oil is great as well, and a bit more convenient. I mix it half and half with water in a spray bottle and spray it on my sore muscles. Your body will absorb all it needs in about 20 minutes, and then you can rinse it off. (Leave it on and you will feel sticky all day) Be careful with this stuff! If you blithely spray it on full strength it will BURN like hell! I think that is because your body is grabbing those magnesium ions so quickly and pulling them through your skin so fast that it hurts - maybe the citrate ions burn a bit, too. I have read that if you use the half strength spray daily for a month or so you will have enough magnesium in your system that it won't grab onto the ions so quickly if you move to full strength spray. Anyway, at our house magnesium oil has become a new ritual. It is lovely to rub on tired feet in the evening. Soooo relaxing before bedtime.
    Hi Cave Woman, love your updates. You sound, or at least the say you describe your life sounds, so... I dunno, idyllic! Maybe it's just cause I miss walking in the woods with dogs, and snow and ice, and having a studio... I can't complain at having sun all the time, but along with that goes jungle and heat, sweat and mosquitoes! A strange foreign culture, pollution, concrete. Sometimes I just want to walk in the woods, walk up a mountain, be somewhere by the sea where the air is fresh and clear and clean... maybe that will be my last step in fully going primal. Going home.

Anyway, I don't have a bathtub, so can't take epsom salt baths. Another thing I miss. But I was wondering how you made your magnesium oil. I literally yesterday received some magnesium citrate powder that I ordered through the post. I haven't taken it yet, but am curious to see if I can make the oil you mentioned out of it.

I'm also 5' 2" and the same SW/CW.

Love the journal. Keep the updates coming.

Living&LovingPB is offline Junior Member
    Hey Cave Women,
    I have to say I love the quote you have on your posts! I, too have been left for dead when I've fallen off of the dietary wagons! I literally learned about PB a few days ago through Jimmy Moore's low carb site. I got Mark's book and can't put it down! Looking forward to reading more on these forums.
    Have a good night,
    -P

Hi Thaijinx!

I love your name. There must be a story behind it. I'm glad you enjoy my posts. I have fun writing them. I wish I felt the same about my business blog.

There seems to be a few of us shorties on MDA with about the same weight. I am having fun following their journeys.

I do have a pretty idyllic life, but some time on the beaches in Thailand sound pretty great, too!

You can make magnesium oil by putting your magnesium citrate powder in a bottle (I use a spray bottle) about half way to the top. Fill with water and shake. It should dissolve. This may be too strong for you at first - you may want to make it half as strong. If too strong it will itch and burn (not dangerous, but uncomfortable) If just right it will tingle and maybe itch a bit. Remember to wash it off after 20 minutes or so or you will be sticky!

Magnesium citrate is easy to find. I ordered mine from SwansonVitamins.com. It is used in making tofu and called nigari, so you can find it at Asian markets and some health food stores.

Gotta remember to rub my legs and feet with it tonight.

Do you have a journal here?
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Hi Living&LovingPB!

Welcome to MDA! I am honored to be your first post.
    That quote is from Ottercat's journal. She has lots of interesting and amusing things to say. Take a look around - there are lots of great folks here to share your journey.

Cheers!
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Lifting Heavy Things is going well. After my initial assessment a couple of weeks ago, I have progressed on a few things.

- I went from 40 wall push-ups to 30 bent knee pushups. Difficult, but do-able with some breaks.

- 2 leg chair assist pull ups: I make them as difficult as possible and can do 10. as with most women, this is my most difficult. In Jr. High school I could do more than the other girls, but that was long, long ago.

- 50 pole squats are not too hard and I will be moving up in a week or so to bench squat.

- 20 elevated jack knife presses, I keep using lower and lower surfaces. In a few weeks I should be doing regular jack knife presses

- I was doing hand knee planks and found that my wrists were the limiting factor. I work with my hands and try to protect my wrists. I have no real problems with them, but they are not up to too much support activity. Too much and my hands go numb for several days and it's difficult to work. Hereditary thing. So I've moved up to forearm/knee planks and will skip hand/feet when the time comes and go straight to forearm/feet.

Now I need to start doing sprints. Today I will do my Hoe-down (from Ttapp) sprints, or interval training. I'll do them once every 7 to 10 days.

My lower legs keep cramping from walking icy trails with cleats. So uneven! I can't wait until we get real snow for snowshoeing! But the dogs still need walking.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Great breakfast today! Sauteed some chopped Swiss chard for a few minutes, then made a nest shape in the pan with it, plopped in some butter, then two eggs. Added a few tablespoons of water, put a lid on it and let it steam, poaching the eggs. Yummy with some locally made sausage links!
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Well, I think I'm still a delicate flower where caffeine is concerned. Dammit!!! One decaf three days in a row, none for 2 days and I am still grinding my teeth and not sleeping well. 20 years of drinking coffee with no noticeable ill effects, 10 years of drinking it with worsening effects, and now, able to drink decaf once a week or less. Sigh...
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Woman View Post
    You can make magnesium oil by putting your magnesium citrate powder in a bottle (I use a spray bottle) about half way to the top. Fill with water and shake. It should dissolve. This may be too strong for you at first - you may want to make it half as strong. If too strong it will itch and burn (not dangerous, but uncomfortable) If just right it will tingle and maybe itch a bit. Remember to wash it off after 20 minutes or so or you will be sticky!
    Thanks CaveWoman, I will try and make some... and do you take magnesium too? Or just use the oil? I had a teaspoonful yesterday, and it didn't seem at all bad to taste. I'm guessing you use oil instead/as well as because magnesium is difficult to absorb when taken orally?

Do you have a journal here?
    No, I don't but I keep one at home, the old fashioned way, with a pen and notebook! Other than when I made a shopping list it's probably the one of the only times I still pick up a pen! he he The modern age, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    Thanks CaveWoman, I will try and make some... and do you take magnesium too? Or just use the oil? I had a teaspoonful yesterday, and it didn't seem at all bad to taste. I'm guessing you use oil instead/as well as because magnesium is difficult to absorb when taken orally?
    I take what magnesium is in my multimineral, about 1000 mg. I seem to need both.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast