Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Writing on the Cave Wall - Cave Woman's Journal page 3

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sounds like you're doing great! I used to be a milk-chocolate girl, too. The Ghiradelli chips were the best thing I'd ever tasted, but now they're too sweet. Yikes! What happened?
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    "When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~uuelanaeq41

Uuelanaeq41 posted this yesterday on Ottercat's journal. I loved it and right away I lived it.

My peckishness continued yesterday after breakfast and through LHT. As I worked away on my computer I found myself sticking sliver after sliver of dark chocolate into my mouth. I knew this wasn't good, but I didn't go eat more real food.

Never got around to lunch, but in the afternoon I went into town to do some errands and went to see a friend I hadn't been able to get together with over the holidays. We went out for a glass of wine, red of course. More friends came by, someone bought another round and pretty soon it was dinner time. Yikes! Tummy growling, I wandered to the grill in the back of the bar to see if they had anything I could eat. Luckily, the special of the day was grilled shrimp and a salad. A welcome surprise! Not that this was a dive bar, but most of the things they serve are sandwiches, nachos, or deep fried treats. My shrimp came to save me, but I unthinkingly used the cocktail sauce (do you know how much corn syrup is in that stuff?!!!!) and ate the few croutons that came on my salad. Oops! I finished off with a pinch of the roll that came with my meal.

On the way home I picked up a pint of Julie's organic chocolate ice cream. Bad Cave Woman! But I really enjoyed the two scoops I had.

Tonight I am going to a party, and I will have red wine, but I will be much more dietarily prepared. Planning and a bit of discipline, that's what I need to work on.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

anna-banana is offline Senior Member
    I think it happens to all of us. My intended one glass of red wine on Friday night with a girlfriend turned into 4 glasses and a cheese and meat plate (at least it was high fat salamis and well aged cheeses and I didn't touch the bread; had some yummy olives, too, so that was another good fat).

When I treat myself to dark chocolate at home, I break off 1-2 pieces and then stow the rest behind other more approved primal snacks such as baggies of nuts and jerky. That way I have to get up again and go to the kitchen if I want more chocolate and might just be smart enough to grab a handful of nuts or a few pieces of jerky instead. For me it's all about keeping better primal options around.

Went for a nice 1-hour walk this morning with my boyfriend and the California sun was beaming onto our faces - I sure feel thankful to live in a place with so much sunshine!

Have a good Sunday, cave woman, and don't let the one not to primal day deter you, just make up for it the next day :-)
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Hi Anna!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't feel to bad about it - just human nature. I love that people in this forum have such a "pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again" attitude about falling off the wagon. I did just fine at last night's party. There was lots of tasty food that I could have and I had the two glasses of wine that I had planned on. It was a lovely time and I didn't really have to think about it what I was eating. No food hang-over today.

Very clever food placement on your part. Perhaps I should take a clue from you and take the chocolate out of my desk drawers.

Just going for a walk and feeling like it is enough exercise and not just a cop-out is so freeing! I used to feel that my walks were more for the dog and the social time, but not "real" exercise for a fit and active person. I wasn't doing chronic cardio, but I still had that mindset. It's so all-pervasive in our society. And I live with a carb-addicted beanpole whose idea of exercise is climbing a mountain and skiing down - everyday all day, from sunrise to after sunset. I used to try to keep up with him. Who knew he'd still be doing it 30 years later??!

Keep up the good work and thanks for checking in.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

So I mentioned the party last night. I was prepared, had eaten well and primally all day, and made a wonderful feta and artichoke dip with tons of veggies for dipping. I brought my nice red wine, and since this group of friends are all such foodies I knew there would be plenty for me to eat. I know, I know, the feta is not entirely primal, but I have a big Costco container of it and this was a yummy opportunity to work my way through it. We can only use so much crumbled on salads. At least I didn't make spanikopita! Those would have been too much for me to resist!

One of the hunters brought some incredible venison meatballs. Lots of veggies, some great guacamole, chicken dishes. I'm sure there were a few grains tucked in here and there but don't forget 80-20. I don't want to get too extreme, not at a party. I even had dessert - a friend made goat cheese stuffed dates with almonds. Yum!

People were even talking about paleo diets at the party. I felt so cutting edge!

Today I went to put on my ski pants for our walk in the woods. You know, the tightly woven wool, slightly stretchy ones first made popular in the - well, I'm not sure when. Long time ago. Maybe the 50s. Anyway, this pair is bright bubblegum pink and I bought them at the second hand store about 20 years ago. They were really a bit too big, but I couldn't resist the color, and for $2, the price. Mostly I wore the smaller blue pair. The last 5 (or is it 10?) years or more the blue pair has languished in the bottom of the drawer while I wear the pink ones. More recently I have barely been able to close them on the largest setting. They close with those flat hooks, and there is a row of 4 of them. Thankfully. Well today I pulled them on and latched the hooks, kind of amazed that I didn't have to suck in my gut just to get them closed on the last hook, as I did the last time I wore them. That was right around Christmas, just over 2 weeks ago. They did seem so go on awfully easily. I looked down and realized that I had fastened them on the first hook!!! My waist is two inches smaller in just two weeks of eating primally! Wow! I could get used to this!

Ill be trying on some more clothes tonight to check out this phenomenon.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Uuelanaeq41 is apparently a troll and Ottercat originally said the quote I'm using in my signature. Just thought you should know.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cave Woman View Post
    I even had dessert - a friend made goat cheese stuffed dates with almonds. Yum!
    ooh, I haven't had those in a long time...

Congrats on the "first hook"!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Congrats on the "first hook"!!
    Thank you! I'm now wearing some jeans that haven't fit in a while. I'm definitely liking this journey.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

I definitely need to do some more meal planning. We are usually so last minute in our meals, though we always eat real food. I need to look through the recipes, print out the shopping list and get to work supplying the house with a variety of interesting food options. A handful of nuts or some leftover bacon are not going to always do it for me. I did have celery sticks spread with cottage cheese and almond butter today (not together). It's nice, but kinda dull if done every day. Gotta mix it up a bit.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

I went shopping and got some more supplies to have around. I'm perusing recipes and feel I'm on the right track there.

Winter has been a long time coming. It rained last night. Rain!!! in January! There is no snow in the yard, and the trail we walk is either mud or ice. The ice is pocked and irregular, and though we wear our cleats for traction, it is a lot of work for our feet and those little muscles in the lower legs. I have been getting small cramps in those odd little muscles lately and am so glad for magnesium oil. It's a supersaturated solution of magnesium citrate and water. It feels oily, thus the name 'oil'. We all need more magnesium than we get through our diet. It is a muscle relaxant, helping to regulate heart rhythm and keep your muscles running smoothly. You don't absorb a great deal of magnesium through your digestive system. Take too much and it relaxes your peristaltic muscles enough to give you diarrhea without really absorbing enough to help those overworked leg muscles. The best way to get magnesium into your system is transdermally. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) baths are wonderful for this, but magnesium oil is great as well, and a bit more convenient. I mix it half and half with water in a spray bottle and spray it on my sore muscles. Your body will absorb all it needs in about 20 minutes, and then you can rinse it off. (Leave it on and you will feel sticky all day) Be careful with this stuff! If you blithely spray it on full strength it will BURN like hell! I think that is because your body is grabbing those magnesium ions so quickly and pulling them through your skin so fast that it hurts - maybe the citrate ions burn a bit, too. I have read that if you use the half strength spray daily for a month or so you will have enough magnesium in your system that it won't grab onto the ions so quickly if you move to full strength spray. Anyway, at our house magnesium oil has become a new ritual. It is lovely to rub on tired feet in the evening. Soooo relaxing before bedtime.
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast