Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coming off the P90x...need exercise help page

nitsy is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

i am very new to the primal lifestyle i think i am only about 70% primal in diet thou! My question is what exercises would you reccomend for a person who has come off the p90x... i enjoyed it initially and then i felt i was actually loosing a lot of strength with the system.

Thou dont let me deter anyone away from this as it is very good for some one who wants to spend about hour to hour and a half doing this stuff. I am still gonna use the yoga and core synergistics out of it as they are both amazing and also plyometrics everynow and again

I have gone away from the subject! I want to start a routine that takes up about 30mins roughly where i get a totaly body work out, maybe 3 to 4 times a week

Any suggestions for woukouts? routines? where it is kind of structured? I dont want to join a gym in the past they have just got me unmotivated so want to be able to do these at home! I only have dumbells, mat and a pull up bar at home!

Very grateful for any help

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the cave nitsy,

How new to working out/lifting are you?

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

You've got all the tools you need. I would take the most high impact excersises that you learned from p90x and make a routine...

You are also going to need to progress in the bodyweight movements, like pistols/single leg squats, one arm pushup, one arm pullup, handstand press, etc.

rosstraining.com book helped me with those progressions... never gymless and inifinate intensity

jpickett1968 Guest

Nitsy -

I'd recommend getting a kettlebell and incorporating some bodyweight routines. A KB routine normally includes a set number of circuits and typically last 30 minutes or so. Sandy Sommers has a good blog at Charm City Kettlebells that you can use. Just google it and he will post a routine each day on average. Keep doing the pushups and pullups. There is a 100 pushups program I'm currently in the midst of that sets good goals and keeps you going. Takes 5-10 minutes and then can be used in combination with other bodyweight exercises that you found on the P90X discs.

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions thus far guys

@adventure8410 - i have done a bit of lifting with the p90x but alot of p90x work can be isolated which i found difficult but the non isolated stuff was pretty ok at!

@arthurb999 - i got hold of a book called viking warrior which shows suggestions on improve all the exercises you mentioned. I am working on improving on chins and pull ups at the mo... my upper body strength is fairly weak

@jpickett1968 - i've looked into kettelbells stuff, unfortunately where i live, no one seems to be around to teach proper technique, I dont want to do it without proper form, it looks really good thou... also checked out the pushup program - do you do it everyday or mon/wed/fri kind of thing? also do you add any other stuff to that cos i think will definetly give that a shot

Fellas also i found a card game of bodyweight workouts whilst at work (positive procrastination)... if you're interested heres the link

http://truthaboutabs.com/files/unprotected/card_game_workouts.xls

how do you guys usually train on the day to day, weekly basis? this would interest me alot to see roughly what i should be aiming for coming from p90x which is quite structured i feel a bit clueless with the unstructured week i've had so far.. let me add i didnt finish the program did it twice but with breaks both times due to unforseen circumstances started some time august last year... just to put in context i stopped because i started reading about the grok stuff as well as the general feeling of loosing strength with most of the lifting exercises... i think it was bit too much

I take it then you are kinda new to the whole weight lifting world then?

Mark has some good suggestions for starting up and building a solid foundation of strength.

I actually just started posting my workouts to my blog.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

lol yes i am buddy yes i am ... never really done any heavy lifting just looked at your blog... bacon explosin looks freaking great might try that in the weekend

by the way this is probably wrong asking on this forumn... but is it worth buying marks book? is there a lot more info in there other than the excellent blogs he writes here?

It was pretty tasty, not the easiest thing to make in the microwave though.

As for the book, I don't actually own a copy (poor college kid), but through personal experience a lot of the stuff he posts on here seems great on its own. However if I had the money I would buy the book to get the full experience and support Mark, because I think his info IS worth money....I just don't have money.

My blog

John R Guest

Mark's book is worth having. You can probably find most of the info here, but the book lays it all out in a way that's easier to follow (or put another way, harder to mess up, not that this is a super-complicated plan).

fiddlestix Guest

I know you said you didn't want to join a gym... but I would suggest checking to see if you have a CrossFit affiliate located near you.

It is not like a normal gym... all your workouts are with other people and you learn lots of stuff including proper weightlifting technique and how to work with kettlebells.

most of the workouts are short but they are real butt kickers- if you are ready to step the intensity up a bit from p90x i'd definitly give it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast