Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: An ongoing experiment in a primal family... page 12

Team Oberg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Finally...back to my normal routine, for a few hours. The 4 day weekend is over and I finally have time to clean the house, but I also have family coming to visit today, so there goes my peace and quiet. I will have the house back to myself friday, in time for another weekend. Weekend= extra time for my husband to make messes. Anyways, the gym yesterday and the fast today are helping to absolve me of my guilt from the weekend. Fasting is kind of like church...no matter what bad things I do or diet sins I commit, I always feel better about it after I worship at the house of IF. After another 5 hours all sins will be forgiven. Hallelujah!

Also, we are ordering chicken for dinner tonight, since we are having a little cookout tomorrow night I thought it would be nice to relax a bit tonight. After all this craziness I plan on getting back on my all fish diet. I got salmon, mahi, and mackerel in my freezer, but I would rather not explain to my mother why I am preparing a different dinner for myself since she always criticizes my eating habits. Also, I thought I would add that the nut avoidance seems to be working for me. My tummy doesnt act up as much, and I am sure that it makes it much easier to be around me...fortunately I was able to blame it on the dog most of the time.

Also, my phone broke and i might take it outside and smash it with a hammer out of frustration. Just sayin...it really does help. I did the same thing with a DVD player once, then someone asked me if I tried cleaning the lens...yeah...not my brightest moment
    *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
    Marilyn Monroe

wooo I was a bitch yesterday huh? Trust me, you didn't even get the brunt of it. Anyways, I stress ate again, but this time it was just an apple, yogurt and blueberries, seaweed, and lunch meat. Not too brutal, no weight gain so I am good. My seaweed chips are tasting a bit too salty for me lately, but i still eat them.

Today we are going to old town for lunch, after I drag my sisters overweight ass to the gym where hopefully she will lift weights. She lost a lot of weight but she is the epitome of everything wrong with the SAD. Thrives off carbs and processed junk, only runs, and has tons of belly fat. Also, she is only 22, I dont want to be a bitch...but then again she is a bitch so its only fair, but I was hot at 22, she only looks good with creatively concealing clothing and tons of makeup. Sad, she has potential, but nobody in my family will listen to me, so fuck em I guess.

Also, I see a sweet potato salad in my future...yep, sweet taters + cumin is the best combo ever
    Marilyn Monroe

I wish you could see me giddy with excitement right now, I have my house to myself, its going to be 80 degrees on sunday, my plants came in the mail, and I got a new gym shirt. It says, "dear math, grow up and solve your own problems" The pink pac man one with the sweat and blood stains needs to be put to sleep, or "sent to live on a farm upstate."

Next, I am going to up my deadlift on monday...200lbs here I come. This trainer at the gym said he would help me out on his lunch break. 15 more lbs to go and I am at 200 so I know we can get there....see another excited squeal right there.

Next, it is time to talk about food. I had seaweed chips, and apple, leftover sweet taters, two peices of turkey, fish, grilled zucchini, big tossed salad, and yogurt and wild blueberries...man I love those little suckers. I am making D beef and broccoli stir fry tonight, but I have just started a little fast so I wont be partaking. The article Mark wrote about fasting today inspired me, time for another fast. I noticed I have been slacking off in the fasting department, what starts out as 24 hours turns into 20-ish, and while flexibility is what I love most about fasting, sticking to my commitments is just as important. Lucklily D has overnight work again in a week or two, so I can do a 36+ hour fast.

Next, if any of you girls are thinking about buying those little nail "tattoo" stickers that are supposed to take the place of chemical-laden nail polish, I just gave my first set a try, so far I have not mastered them, lots of little creases in mine, luckily I have 2 more sets to try. Expect to be forced to hear my opinions on those little bitches.
    Marilyn Monroe

Nail polish stickers suck, they didn't even make it through one sink of dishes. I suppose they would work for a night out, but theyre really not practical.

I am making salmon for dinner with the rest of the potato salad, wild blueberries and yogurt, and some other veggies, also I might run some sprints today, might not though...it is what it is.

More of my plants came in the mail yesterday, so I will be outside planting for most of the day, I cant wait until I have my own veggies so I don't have to get up at the ass crack of dawn to go to the farmers market. Seriously...5am farmers? It's saturday, can't you sleep in a couple extra hours? Jeez.

The good side of that is I will be getting farm fresh eggs and ground beef. Seriously best...burgers....ever.

Also, I have been reading the book "Why Zebras Dont Get Ulcers" and I love it so far. It is about the direct stress-disease connection. I am only a couple chapters in but I highly reccommend it. We have been doing family reading time in the evenings instead of watching tv, and this is by far one of my favorite science-y books. It is funny and entertaining.
    Marilyn Monroe

Figs are my mortal enemy, especially when I wrap them in proscuitto. Seriously...kryptonite. I ate like a ba-zillion of them this weekend (its a real number...I checked!) luckily for me I am lifting today and sprinting tomorrow, well lucky for me bad for my legs. My legs hate my guts right now I have been hitting them from multiple angles and they just ache. I am also going to take a nice rest after today from the heavy lifting... until saturday of course. I feel like I need a freaking break.

I got some of my seedlings planted yesterday, pretty excited about my future garden.

Tonight I will be eating salmon, kale, and purple asparagus with butter, but until then I am fasting. I think my weekend binges should be just classified as "refeeds" since when you are fasting and dieting you can't keep progressing if calories are constantly low. As long as I eat healthy food I think it may actually be beneficial. I also get to do a long fast this week because D is working over-night again. I wont see him for about half of the week so that means I get to do a little fasting to push my body even further into ketosis. Also, we found a place that does all you can eat blue crab (and they have kimchi...go figure) which is going to be our next date-night destination. I mean, how often do you get to smash your food with a hammer before eating it?

Also, my little monster is 9 months old today, he got a section of cow bone to gnaw on as a little treat. He got a hose bath outside yesterday and was not very happy with us. Seriously, I have the wussiest rottweiler on the planet.

well, I am off to burn off some excess glycogen, damn you figs.
    Marilyn Monroe

Deadlifted 225 x 2 today, not bad. 50 more pounds to go until I am 2x bodyweight. Just had to stop in and gloat a bit because I am damn proud of myself
    Marilyn Monroe

Seriously people, I have gotten there...woke up today and took my awesome-est of measurements and looked at my abs and realized I finally look the way I want to for summer. Whew...it was crunch time too, that is just the motivation I need to not slip up on my diet (I hope)

Today is going to be recipie day, I wish I had a catchy name for it but I dont...so sue me, I got this apple-almond protein recipie off some blog somewhere that I am going to try, but will probably tweak since I like big bold flavors so I will double spices probably

2 cups almond meal
    5 scoops vanilla protein powder
    4 whole eggs
    1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
    1/2stick butter
    1 TBSP cinnamon
    1 tsp all spice
    1 tsp cloves
    Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in microwave (~30 seconds on low heat). Throughly mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Spray muffin tin with non stick cooking spray or use cup cake liners. Pour mix into muffin tins, make sure not to over fill (~3/4 full); this should make 12 muffins (2 muffin trays). Place one tray in the oven and cook for 12 minutes. Make sure not to overcook as the muffins will become very dry. Once cooked remove from the oven and cook the second muffin tray.

Next is freaking taco night, or something, idk but I have a recipie for tortillas that I want to try:
    •1 tablespoon coconut flour
    •1/16 teaspoon baking powder
    •2 egg whites (or, 3 tablespoons egg whites)
    •2 tablespoons water or coconut milk*
    •coconut oil/butter

Mix the coconut flour and baking powder with the water (or milk) and egg whites. Whisk or blend until all lumps disappear (I usually mix, then wait a couple of minutes and mix again).

Pour all the batter on a heated pan greased with coconut oil or butter (grease well). Pour batter in center of pan. Tilt the pan around to spread the batter into a large circle, almost covering the entire bottom of the pan.

Be very careful with this part: wait until the edges are brown on the side of the tortilla, or carefully circle spatula around the bottom of tortilla until safe to flip. Once safe, flip the tortilla and cook for about 30 seconds on the other side.

I will let you know how both turn out....lastly, I am thinking of revisiting sweet potato brownies, but using avocado this time instead to help them be moist...i know....its just too much for one person to comprehend, less carbs and more gooey deliciousness...my tastebuds will never be the same

Lastly my daily menu...all goodies aside. I am having mackerel and derek is having chicken(hmm enchiladas or fajitas maybe?), exciting I know but I am still on a freaking diet, talking about all the good food I will cook when I am desperately craving is just my sick form of entertainment.
    Last edited by Team Oberg; 04-18-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    Marilyn Monroe

Indiana Oberg and the Cheesecake of Doom Part III: Enter the Casein

Yep....you heard me....success! While it isn't quite the cheesecakey perfection that you get from cream cheese, you can make a panna-cotta like creamy dessert that is a good substitute with just 2 ingredients casein and hot water. I have heard of this method for making pudding, and often do so with the help of greek yogurt for creamy-goodness, I have found that neglecting that bowl of pudding in the fridge for a few hours turns it into a wonderful dessert. 24 grams of protein and 4 grams of carbies, I may never eat another food again. Thank you casein, turns out I was just using the wrong protein all along.

Next, I changed yesterday's menu and D had cinnamon-chili fried pork chops dredged in coconut flour for crispiness, that is because the chicken skewers I wanted to make him needed to marinate for 8+ hours before cooking. I saw a yogurt marinated chicken on the cooking channel and decided I was going to do my own version for the man of the house and I am having a yogurt topped greek salmon that I suppose you can have my secret recipie for:

Ingredients:
    Salmon (how ever much you want for eating)
    Yogurt, I buy it at costco anyways, also cant give you an exact measure, but whatever
    Dill
    squeeze of lemon juice
    minced garlic (if you do not have a garlic zoom yet you need one)
    Green Garlic Zoom - Bed Bath & Beyond

Then think about your toppings, I use grape tomatos, red onion, kalmata olives and whatever other random stuff I find in the fridge

Now the hard part, mix it all together and top the salmon then bake at 425 til it looks done. The method can vary, if you want to make parchment packets for each peice I always have luck with those keeping everything moist, or just cover your dish. Also, to help thicken the yogurt you can put a strainer lined with coffee filters over a bowl to let a lot of the liquid strain out of the yogurt. Thats all up to you. Plus there's curry powder, not greek but I put it in everything so good chance I will use it tonight.

Next, after I took the pup for his walk yesterday I discovered a MASSIVE freaking infestation of winged termites!!!!!! there were legit thousands of these little fuckers in my dining room. Needless to say I did not sleep well last night because I kept feeling like I had bugs crawling all over me. Exterminator is coming today, ugh what a nightmare!

Last, I start a fast tomorrow so I will probably be rounding out my salmon meal with a cucumber salad, and an omlette filled with dubliner cheese, avocado, kale, onion, and jalapeno is also in my future...plus more cheesecake...duh!
    Marilyn Monroe

hmmmm grocery store + fasting = bad news. I bought peanut butter. Yeah, I know not smart, especially for the girl who eats nut butters by the jar. I went on my way home from the gym when I was already ravenous and I saw organic peanut butter with only one ingredient calling me so I bought not one, but two jars. Genuis!

On a good note, I am still fasted, I need to get in a long fast while D is gone. I made muffins last night, those apple protein ones but I had a home made applesauce malfunction(seriously you don't even want to know) so I used banana puree instead and added blueberries and walnuts. They were approx 10 carbs and 15g protein per muffin so not so bad but I got all stressed out and ate too many and now I am not in ketosis. Major suckage.

I got a bunch of gelatin at the store too for mixing into protein shakes (hmmmm protein panna cotta anyone?) because it is supposed to be awesome for your skin. And making desserts...i have been craving something gelatinous lately...strange...but oh well could be worse i s'pose.

also at the store there were bricks of kerrygold cheese for 5.99 and the butter for 3.99 which is cheap for around here so I grabbed some but didnt think about the fact that I walked there in 80 degree heat until i left the store [insert facepalm]

since I have 2 days of husband-less peace I am trying to figure out a fasting schedule that works with lifting on saturday, 2 24 hour fasts seems appropriate i suppose, I am really trying to whittle away at those last few bodyfat percentage points. Abs are visible but a bit blurry still. Also, going to minimize carb intake during this time to help my body burn up some fat
    Marilyn Monroe

I dont even want to give you a recap because it hasnt been good, mentally, emotionally, nutritionally...what a nightmare. I am starting a sugar detox today, my body really needs it. I did make mahi mahi with avocado-pineapple salsa last night for dinner, so I know that doesnt count. I also ate something yesterday that had me up all night in the bathroom, and it was awful. I keep telling myself to fast but havent done it yet, I am doing it today...putting it on paper so it is "real." I need to pick my motivation up off the floor.
    Marilyn Monroe

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast