Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: An ongoing experiment in a primal family... page 13

Team Oberg is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So, I got the world's most wonderful job. I work at a flowershop and get to be around wonderful people and beautiful plants all day. I am still on the higher carb end of the spectrum but it is much easier to wean myself down again, they are all "ok" carbs from fruit but I truly feel a sugar addiction creeping back up on me, oh my god I had forgotten how truly vicious cravings are!!!

Anyways, I thought I would get back to posting normal stuff so for lunch I had some salmon and avocado and a wild berry-banana-whipped cream parfait...ok so I know I need to get back off the dairy but I bought this big thing of cream when I went to the store STARVING, so I figured I would eat it up, also I no longer have an electric mixer because it broke so I have to make it the old fashioned was with a whisk and some muscle...but it is soo effing worth it! For breakfast I had sausages and more fruit, isk what I am doing for dinner but it will be lots of veggies. Seriously, this is how I always start to diet again after I fall off the wagon, I eat as much as I want of approved foods until I get rid of my cravings then I cut back. Seriously people, I dont like eating this much but whatever it will get me back on the fat loss fast track.

I look "fine" as is, and I use that as a bit of an excuse from time to time, but whatver, I am still not where I want to be. It makes me wonder if I will ever be happy with how I look? Perhaps I don't need to change my body, but my mindset
    *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
    Marilyn Monroe

so here is what is funny, i always type up journal entries and forget to hit publish. I just press enter and they dont get logged....I do not see beauties like "sweet potato en elk chili" up here Whatever I am retarded.

We are getting rid of the fat loss mindset and doing a whole 30 right now...I have to stop obsessing about losing weight and counting carbs and calories, its not good for me. i am also not measuring or weighing myself anymore either.

Anyways, I am doing a little fast today to kick of my whole 30, even though we officially started yesterday, burger salads and sweet taters for dinner. I know lots of people just eat bunless burgers, but we pile our on little beds of greens, this time it was arugula, then top with onion and tomato.

See, again I was like a squirrel and got distracted very quickly and forgot to finish my post. Jeez.

anywho...we are having salmon with arugula pesto for dinner.

Also, I tried to make coconut butter without a food processor....epic fail
    Marilyn Monroe

Carrot fries are freaking awesome!!! I have seen recipies floating around the internet but havent tried one until now. Here is what I did that makes mine special from the rest(because I am effing special damnit!)

Cut your carrots into fry-like sticks
    toss in melted coconut oil
    add:
    a sprinkle of pink salt
    lots of curry powder
    roast at 400 for 20ish minutes tossing once halfway, use a parchment lined baking sheet, and you will be in carrot fry heaven
    oh em geeee the sweet gingery curry with the sweetness of the carrot and the touch of salt is heaven. I went back to trader joes today to buy 3 more pounds of carrots. I also found a really neat crossfit gym right by trader joes. Still to freaking expendive for me, seriously 200 bucks a month....for what:?!?!?!?!?!?!?! The equipment isnt even expensive!!!! For what a 1 year membership to a crossfit gym costs I could go on rouge fitness and buy a whole set of crossfit equipment for my house. Seriously, lame

Next, I keep coming home ravenous after work, I need to plan something out that does not involve eating a few handfuls of almonds and more than a few servings of fruit. I am not complaining or anything because I seem to keep going back to the same freaking problems so I dont have the right to complain. I have identified the problems, accepted them, now I just need to put on my big girl panties and deal with them. I like shit that tastes sweet and I eat too much of it. Its that freaking simple and I still cant stop. I am doing a whole 30 and I still havent stopped. I am still eating plenty of veggeis and protein too, so as long as I am not missing any nutrition in my diet I think we are ok.

I am also making chicken curry for dinner tonight with sweet taters in it.

Last have you heard what is going on in europe right now??? FREAKING INSANE!! Wait, of course you havent heard because our news wants to waste too much time bitching about gay marriage. Seriously, I am not going to get political but the media in this country spends way too much time avoiding the real issues for scandalous garbage.

Anyways time to cook dinner!
    Marilyn Monroe

Fasting....I love fasting, I kept making excuses for myself about why I cant fast anymore because I am on my feet all day at work plus the 3+ miles I walk every day to get to/from work. Whatever, now I have time off and I celebrated with a 20 hour fast to start...and afterwards I ate a TON....total freaking failure. Today we are going to try again, but this one is the over-nighter. I find that I really need fasting to keep my appetite in check, so hopefully the next 2 days will snap me back into shape. Also, I am going to re-read all of my paleo books because I feel like they will recharge my batteries. At first I had so much steam when it came to eating primal, now I seem to be losing it and giving in to delicious sugar. Like most people on a diet, after a while they start with one little slip up...like "oh I am skinny enough, how bad can one (read 7) little (the size of my face) cookie be? Yeah...I know, but it had coconut, chocolate chips, crasins, and pecans....also it was Bill Clintons favorite cookie....based on that I MUST try it right? Haha!!! Excuses are over, I ate really well last night, and after my fast hopefully some of those cravings will go away.

I finally get why most of the population is overweight. I have the BEST intentions when I leave for work in the morning, I bring a VERY large lunch, usually raw carrots, leftover meat and veggies, a peice of fruit, sometimes a protein shake. Since at first I thought the cheating was because of hunger, I thought this might help...but it isnt hunger, its weakness. Yep, pure sissy-fied weakness. My co-workers frequently bring in cupcakes, cookies, brownies, chocolate, and piles of junk food and I can only say no so much. After saying no 10 times will power gets weak and on the 11th I say yes....feel guilty, then eat more....super healthy train of thought right??

While I am whining like a little girl, what is the deal with kale chips? I always effing burn mine. They are coming along fine, and I check them and toss them frequently so everything is all even-like, and then BAM! Theyre burnt. Last night they were burnt AND undercooked....from now on I am sauteeing(pretty sure I spelled that wrong) my kale in broccoli like a normal person...at least until I get a dehydrator.

I made mahi mahi seared in coconut oil last night with a salad on the side...was supposed to have kale chips but I am pretty sure my oven hates me.

Also we get our cow this weekend! and the CSA starts in less than 2 weeks! I am headed to a farmers market here in a couple hours too, I suppose that means I have to take a shower today.....can I make an excuse that not showering anymore is "more primal?" I dont think my husband would fall for it.
    Marilyn Monroe

Oh my what a haul for the day!!! I went to trader joes and the farmers market, here is what I brought home

3 lbs carrots
    6 kiwi
    a bunch of enormous spring onions
    a big container of yogurt
    cheese
    goat cheese
    3 bell peppers
    loads of kale
    rainbow chard
    4 red tomatos
    one green tomato
    asparagus
    eggs
    3 protein bars....so sue me they are only primal-ish, theyre nice to have around for when I get a "i need something chocolate right now" feeling

my total price for the organic, pastured, grass fed bounty??? $53.30! I thought this way of living was going to be super expensive, and it really isnt once you learn how to be a smart little shopper. Now, I just have to forget about all of that food until tomorrow afternoon sometime.
    Last edited by Team Oberg; 05-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe

ok, so I didnt make it overnight....but I am doing another 24 hour fast today to help out. I ate way too much again last night, I was telling myself that a light meal would be fine before bes, bacon, eggs, and loads of veggies in a big scramble...yeah I know its breakfast food but its what I got at the market so I had breakfast at 730pm. Dont judge. This is what I put in it- 2 strips bacon, clove of garlic, onion, orange pepper, kale, and 4 eggs with tumeric and pepper, then I topped it with green onion and chopped tomato. Jealous yet? Here is the problem though, it sisnt stop there, over all I think I ended up consuming well over 1800 calories...not the worst, but still clearly binge eating to consume that much in an hour. Why am I sabatoging myself? I do this every time I get what I want! Somebody needs to see a shrink!

Anyways, enough with the crazy jibba-jabba. I need to think about dinner....chili is looking like a good idea at the moment! Nothing better than sweet tater chili...seriously if you havent tried chopping those little orange heaps of deliciousness up and using them in place of beans in chili, you do not know what youre missing!! Do it! NOW!

Also, I have some tomatos in the tetra-paks, so it will be nice to have some ta-maters for a base...hold the BPA please. Plus, I am making my lovely rainbow chard on the side...D needs to eat his greens.

I am starting to lose the weight I gained while on the "oh what is one cookie going to do" train, I still have a little bloating which will hopefully subside by saturday...I mean it is going to be 90 degrees all weekend and I do NOT want to be the one in her fat girl pants!
    Marilyn Monroe

okey dokey...rant time....what the hell is up with america? Seriously, I am watching weight of the nation and this obese little girl's parents say "i just want her to love herself and be comfortable in her skin" which of course is what every parent wants, but letting her be comfortable being obese is wrong. She is sick, not just different. Congrats your 8 year old is on the fast track to diabetes, heart disease, stroke, hypertension, and athlerosclerosis....but at least she loves herself!! wtf

Ok...enough epic meanness....sorry I am a fat hater! Not really, I don't hate fat people, because I know that most of them really dont know better and they trust in the government agencies we believe are trying to help us, but I do harbor a bit of resentment for people that keep making excuses for themselves. I am certainly not innocent or trying to rationalize bad behaviors either, but I am just disgusted by how messed up this country is. Makes me not want to have kids because we are leaving them such a fu@ked up world.

Ok....now that I got all that negativity out of the way, lets talk about my favorite thing...food...I'm a hypocrite I know! I made a delicious meatloaf this week, and chili, and burgers, and tonight there is some salmon waiting to be cooked. In my future there is going to be lots more ground beef once my cow comes. I was supposed to get it last weekend but maurice the butcher broke a blade on his saw, so here I am still waiting. I did get a chicken from my farmer that is in the fridge waiting to be marinated tonight

We are also starting a fiscal fast, where we try not to spend any money for a month, between the CSA and the cow we really shouldnt need to, and beyond that we are not spending either to help us evaluate our spending habits and discern what is important and what isnt. A good thing to think about before adding to our family.

Also, 3 more hours til my fast is over, and there are some carrots in the fridge with my name on em!!! I havent been fasting like I used to, and have suffered a few failed attemps, this little 24 hour will get be back on track I hope.
    Marilyn Monroe

We had the most amazing picnic yesterday, we are members at a national park not too far from us and we packed up a cooler, went hiking/fishing then had a perfect lunch...almost. See, I got everything that D, myself, and the dog could possibly ever need, except the steak. I forgot to pack the beautiful grass-fed T-bone steaks from our cow we picked up just the day before. Oops!!! We ran to a nearby store and managed to find a brand of chorizo we know that has no funky stuff in it.

So for dinner tonight we are having steak with kale and sweet taters...might as well, it is already thawed

I ate some raw carrots with leftover chicken and purple cauliflower for lunch, was ravenous when I came home so I ate yogurt and eggs. I had to use the eggs up since we are getting more with our first CSA share tomorrow! hooray. Between the cow and the CSA (and maybe my failed organic garden), we wont have to buy much food this summer.

Also i did a pole dancing workout class on saturday. It rocked, 'nuff said.
    Marilyn Monroe

Oh my gosh...meatballs....thats all I have to say. I made the BEST meatballs on the planet...yeah I know youre thinking "oh not like my old italian grandmothers...blah blah blah" Nope...best...ever.

So here is the sauce-

a box to tomatos (you can use a can, but we are avoiding BPA, get tetra-pak tomaters at whole foods)
    handful of sundried tomatos in onlive oil
    garlic
    basil
    pepper
    more olive oil
    blender...you dont eat the blender, you use it to puree everything, leave half of the tomatos out for chunkyness. Then I added some finely chopped kale and lambs quarters to the sauce because the only way my hubby will eat greens is if theyre hiding. I also added garlic scapes and green onion because I got them in my csa bag. Super delicious, I was actually eating the rest of the sauce with a spoon, it tasted very light and fresh, good for the start of summer.

Tonight I am re-making chocolate awesomeness to bring to work tomorrow because we celebrate birthdays, and there will be chocolate cake. I will avoid eating the cake by bring chocolate to work. My diabetic boss and my overweight co worker who is on weight watchers will probably both love it because it will be sugar free.

One stick of butter.
    one cup almond butter.
    one cup coconut.
    6 tablespoons cocoa powder.
    1/3 cup (plus more to desired texture) of slivered almonds.
    stevia or honey to taste.

melt the butter and mix all the ingredients together, plop them down on some waxed paper lined cookie sheets...thats it.

Also I plan on making some trail mix bars for D and I. There has been a lack of snacks lately and we are both hungry all the time.

I am making a big stir fry tonight with my CSA broccoli and baby bok-choi. Nothing too exciting there, have ginger, garlic, jalapenos, honey, aminos, and sesame seeds and oil, so I can whip up something fabulous.

I also have a genius idea for stuffed peppers, mexican stuffed pepppers. taco seasoned meat, jalapenos, avocado, salsa, stuffed in peppers, I like the idea better than the old italian style, since we really like southwest flavors. I see endless posibilities, thai stuffed peppers anyone? Theyre also great because I can just throw them in the crock pot.

Lastly I forgot carrots, I eat a TON of carrots and it is literally the ONLY thing at trader joes it didnt buy. Ok, I am exaggerating, but seriously, how could I forget the carrots?
    Marilyn Monroe

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Your chocolate awesomeness is like this oatmeal no-bake cookie my mom used to make. Coconut and almonds are the perfect substitute! I've always had trouble getting it all just right though because sometimes they harden nicely and sometimes they stay gooey.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast