Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: An ongoing experiment in a primal family... page 4

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have your mom google nightshades and arthritis. Nightshades are tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant (also tobacco if she smokes). Removing these from my diet made all the difference w/ my arthritis. I used to take over the max dose of ibuprofen and need narcotics to sleep and still spend most of my day curled in a ball on the couch waiting to feel better. Now I take nothing!!! I felt better w/in days - a week. Some people take longer to feel a difference. I tell everyone I can as this news and the change I experienced was one of the biggest gifts I have ever received. The doctors told me that diet would not help me and handed me more narcotics. It's been almost 2 years now and I actually bought a ski pass this year - this and they told me I needed knee replacements 3 years ago. Been primal for a year and have lost >100lbs. I lost the first 40 when I cut nightshades. Maybe I was moving more (OK, I definitely was - I was feeling better and could), but I think there was more than that going on.

Glad you're feeling better - vicoden makes me really sick also :P

Team Oberg is offline Senior Member
    Thanks a lot for the information!!! I will definitely pass this on.
    *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
    Marilyn Monroe

Yesterday I got back to a normal eating schedule a bit. A big salad with cucmber, avocado, shredded turkey, and home made sun dried tomato dressing for lunc, and chicken drumsticks with mixed veggies for dinner. Feeling much better today
    Marilyn Monroe

Ok, time to write up the rest of my day. I have increased my intake of fermented dairy, since I am on anti-biotics I thought it would be helpful to make some kefir smoothies that are just equal parts kefir and berries with a bit of mint. I have also been drinking quite a bit of cucumber infused water today, which is basically just water and cucumbers that have been allwed to soak overnight.

I had to tackle quite a bit of intense house cleaning today, since my hubby doesnt know that 4 days with no sweeping or vacuming gives all the shedded pet hair time to accumulate in the corners. So between my day of intermittent cleaning (too long and i still get dizzy and get headaches) and a light cardio session I feel satisfied with my physical activity today all things considered.

Dinner tonight is seared ahi, salad, and steamed carrots. I am thinking about making enchiladas with cabbage leaves to roll everything up in, we have a bunch of ground turkey meat in the freezer we got at costco, and I am not really a fan of meatloaf, meatballs, or pretty much anything along those lines.

The thing about the ground turkey, is I am not a fan of red meat. I know it is pretty much a sin on paleo, but I got really really sick when I was a kid with e coli from red meat, and havent eaten is since. While I plan on working it back into my diet, after well over a decade of not eating any red meat I have completely lost the taste for it.
    Marilyn Monroe

Ok, just finished working out...feeling great today, even treated myself to a nice cup of coffee this morning. Since I do not drink it daily, I am a bit of a coffee snob, regular ol' dunking donuts coffe simply wont do so I drink coffee bean and tea leaf, which also has the added benefit of being a sustainable fair-trade company.

Dinner tonight is going to be a creamy chicken bake with coconut milk, not quite sure exactly what I am going to do, I will figure it out while I am cooking. Also, since D forgot to bring his lunch today I will eat the leftover ahi for lunch over a salad.

Also, I am not sure if this has anything to do with being primal, but it seems important to me after undertaking this new human lifestyle. We are new to the area and got our first neighborhood comittee newsletter. I plan on joining and regularly attending meetings to build a sense of community in our household. While we have already had quite a few of our neighbors over multiple times, I think this would be fun and give us something communal to do with our monday evenings.

Have a great day everyone!
    Marilyn Monroe

I got my results from my physical, they are as follows

Total cholesterol - 178 (less than 200 is good)
    HDL (good cholesterol) 57 (higher than 50 is good)
    LDL (bad cholestol) 107 (below 130 is good)
    Triglycerides - 70 (below 150 is good)
    My complete blood count was normal
    liver function tests are normal
    diabetes "sugar test" was 90 (normal is <99)

Kidney function is normal (important because I have had bad kidneys since I was a kid) Those results are:
    Creatinine 1.02 (normal is less than 1.20)
    GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is greater than 60 which is normal. GFR is the best way to check kidney function, so it is a relief to know that I am a specimen of perfect health!!!

Another point to Paleo column, 0 points to SAD
    Marilyn Monroe

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Excellent! Congrats on the great test results!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks!

Another experiment in the kitchen tonight! I went to the market and found a great handmade aged cheese that uses raw milk. Some fresh made chorizo at the butchers, and decided to make enchiladas, but instead of tortillas I will be using cabbage leaves to wrap everything up.

I did some yoga this morning and walking this afternoon, so I all done with my workout for the day. Well, I guess that's it.
    Marilyn Monroe

As we know, those with the XX chromosome have a natural craving for all cacao based products, I made something similar to my moms old peanut butter balls...they came out pretty good, my hubby even ate four! So here is the recipie more or less, I did not measure everything:

1 cup almond butter
    1.5 cups dried coconut...I kept adding more to get the desired consistiency, I wanted them to roll up nicely
    1/2 stick butter

Cream these ingredients together
    roll into balls
    place on a cookie sheet on waxed paper and freeze

Next we prepare the chocolate coating
    melt 3 tbs of coconut oil with 1 tbs of honey.
    Add unsweetened cocoa powder (basically until it looks like melted chocolate) and mix well.

Next dip the balls in the chocolate coating and freeze for at least 10 min....these are addictive, youve been warned!!!
    Marilyn Monroe

I feel like I need a fast day, so nothing is on my plate until dinner tonight. We are going out for Korean food with some friends. In fact I am giving my whole body a rest today, no workout other than a few hours of vigorous cleaning since when we go out with other couples they typically end up here....and I know why, a very well stocked wine fridge (I rarely drink but I always buy wine so its always full). Well, its more like a wine cabinet since our puppy chewed up the cord, but he's cute so I forgave him!
    Last edited by Team Oberg; 01-20-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast